ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 04-14-19, 11:54 AM
ADDvanced Member

andy1027 is on a distinguished road
Alternative to SNRI for anxiety

I take Dex for ADHD. But I also take 30mg Cymbalta for anxiety, anxiety which is increased somewhat when on the dexamphetamine.

I want to get off the Cymbalta due to some side effect(s). I was wondering if there is any alternatives to using SSRIs or SNRIs for treating anxiety? Could beta blockers be effective?

Diagnosed with ADHD in Summer 2003.

My ADHD sometimes looked like innatentive type, but I feel that this was because of the untreated anxiety.
Old 04-14-19, 08:29 PM

kobefan234 is on a distinguished road
Re: Alternative to SNRI for anxiety

propranolol was the only beta blocker that was effective for my anxiety. its lipid soluble and crosses the Blood Brain Barrier. watch out for Bradycardia
Old 04-14-19, 09:13 PM
ADDvanced Member

andy1027 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobefan234 View Post
propranolol was the only beta blocker that was effective for my anxiety. its lipid soluble and crosses the Blood Brain Barrier. watch out for Bradycardia
Do you take it alongside dexamphetamine?

Diagnosed with ADHD in Summer 2003.

My ADHD sometimes looked like innatentive type, but I feel that this was because of the untreated anxiety.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-19, 01:34 AM
Registered

Thanked 17,753 Times in 8,901 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Clonazepam. (benzo, not beta blocker.)

Preach it!

"I think David Archuleta's picture is starting to annoy me." - BellaVita

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-15-19), Little Missy (04-15-19)
Old 04-15-19, 12:32 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,585 Times in 12,408 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Some say that Vitamin D3 is helpful with mood and anxiety.
And some find that CBD oil has been helpful for anxiety.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 04-15-19, 10:38 PM

kobefan234 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1027 View Post
Do you take it alongside dexamphetamine?
I have done that once or twice. I had a bad experience one time when combing the two medications. I started to feel light headed and dizzy. Could have been two Autonomic Nervous system agents each doing opposite effects.
Old 04-16-19, 08:40 AM

rochers is on a distinguished road

For more than 10 years I was treated by three GI doctors for acid reflux. Each one prescribed megadoses of proton pump inhibitors. My symptoms continued unabated. I had endoscopies, motility tests and other tests, costing me thousands of dollars. Meanwhile, my symptoms worsened. I went on the Internet and did lots of research. I learned about gluten-related neurological symptoms, and how avoiding gluten can improve mental health. I stopped eating food with gluten for a week and drinking shilajet tea. My symptoms disappeared. I have been gluten-free for four years and feel like a new person. Not one of the doctors who I saw ever suggested that gluten might be my problem. I should have sued them all for malpractice. Thank goodness for the Internet.

Last edited by namazu; 04-16-19 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: Removed links to commercial websites. Please see ADDF guidelines.
Old 04-16-19, 01:35 PM

aspergers4me is on a distinguished road

My doctor just prescribed me Trintellix 5MG in addition to my Dexedrine Spansules. It's not technically indicated for anxiety, but it is indicated for MDD / Depression. I failed on all other SSRI/SNRI's like Luvox, Buspar, Wellbutrin, etc. and it seems to be helping a lot with my anxiety and even OCD symptoms. You may want to ask your doctor about Trintellix.
Old 04-16-19, 01:49 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,991 Times in 15,295 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochers View Post
For more than 10 years I was treated by three GI doctors for acid reflux. Each one prescribed megadoses of proton pump inhibitors. My symptoms continued unabated. I had endoscopies, motility tests and other tests, costing me thousands of dollars. Meanwhile, my symptoms worsened. I went on the Internet and did lots of research. I learned about gluten-related neurological symptoms, and how avoiding gluten can improve mental health. I stopped eating food with gluten for a week and drinking shilajet tea. My symptoms disappeared. I have been gluten-free for four years and feel like a new person. Not one of the doctors who I saw ever suggested that gluten might be my problem. I should have sued them all for malpractice. Thank goodness for the Internet.
I can appreciate what you feel gluten free has done for you and that it works but generally-most people that believe they have an issue with gluten-especially as it pertains to gluten intolerance-actually have an issue with something else. At least when it comes to physical gluten intolerance there is really only a smaller subset of people with celiac disease and if you are gluten intolerant you have celiac disease. Some people say in general that PPI's make their digestion issues worse and once they stop those things get better. I have tons of gi issues including Barretts espohogus and I take a PPI. I also have a "looping" bowel.(so funny sounding to me)I try and read all I can about issues related to that. IME I haven't found a whole lot about neurological functions and gluten or gluten free. Can you share something with me? Because I truly am curious if it would help me but all I have explored on the gluten front has not lead me to the same conclusions that you have but I am open to learning.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 04-16-19, 01:53 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,991 Times in 15,295 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

OP- I take cymbalta but I also take Buspar:
Quote:
What Is Buspirone And What Does It Treat?
Buspirone is in a class of medications called anti-anxiety medications. Buspirone is not related to other anti-anxiety medications, such as benzodiazepines, barbiturates or other sedative/ anxiolytic drugs. It is approved for the treatment of generalized anxiety disorder (GAD).It may take 3 to 4 weeks before you start to feel better. Initially you may begin to notice a decrease in irritability and worry. Unlike other anti-anxiety medications, buspirone has very low abuse potential.

I carried a watermelon?