ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 04-15-18, 09:21 PM

iceman321 is on a distinguished road
Spike in Anxiety for ~60 minutes

Hey all,

I've been taking adderall 15mg IR 1x/day for about 6 months now. After taking the pill, I get an intense spike of anxiety for roughly an hour. Then, the effects of the medication kick in and everything is fine.

I was wondering is this is normal, or if my dosage is too high? If it's too high, would splitting the 15mg tablet in half cause withdrawal symptoms?

Thanks.
Old 04-16-18, 08:02 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,616 Times in 14,588 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Spike in Anxiety for ~60 minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman321 View Post
Hey all,

I've been taking adderall 15mg IR 1x/day for about 6 months now. After taking the pill, I get an intense spike of anxiety for roughly an hour. Then, the effects of the medication kick in and everything is fine.

I was wondering is this is normal, or if my dosage is too high? If it's too high, would splitting the 15mg tablet in half cause withdrawal symptoms?

Thanks.
Its possible that its too much at once but not that the overall dosage is too high. Have you tried splitting the pill?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 04-16-18, 02:38 PM

iceman321 is on a distinguished road

I split the pill in 1/2 today, and in about 30 minutes, I was too fatigued to do anything. I took the other 1/2 and got some energy again for an hourish. Maybe, I didn't sleep too well last night.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-18, 10:13 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,352 Times in 781 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

If you haven't talked to your doc about the anxiety, you need to. Also, before adjusting your dose up or down you should let your Doc know BEFOREHAND unless he/she has explicitly OK'd it previously.

Assuming you have been taking the Adderall pretty much every day and the anxiety happens every day, I would guess it may be the Adderall's effect FOR YOU or it may be an interaction between the Adderall and some diagnosed/undiagnosed issue. Like Sarah suggested, I would think a lower dose may help w/ the anxiety, but it may also reduce how well it addresses your symptoms.

As to taking 15mg IR daily for 6 months and when you cut the dose in half one day you felt unusually fatigued, I would chalk it up to your body became use to the 15 mg of Adderall and it takes more than one day for your body to adjust to the lower dose. In my case I would plan on 2 weeks, but different for everyone. Were you ever at a lower dose for Adderall?

For me I would start w/ how well the Adderall addressed each of your symptoms and were you otherwise satisfied w/ the treatment and its duration? If you were somewhat satisfied w/ the treatment, I would talk to your Doc about the anxiety and about cutting the dose in half for 2 weeks to see if it helps w/ the anxiety. At the end of 2 weeks evaluate how well each of your symptoms were treated as well as anxiety levels. (Daily log?) HTH, -LN
Old 04-17-18, 01:19 PM

alphalpha is on a distinguished road

Hey.. I take a dose double that yours. Yes, this happens initially. For me it came down cost vs benefit of this medication.

There are side-effects like these, but they are minor compared the huge benefits I have seen over the last 3 years I have been taking it.

I was very resistent to starting this medication, I only wish I had started earlier.

If you still dont like it, you can also try Vyvanse. Its mor expesive (if you have CDHP like me ~ 6X), but is gentler and has a longer half-life.