ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD A forum to discuss Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Simple Phobias, and Social Anxiety Disorder

Old 04-08-18, 11:39 PM

Angnremorse is on a distinguished road
Cant stand department stores.

Does anyone have an issue where deprtment stores make them mad tired.. after about a half hour there I cant stand, have to sit and get thirsty. I'm also dizzy and cranky too. I know I've heard about something similar in autistic people but it seems different what they explain.. is this adhd or anxiety maybe? Been like that forever.
Old 04-09-18, 04:18 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,432 Times in 14,466 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cant stand department stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angnremorse View Post
Does anyone have an issue where deprtment stores make them mad tired.. after about a half hour there I cant stand, have to sit and get thirsty. I'm also dizzy and cranky too. I know I've heard about something similar in autistic people but it seems different what they explain.. is this adhd or anxiety maybe? Been like that forever.
Stand alone-well laid out department stores I can tolerate at times (think Boscovs or Kohls) but most times the mall I cant deal with. Its way too many stores under one roof full of people, lights, adds and music.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
stef (04-12-18)
Old 04-09-18, 12:09 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,450 Times in 11,835 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

For me it's the sensory processing disorder that makes big stores crazy-making.
Too much everything: light, noise, smells, people, peripheral movement.
Especially when it's crowded.

And then when I've reached my limit (whether I'm done shopping or not),
I have to stand in line while the scanner beeps loudly as each item is scanned.
All the while having the cashier or the bagger ask me questions or try to have
a conversation. ("Oh that looks good? Have you had it before? Did you like it?"
"Do you want paper or plastic?" Dude, I brought my cloth bags! Use
them!")

I drive 9 miles to shop at a small town Walmart instead of just 3 miles to the
city Walmart even though the small store doesn't have everything that the big
store has. It's not as busy, and the people are much friendlier.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
stef (04-12-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-18, 02:25 AM

Thanked 1,141 Times in 857 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angnremorse View Post
Yes. I know what you mean.

I feel so bad for the kid who is having a meltdown in the mall, usually bundled up in a hot jacket, and made to site in a stroller, while the parents shop, I want to go over to the parents and explain that their child is probably hypersensitive, (but I do not).

Some parents loose it and grab the child in anger, child screaming as they head for the exit.

I hated most of Disney land for similar reasons, (except pirates of the Caribbean) the crowds were also overwhelming.

My whole family was mad at me because I refused to get clown makeup on my face. I cannot stand putting makeup on, I feel like I am going to over heat and smothered.

I hate Halloween for similar reasons.

M
stef (04-12-18)
Old 04-12-18, 05:18 AM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,882 Times in 13,055 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

I have some sensory issues, but I absolutely love the mall; it's a rush and I find it stimulating. When it gets to be too much I go outside for a few minutes, or just leave.

I absolutely hate certain department stores, just because of the lighting or the music or either too crowded, or totally empty (like at a suburban mall on a weekday morning). Also just between different stores of the same chain, it depends on the location.

It's sad to see toddlers in hot jackets, no one seems to realize that may be the source of the tantrum, and if it's not by the time they're screaming and crying, they'll be all overheated anyway.

clown makeup
The Following User Says Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (04-22-18)
Old 04-12-18, 09:48 AM
Contributor

Funky1 is a glorious beacon of lightFunky1 is a glorious beacon of lightFunky1 is a glorious beacon of lightFunky1 is a glorious beacon of lightFunky1 is a glorious beacon of lightFunky1 is a glorious beacon of light

I hate the mentality of people crowded into small spaces together, they can be so mean and disrespectful! I will usually avoid Walmart just for that reason. I can handle malls mostly, in small doses, but they definitely get under my skin if I let them. Holiday shopping is the worst, all the extra light and cheesy music and fake festiveness attempting to cover up the greed and selfishness that seems to get worse every year. Don't even get me started on Black Friday shopping...
Lunacie (04-12-18)
Old 04-12-18, 12:23 PM

Thanked 25,450 Times in 11,835 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
Yes. I know what you mean.

I feel so bad for the kid who is having a meltdown in the mall, usually bundled up in a hot jacket, and made to site in a stroller, while the parents shop, I want to go over to the parents and explain that their child is probably hypersensitive, (but I do not).

Some parents loose it and grab the child in anger, child screaming as they head for the exit.

I hated most of Disney land for similar reasons, (except pirates of the Caribbean) the crowds were also overwhelming.

My whole family was mad at me because I refused to get clown makeup on my face. I cannot stand putting makeup on, I feel like I am going to over heat and smothered.

I hate Halloween for similar reasons.

M
(bolding added by me to reply to just that part of the post)

No one else seems to understand this feeling of wearing makeup.

Even worse than facial makeup is nail polish. My fingers feel totally smothered.
I know it's weird. But that's how it feels to me.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
stef (04-14-18)
Old 04-12-18, 01:01 PM
Contributor

Funky1 is a glorious beacon of lightFunky1 is a glorious beacon of lightFunky1 is a glorious beacon of lightFunky1 is a glorious beacon of lightFunky1 is a glorious beacon of lightFunky1 is a glorious beacon of light

As a man who is attracted to women, I just want to put it out there that I think the overuse of makeup in today's society is disgusting. Makeup is supposed to accent beauty, not be like a layer of war paint.

I don't wear makeup, so I have no real input on this other than to say that I can't stand lip balm, chapstick, etcetera, and for similar reasons. So maybe that is along the same lines...
Little Missy (04-12-18), stef (04-14-18)
Old 04-14-18, 09:55 AM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,882 Times in 13,055 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
(bolding added by me to reply to just that part of the post)

No one else seems to understand this feeling of wearing makeup.

Even worse than facial makeup is nail polish. My fingers feel totally smothered.
I know it's weird. But that's how it feels to me.
I hated the feeling of Hallowen makeup when I was little, so that makes sense.
but my face feels awful without matte foundation, also I love the smooh feeling of nail polish.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (04-14-18), mildadhd (04-22-18)