ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 07-10-17, 05:27 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,269 Times in 13,264 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADHD and Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
I agree about over-analyzing playing, but my daughter and I both learned a lot
from watching the play therapist working/playing with my autistic granddaughter.

I agree about not over-analyzing playing, just want to say that my daughter
and I both learned a lot from watching the play therapist working/playing with
my autistic granddaughter. There wasn't any analyzing going on, but there was
some very good learning happening. Now that she's 15 we leave the room but I
believe the focus is still on using play as a way to interact with the world.
I didnt mean to imply that play therapy wasnt important or that nothing can be learned from play. I just meant maybe such abstract and deep thinking about it is overkill.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (07-10-17)
Old 07-10-17, 10:00 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 23,864 Times in 11,044 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I didnt mean to imply that play therapy wasnt important or that nothing can be learned from play. I just meant maybe such abstract and deep thinking about it is overkill.
I know that's what you meant. That's why I said I agree that over-anaylizing or
over-thinking the whole concept seems rather pointless unless you're studying
play therapy or psychology. Not as a topic on a forum like this one.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 07-10-17, 01:04 PM

mildadhd has disabled reputation

I am a step dad.

I am so thankful step dads often do not have the authority to discipline their step children.

Instead of punishing my step son, I took him to the park, and played.

Playing does not cost money.

Most of all playing is fun.

What could be more rewarding to a child than playing?

m
someothertime (07-25-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-17, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJMom614 View Post
.. Have you seen a difference in your child's behavior? Does it smooth out the tough times?
We definitely communicate better after supervised free play.

Walking to and from the park also promotes the essential healthy attachment and attunment relationship

After an hour or two, of supervised free play, we would often get daily chores done, without protest.

M
Old 07-10-17, 01:41 PM

Thanked 23,864 Times in 11,044 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm waiting for the library loan system to get this book to me. I'm interested
in seeing how I can incorporate a more playful attitude into my life as an adult.
The book was written for adults. If I can become more playful in general, it
could help me deal with my granddaughter when she's being more ODD.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 07-10-17, 02:18 PM
Contributor

Caco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
I do not remember completing a book or even an a short story, or a even round of pitch and putt golf, until the about age of 35 and when I started taking medication.

After I started taking medication, I bought and read a child's book about "learning to play golf".

I have learned to play golf waaaaay better with medication.

There is a type of emotional PLAY that is genetic, that we do not need to learn.

The first type of PLAY is instinctual.

That is the type of play I am first and foremost focusing on.

"Free play" that promotes the development of higher executive functions, when the child feels supervised safe.

Safe supervised free play is a way to promote brain development of higher executive functions, years before taking ADHD medication is even an option.

M
LOL, ok, I have to say though every time I see my son "free playing" there does not appear to be ANY higher executive functions going on. If he is 14 now that makes him about 10 after the 30% ADHD issue, and when he is free playing I'm guessing his age is about 4! But he's still adorable so I guess I'll keep him.
The Following User Says Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (07-10-17)
Old 07-10-17, 08:36 PM

Free play being associated immaturity.

If people who have AD(H)D have higher executive functions' that are 30% less mature, are we 30% more playful and require 30% more free play?

M
Old 07-11-17, 08:29 AM
Contributor

Caco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Free play being associated immaturity.

If people who have AD(H)D have higher executive functions' that are 30% less mature, are we 30% more playful and require 30% more free play?

M
I can agree with that. My son is not a couch potato. He needs to be up and active, be it playing or running or working out. Sitting still is not his thing. Also, when we discuss majors, college, and future careers; his ADHD leanings of not being inside, and being active are a main focus. While he is brilliant at math, the idea of him being an accountant at a desk all day is out of the question. Sitting still is counter to who he is.
mildadhd (07-11-17)
Old 07-11-17, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caco3girl View Post
I can agree with that. My son is not a couch potato. He needs to be up and active, be it playing or running or working out. Sitting still is not his thing. Also, when we discuss majors, college, and future careers; his ADHD leanings of not being inside, and being active are a main focus. While he is brilliant at math, the idea of him being an accountant at a desk all day is out of the question. Sitting still is counter to who he is.

Interesting.

Affective Neuroscientist Jaak Panksepp wondered about making recess (a type of supervised free play) the first class of every school day, partly to help the more hyperkinetic children.

M
Old 07-14-17, 02:02 PM

I wonder if it is ok to say PLAY promotes "social rehearsal"?

M
Old 07-15-17, 12:12 AM

Thanked 10,549 Times in 5,197 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
LOL, ok, I have to say though every time I see my son "free playing" there does not appear to be ANY higher executive functions going on. If he is 14 now that makes him about 10 after the 30% ADHD issue, and when he is free playing I'm guessing his age is about 4! But he's still adorable so I guess I'll keep him.
That's debatable , remember not every kid with ADHD is the same

play helps develop planning, reconstitution, and the ability to internalize imagery, a function crucial to goal directed behavior and self regulation. primary executive dysfunctions in ADHD.

I don't think anyone thinks it will cure ADHD or make it a gift. But maybe HElp alter the end results, which varies greatly and can be the difference in quality of life
Old 07-17-17, 09:18 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Interesting.

Affective Neuroscientist Jaak Panksepp wondered about making recess (a type of supervised free play) the first class of every school day, partly to help the more hyperkinetic children.

M
Not a good plan. It's in my son's IEP that any gym classes should be at the end of the day, and his harder classes should be in the beginning of the day. When gym is 1st or second period he burns through his meds WAY faster and they are gone by lunch.
Old 07-17-17, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Not a good plan. It's in my son's IEP that any gym classes should be at the end of the day, and his harder classes should be in the beginning of the day. When gym is 1st or second period he burns through his meds WAY faster and they are gone by lunch.
Very interesting.

I did not take medication when I was in school.

I take medication when I get up in the morning and afternoon, and it works better, and I feel happier, if I take breaks and get some exercise.

The acting duration of my medication is pretty consistent, I have never noticed it working less, unless I do not get enough sleep, or need a rare medication holiday.

I would have been all for recess being first class in the morning and gym being the last class in the day.

I probably would have wanted to go to school in the morning and not want to leave in the afternoon.

I was also thinking supervised free play, early before trying the medication option and also possibly reducing misdiagnosis (early in life), recognize kids learning preferences, help teachers recognize individual children's temperaments and help provide accommodations, holiday treatment options, etc.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 07-17-17 at 08:14 PM..
Old 07-18-17, 09:29 AM
Contributor

My son takes 40mg Adderal XR at 6am when I wake him up. That has to last him until 3:30, it usually does.

At one point he was on 20mg Adderal in the morning and 20mg Adderal after lunch but the new dr. was concerned about the addictive qualities of the instant release tablets, and wanted him on the XR versions.

It's easier on me since I would have to hand carry the medicine to school every month and they are open when I am at work, so that wasn't really working out well for me.

He wasn't formerly diagnosed until 8th grade, he was very active and had a lot of play in his life but it didn't keep the brain fog away.
mildadhd (07-18-17)
Old 07-20-17, 05:27 PM

Quote:
I am not anti medication.

I think supervised free play is the first line treatment for AD(H)D, years before medication is an option.

Do you think supervised free play was your son's first line of treatment?

Do you think recess being the first class and gym being the last class would have been a good plan, before your son was old enough to start taking medication?

m