ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 06-27-17, 02:13 PM

GJMom614 is on a distinguished road
ADHD and Play

I am a mom of two, and my younger son (10) has many symptoms of ADHD, though he has not been diagnosed. I have spent a lot of years finding resources and strategies that help manage his symptoms and behavior.

As an early childhood educator, I know how different every child can be – and diagnosis or not, knowing what he needs has made life so much calmer for all of us. The foundation of my philosophy in my preschool classroom is that children need play to thrive.

I’ve found that this helps at home, too, and the more playful we all are, the easier it is for my son to stay in control and enjoy life. Negative self-talk is a huge issue for him, and finding playful ways to change that has made a big difference (for instance, he substitutes a nonsense word (snarkydoodles) for “dumb.” It makes him laugh, and then the moment of negativity passes.

I read a great book, Playdhd, by Dr. Kirsten Milliken that has helped me look at play as a resource. Though this book has a focus on adults with ADHD, the suggestions work for any age. Play is so important – and she has some great ideas and suggestions on how to be more playful to help manage ADHD.

Anyone else used Play as a treatment? Have you seen a difference in your child's behavior? Does it smooth out the tough times?

Last edited by namazu; 06-27-17 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: Removed comments advertising social media events.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GJMom614 For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (06-27-17), someothertime (07-11-17)
Old 06-29-17, 10:35 AM
Contributor

Caco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of light
Re: ADHD and Play

Um, I don't get it.

My 14 year old son plays baseball, but his adhd has affected him even there. If you are focused on the people walking on the outside of the fence it's difficult to see the fly ball coming at you.

Now that he is medicated on game days his concentration is better and he's a more effective baseball player.
Old 06-29-17, 10:47 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 23,846 Times in 11,034 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

It's something that comes naturally to me, and at times it has worked with my
grandkids but for some reason my autistic granddaughter has decided that I'm
trying to manipulate her when I try to lighten things up with humor.

Really, I guess it worked best when the girls were little. Once they hit their pre-
teens they change in so many ways.

She's been seeing a therapist for 10 years (different one before that) who
specializes in play-therapy, and he's been very helpful for all of us.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-17, 03:01 PM

mildadhd has disabled reputation

Yes. Supervised free play is the first line of prevention, lessening of severity and treatment for ADHD, years before medication is even an option.

M
Old 06-29-17, 06:00 PM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Just went to Amazon to see more info on this book, and oh geeze, it's about
ADHD being a "gift." I won't be spending any money on it.

But, because I tend to be depressed and have anxiety, maybe a little light-
hearted humor could be helpful. So I checked with the interlibrary loan system.

Bam. Requested. Will wait to read it ... as long as the font isn't too tiny for me
to actually read. I read large print these days.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 06-30-17, 01:07 AM

Laughter.

I have not read the book mentioned in the OP.

I am really interested in everything about supervised free play and ADHD, and will put the book on my list.

It is amazing how many essential developmental needs can be provided through supervised free play, without actually knowing much about the sciences involved.

Fun.

Quote:
Quote:
Laughter is the clearest signal that natural play urges are being engaged (Panksepp, 2007). Many years ago, Plato extolled the benefits of free play — “those natural modes of amusement which children find out for themselves when they meet”; continuing in The Republic [section IV] he insisted that “our children from their earliest years must take part in all the more lawful forms of play, for if they are not surrounded by such an atmosphere they can never grow up to be well conducted and virtuous citizens.” To reduce the rising incidence of ADHD, perhaps we should follow Plato’s advice and encourage more free play. More natural play may facilitate the growth of pro-social brains and minds and keep the incidence of ADHD to a minimum (Panksepp, 1998b, 2001)

http://neuroself.files.wordpress.com...d-and-play.pdf

Last edited by mildadhd; 06-30-17 at 01:19 AM..
Old 06-30-17, 08:13 AM
Contributor

Caco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
Just went to Amazon to see more info on this book, and oh geeze, it's about
ADHD being a "gift." I won't be spending any money on it.

But, because I tend to be depressed and have anxiety, maybe a little light-
hearted humor could be helpful. So I checked with the interlibrary loan system.

Bam. Requested. Will wait to read it ... as long as the font isn't too tiny for me
to actually read. I read large print these days.
I am dyslexic and I read a book about the gift of dyslexia and it made sense. Many innovative people have been dyslexic. I do think very differently than other people, come up with options and plans that are very outside the box. However, I have seen nothing in my 2 ADHD kids that would lead me to believe ADHD is a "gift".

It's like there is a curtain they have see through just to live in our society, sometimes it's semi transparent, other times it's jet black. For my daughter who is both ADHD and dyslexic I fear she will never find peace in this world.
The Following User Says Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (06-30-17)
Old 06-30-17, 11:00 AM

I think it would be good to consider the type of play that feels good, the type of play that makes us laugh, and enjoy ourselves

The opposite of distressful experiences that make ADHD worse, there is a type of play that makes things better.

I did not read the book but I did not think the OP topic was limited to the book and author that inspired the OP thread topic.

In my opinion to turn this thread discussion about "is ADHD a gift?" is off track.

There is a type of play that is essential for healthy brain development.

M
Old 06-30-17, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
I think it would be good to consider the type of play that feels good, the type of play that makes us laugh, and enjoy ourselves

The opposite of distressful experiences that make ADHD worse, there is a type of play that makes things better.

I did not read the book but I did not think the OP topic was limited to the book and author that inspired the OP thread topic.

In my opinion to turn this thread discussion about "is ADHD a gift?" is off track.

There is a type of play that is essential for healthy brain development.

M
After I've read the book I'll report back on whether the author really is saying
that playful attitude can release the "gifts" of adhd. From the blurb and some
of the comments on Amazon, it looks like that's what she means.

The blurb says that "play is the pathway to being an ADHD superstar!"
And lists a bunch of people who have been successful "superstars" despite
having adhd.

But most of us understand that even though they've found a way to be a
superstar in one aspect of their lives, they may be struggling in other areas.
Just like any other demographic, a few are superstars while others are pretty
ordinary. I find it really irritating when someone tells us that we should all be
superstars because otherwise we're what ... a waste of space?

Old 06-30-17, 09:06 PM

I am focusing on playing that is fun.

Example.

Play that promotes friendship.

Last edited by mildadhd; 06-30-17 at 09:16 PM..
Old 07-01-17, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJMom614 View Post

..Anyone else used Play as a treatment?..
Yes, i have inherited PLAY from my biological parents and playing has been a huge factor in ADHD treatment, both before and after diagnosis.

M
Old 07-03-17, 02:25 AM

Is it possible that some people have underaroused PLAY systems'?

I wonder how many people (ADHD, or not) are born with overaroused PLAY systems'?

m
Old 07-09-17, 05:48 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,218 Times in 13,234 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I think we are overthinking playing. let it happen but dont over-analyse it.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (07-09-17), someothertime (07-25-17)
Old 07-09-17, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I think we are overthinking playing. let it happen but dont over-analyse it.
I agree about over-analyzing playing, but my daughter and I both learned a lot
from watching the play therapist working/playing with my autistic granddaughter.

I agree about not over-analyzing playing, just want to say that my daughter
and I both learned a lot from watching the play therapist working/playing with
my autistic granddaughter. There wasn't any analyzing going on, but there was
some very good learning happening. Now that she's 15 we leave the room but I
believe the focus is still on using play as a way to interact with the world.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
sarahsweets (07-09-17), someothertime (07-25-17)
Old 07-09-17, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caco3girl View Post
Um, I don't get it.

My 14 year old son plays baseball, but his adhd has affected him even there. If you are focused on the people walking on the outside of the fence it's difficult to see the fly ball coming at you.

Now that he is medicated on game days his concentration is better and he's a more effective baseball player.

I do not remember completing a book or even an a short story, or a even round of pitch and putt golf, until the about age of 35 and when I started taking medication.

After I started taking medication, I bought and read a child's book about "learning to play golf".

I have learned to play golf waaaaay better with medication.

There is a type of emotional PLAY that is genetic, that we do not need to learn.

The first type of PLAY is instinctual.

That is the type of play I am first and foremost focusing on.

"Free play" that promotes the development of higher executive functions, when the child feels supervised safe.

Safe supervised free play is a way to promote brain development of higher executive functions, years before taking ADHD medication is even an option.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 07-09-17 at 02:34 PM..