ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 05-16-18, 12:25 AM
Jr Member

ilovereian will become famous soon enough
My history with Adderall, atenolol.

I'm new here and just want to share.

I'm a dialysis tech so I stick needles in people. I was on Ritalin/Concerta while back and told my doc that my shakes and that the meds are making it worst so he got me atenolol. He said eye surgeons take it before they do surgery to keep a steady hand and that was perfect cause I'm in the same realm.

I'm naturally manic and got energy so the atenolol lowered my pressure and heart rate back to normal and a bit below normal but I wasn't shaking and was real calm. Since atenolol is an unapproved anti anxiety meds, this was perfect.

I had the focus from adderall and I had atenolol to reduce my heart rate so I was calm and not be so urgent for no reason. It was nice to be eager to finish my tasks and not have this imaginary urgent time clock counting down. I was able to just calm down. I don't like body energy. I can always get body energy if I have mental energy.

Also I went up to 20mg XR Adderall and it gave me anxiety and made my symptoms worst. So I had excess pills from before of 10mg XR and I staggered it 2 hours apart. That worked way better. The timing of the delivery helped a lot.

I have inattention and focus issues so it was a low enough dose where I would activate a small bit of urgency of being ADHD but enough meds in me where I could redirect my focus right away if I did get distracted and be little bit more present. And the atenolol helped enough where I wouldnt get overly urgent and manic like.

I've tried going up a dose and seeing the difference of a 20mg a day to 60mg a day and Id rather have 10mg XR staggered 2 hours apart and a 10mg IR 4 hours before my responsibilities are done. Than a 20mg XR with a booster later. Just didn't work.

But I work 430am to 4pm so I need the coverage. If I take my second dose of XR past 8am.

I take notes of all the doses I got and so I don't want to screw myself and do things recreational but to actually help me with my ADHD.

So for those who have an overly opened mind for perfection and learning that gets you energy, if you are on 20mg XR try to get 10mg XR and take two, staggered 2 or 3 hours apart. Since it's double pulse delivery, your constantly having peaks and no real dips.

And atenolol if you are naturally have this fight or flight tendency. I do so the atenolol calms me out so my adrenaline isnt triggering for no reason.

I don't like taking IR multiple times of the day cause the peaks and dips are more pronounced than XR but I might need to cause of that ED thing I'm in with these meds.
Old 05-16-18, 09:10 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,982 Times in 14,787 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My history with Adderall, atenolol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovereian View Post
I'm new here and just want to share.

I'm a dialysis tech so I stick needles in people. I was on Ritalin/Concerta while back and told my doc that my shakes and that the meds are making it worst so he got me atenolol. He said eye surgeons take it before they do surgery to keep a steady hand and that was perfect cause I'm in the same realm.

I'm naturally manic and got energy so the atenolol lowered my pressure and heart rate back to normal and a bit below normal but I wasn't shaking and was real calm. Since atenolol is an unapproved anti anxiety meds, this was perfect.

I had the focus from adderall and I had atenolol to reduce my heart rate so I was calm and not be so urgent for no reason. It was nice to be eager to finish my tasks and not have this imaginary urgent time clock counting down. I was able to just calm down. I don't like body energy. I can always get body energy if I have mental energy.
I was surprised when I looked this up. Yes, some beta blockers and alpha agonists are used for adhd but this isnt one of them. If anything this one is a heavy hitter for things like congestive heart failure, post heart attacks and serious heart issues. I cant even find any off label info about it. In fact nowhere could I find it listed as something to be used for shaky hands or anxiety. With that in mind, I personally would not use it for the reasons you mention. I mean I know I am not a doctor but still....

Quote:
Also I went up to 20mg XR Adderall and it gave me anxiety and made my symptoms worst. So I had excess pills from before of 10mg XR and I staggered it 2 hours apart. That worked way better. The timing of the delivery helped a lot.

I have inattention and focus issues so it was a low enough dose where I would activate a small bit of urgency of being ADHD but enough meds in me where I could redirect my focus right away if I did get distracted and be little bit more present. And the atenolol helped enough where I wouldnt get overly urgent and manic like.
Why not consistently take a lower dose overall and not use an extra med? Just curious.

Quote:
I've tried going up a dose and seeing the difference of a 20mg a day to 60mg a day and Id rather have 10mg XR staggered 2 hours apart and a 10mg IR 4 hours before my responsibilities are done. Than a 20mg XR with a booster later. Just didn't work.
Wait, your doctor told you to go from 20mg to 60mg even though the 20mg was giving you such anxiety?

Quote:
But I work 430am to 4pm so I need the coverage. If I take my second dose of XR past 8am.

I take notes of all the doses I got and so I don't want to screw myself and do things recreational but to actually help me with my ADHD.
Do you mean you have used this recreationally in the past?

Quote:
So for those who have an overly opened mind for perfection and learning that gets you energy, if you are on 20mg XR try to get 10mg XR and take two, staggered 2 or 3 hours apart. Since it's double pulse delivery, your constantly having peaks and no real dips.
Adderall should not be used for "perfection" and learning. It is meant for adhd. I am not sure what you mean by double pulse delivery.

Quote:
And atenolol if you are naturally have this fight or flight tendency. I do so the atenolol calms me out so my adrenaline isnt triggering for no reason.

I don't like taking IR multiple times of the day cause the peaks and dips are more pronounced than XR but I might need to cause of that ED thing I'm in with these meds.
I do not think you should recommend a med like this. It is not one of the typical off label meds prescribed for adhd and many recommend being monitored by a cardiologist while taking it.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 05-16-18, 01:53 PM
Jr Member

ilovereian will become famous soon enough

Dont have to over analyze my post. Life is fluid with experiments and being structured. I'm starting to take meds.

I'm not taking atenolol for ADHD. Everyone has different personality traits that's not ADHD related so my regimens and mindset isn't the same as others. I have a personality of a perfectionist and always figuring out a better way and its hard for me to be content. Kinda manic when I reach it. So I had shakes. Kinda like performance anxiety but really confident in myself. Having confidence that's arrogantly high and fear of failure is a weird mix.

Beta blockers are also given to those with my spasm, twitching and also BP medicine. I'm in dialysis, my patients also take beta blockers for hypertension. My coworker has a shaky leg and she was on a beta blocker that was stronger than mine. It reduced her tremors.

The atenolol lowered my heart rate while on Ritalin and adderall. So I can do my job better. Nothing ADHD related. When I wasn't on meds I can stick patients fine with a bit of hand shaking but stimulants made it worst. I wouldnt take it on days off, I'm not sticking needles in people. Atenolol helped. So for those I'm my situation could look into it. Others don't have too.

Yes I took doses more than prescribed. I took opiates recreationally. I do like beer and opiates and weed.Not ADHD meds. I get no pleasure in the feelings of ADHD meds. Just the reward of finally getting things done is rewarding enough. ADHD meds at a high dose gives me anxiety. No buzz or euphoria or happiness. Just focus. I have the energy naturally. Which the atenolol helped with reducing the increased body energy from the meds. Want to find the right dose for me. I saw my doc every week. So a couple days before I come in, ill add a little to my dose and tell him. I take notes every day when I change doses and I read it to him. Its my personality. I am determined to figure out stuff I'm into. And I'm into stablalizing my symptoms. And yes. We are doing 5 mg. Been doing that. Doesnt work as well as two 10mg staggered 2 hours apart. How my work life is structured, it fits. IR timing is harder to be consistent with my work schedule. I would need 4 downtimes to take my pills where I can't. I only got two. By noon I'm a babbling goof at work and doing things last minute. So rather not do 5 mg IR 6 times a day. I go by production not numbers so I understand the dosage is the same but we all have different metabolisms. I was taking Concerta 54 mg and by the 2nd hour I'm babbling and totally unfocused when its marketed as 12hours. Ritalin helped me be productive for 2 hours max. No matter how much I take in a single dose. I think I was at 72 mg a day and that's only by noon. So we switched to Adderall.

I didnt read your post fully as you went into my post with an unrelated mindset.

So in short for those who have similar conditions as me... If you have an openness personality traits with some neuroticism and a bit of an attention ***** and taking stimulants but the body energy is too much. Your heart rate is probably high and norepinephrine is too high. Give atenolol a try. I don't need an increase of norepinephrine.. Atenolol will calm that part down.

Thanks for the reply though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I was surprised when I looked this up. Yes, some beta blockers and alpha agonists are used for adhd but this isnt one of them. If anything this one is a heavy hitter for things like congestive heart failure, post heart attacks and serious heart issues. I cant even find any off label info about it. In fact nowhere could I find it listed as something to be used for shaky hands or anxiety. With that in mind, I personally would not use it for the reasons you mention. I mean I know I am not a doctor but still....

Why not consistently take a lower dose overall and not use an extra med? Just curious.

Wait, your doctor told you to go from 20mg to 60mg even though the 20mg was giving you such anxiety?

Do you mean you have used this recreationally in the past?

Adderall should not be used for "perfection" and learning. It is meant for adhd. I am not sure what you mean by double pulse delivery.

I do not think you should recommend a med like this. It is not one of the typical off label meds prescribed for adhd and many recommend being monitored by a cardiologist while taking it.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-18, 04:26 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,982 Times in 14,787 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovereian View Post

The atenolol lowered my heart rate while on Ritalin and adderall. So I can do my job better. Nothing ADHD related. When I wasn't on meds I can stick patients fine with a bit of hand shaking but stimulants made it worst. I wouldnt take it on days off, I'm not sticking needles in people. Atenolol helped. So for those I'm my situation could look into it. Others don't have too.
I get it... and I get that beta blockers are used for adhd and anxiety sometimes but this one in particular I have never heard of being used for anything related to mental health. I know that clonidine, propanolol, intuiv can be used for these reasons.
Quote:
Yes I took doses more than prescribed. I took opiates recreationally. I do like beer and opiates and weed.Not ADHD meds. I get no pleasure in the feelings of ADHD meds. Just the reward of finally getting things done is rewarding enough. ADHD meds at a high dose gives me anxiety. No buzz or euphoria or happiness. Just focus. I have the energy naturally. Which the atenolol helped with reducing the increased body energy from the meds.
Taking more than prescribed is always risky but you know that. Combining opiates and alcohol is extremely risky. And recreational use of drugs like this puts someone at risk for addiction and dependence.

Quote:
I didnt read your post fully as you went into my post with an unrelated mindset.
What makes you think I have an unrelated mindset? I have taken beta blockers for adhd and anxiety and I am an alcoholic in recovery well versed on self medicating- I think I related a lot more than you believe.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 05-17-18, 09:20 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,352 Times in 781 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Hey ILR, Just an observation from OP. One XR dose is designed to mimic 2 staggered IR doses. Adding another XR dose between the first doses window is exactly like 4 IR doses staggered. You wouldn't expect much difference between the IR and XR wrt peaks and dips. In my experience once I found the "right" dose FOR ME the duration was consistent and no observable/felt peaks or valleys. GL, -LN

PS Dex may help w/ the jitters if the Adderall doesn't work-out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (05-17-18)