ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 02-01-14, 06:41 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,819 Times in 14,172 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Ginkgo biloba

There was recently a thread by someone taking both ginkgo and adderall repprting very promosing results. In my excitement I bought the supplement and am only now reading up on it.

Apparently some studies have shown a positive effect on concentration and memory but others have shown little improvement compared to placebo. Baically the results are inconclusive.

What's worrying me a bit is that:

1. It's a blood thinner and I already take omega 3, which jas blood thinning effects as well

2. It's suspected to inhibit reuptake of serotonin and norepinephrine. I'm not taking any anti depressants at the moment but I also read that it migjt inhibit mono amine oxidase and if I remember right you are not supposed to take maoi s with stimulants.

I should probably just leave it, stick to omega 3 but I'm curious.

Has anyone has any ezperience with this? Positove negative useless?
Old 02-01-14, 10:52 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 17,520 Times in 7,316 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ginkgo biloba

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article....ticleid=185120

Ginkgo biloba is marketed widely and used with the hope of improving, preventing, or delaying cognitive impairment associated with aging and neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer disease. The primary outcome analysis from the Ginkgo Evaluation of Memory (GEM) study, the largest completed randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled dementia prevention trial to date,1 found that G biloba, 120 mg twice daily, was not effective in reducing the incidence of Alzheimer dementia or dementia overall.

Beyond consideration of a clinical dementia outcome, however, it is possible that G biloba may have had more subtle, therapeutic effects on the rate of cognitive change. Specifically, G biloba may have prevented or delayed age-related changes in individuals with normal cognition, or G biloba may have slowed the rate of decline in those characterized as having mild cognitive impairment (MCI). Indeed, in the United States and particularly in Europe, G biloba is perhaps the most widely used herbal treatment consumed specifically to prevent age-related cognitive decline.2 Putative mechanisms of action on brain functioning include vascular effects such as cerebral vasorelaxation and reduction of blood viscosity,3,4 reduction of oxygen free radicals,5 and neurotransmitter system effects.6,7 Moreover, some in vitro studies indicate that G biloba may inhibit amyloid aggregation, suggesting another mechanism of preventing or delaying cognitive decline associated with Alzheimer disease.8

To date, adequately powered, longer-duration clinical trials testing the effect of G biloba on the rate of cognitive decline in aging have been lacking. Most reported human studies of the cognitive effects of G biloba in individuals without dementia have been restricted by very small samples and limiting design features9 such as acute administration,10- 12 short-term treatment intervals,13 combinations of agents,14 or study of younger healthy volunteers.11,14

The present study reports on cognitive decline as an a priori secondary outcome of the GEM study.15 The aims were to (1) determine if G biloba affected the rate of global cognitive change; (2) determine if G biloba had differential effects in specific cognitive domains; ie, memory, language, visuospatial construction, attention, and executive functions; and (3) examine whether baseline cognitive status, presence of APOE*E4 allele, age, sex, race, or education modified any effects of G biloba treatment on cognitive change.

The study was directed more towards cognitive decline in older adults, but included study of many other trials. Full text is free.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amtram For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (05-10-19), Fuzzy12 (02-01-14), userguide (04-30-19)
Old 04-29-19, 08:25 AM
ADDvanced Member

PI-ADHD 29 is on a distinguished road

I've ordered ginkgo leaf. It's not arrived me yet. I'm planning to drink leaf tea. I'll write here my experiences.
Started with ritalin (worked only for two weeks)
Also tried wellbutrin and strattera
Now: ritalin and medikinet
For about three years local corticosteroid pomades for atopic dermatitis.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-19, 04:30 PM
Contributor

20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all
The Chinese Are Working On It...

But we don't have the results of their review of the literature on ADHD & Gingko preparations yet: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5855296/ Efficacy and safety of ginkgo preparations for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: a systematic review protocol (2018).

Stay tuned.

Meanwhile I will add that I take it...with Phosphatidylserine when I have it, because I read somewhere this combo might help. And it very well might, but I take so many things it's hard to tease out which are the most helpful...until I run out, as recently happened with N-Acetyl-Carnitine.

My current bets are that the increased dosage to 4000 mg of Omega 3's plus N-Acetyl-Carnitine are doing the most for my depression, and Pycnogenol and Ginkgo + Phosphatidylserine are doing the most for my ability to focus and move ahead (though not as much as Strattera plus Vyvanse or Adderall).

Ginseng (P.Ginseng) and Rhodiola seem to do the most for my sociability.

Just my opinion.
Old 05-10-19, 06:15 PM
Contributor

20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all
Error Above...Should Be Acetyl-L-Carnitine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20thcenturyfox View Post
... I take so many things it's hard to tease out which are the most helpful...until I run out, as recently happened with N-Acetyl-Carnitine.

My current bets are that the increased dosage to 4000 mg of Omega 3's plus N-Acetyl-Carnitine are doing the most for my depression....
I used the wrong name for the supplement I take...should have been Acetyl-L-Carnitine, also known as ALCAR.
Old 05-12-19, 09:02 AM
ADDvanced Member

PI-ADHD 29 is on a distinguished road

I've made and drink gingko leaf tea for 5-6 days. I drank it at evenings. The first day i felt some focus effect but no motivation at all. After the first day i didn't felt any good effet. It made me a little sleepy and very aggressive. In brief, I didn't like it and i don't think to use it more.
Started with ritalin (worked only for two weeks)
Also tried wellbutrin and strattera
Now: ritalin and medikinet
For about three years local corticosteroid pomades for atopic dermatitis.
Old 11-21-19, 07:50 PM

InnerCircle is on a distinguished road

Ginkgo biloba, derived from the leaves of the ginkgo biloba tree, is often touted as a memory aid but it appears unlikely that ginkgo biloba can prevent age-related memory problems or memory loss associated with mild cognitive impairment or Alzheimer's disease. A number of small, early studies showed modest improvements in cognitive function for older adults with dementia. However, a number of larger studies haven't been able to confirm that ginkgo biloba prevents memory loss or slows the progression of cognitive decline or Alzheimer's disease in older adults. Although several more-recent studies have found slight improvements in cognitive function for people taking ginkgo biloba, most experts feel that ginkgo biloba hasn't lived up to its early promise and don't recommend its use as a memory aid.

RXed: Concerta, Ritalin, Abilify
Old 11-21-19, 10:20 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,560 Times in 10,876 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerCircle View Post
Ginkgo biloba, derived from the leaves of the ginkgo biloba tree, is often touted as a memory aid but it appears unlikely that ginkgo biloba can prevent age-related memory problems or memory loss associated with mild cognitive impairment or Alzheimer's disease. A number of small, early studies showed modest improvements in cognitive function for older adults with dementia. However, a number of larger studies haven't been able to confirm that ginkgo biloba prevents memory loss or slows the progression of cognitive decline or Alzheimer's disease in older adults. Although several more-recent studies have found slight improvements in cognitive function for people taking ginkgo biloba, most experts feel that ginkgo biloba hasn't lived up to its early promise and don't recommend its use as a memory aid.
^ This is a direct quote from Jonathan Graff-Radford, MD, who was answering the question "Can Ginkgo biloba prevent memory loss and improve cognitive function?" here. It's always helpful and honorable to credit your sources!
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (11-21-19)
Old 11-21-19, 11:45 PM

InnerCircle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
^ This is a direct quote from Jonathan Graff-Radford, MD, who was answering the question "Can Ginkgo biloba prevent memory loss and improve cognitive function?" here. It's always helpful and honorable to credit your sources!
Oh sorry - Graff-Radford, J. (2019). Ginkgo biloba. Retrieved from https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...q-20058119?p=1

RXed: Concerta, Ritalin, Abilify
The Following User Says Thank You to InnerCircle For This Useful Post:
namazu (11-21-19)