ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 02-10-09, 07:41 PM

DCadult-Inatt is on a distinguished road
Medical Sensitivity: Inattentive Adult

I wonder if other inattentive folks struggle with medication sensitivity? Years ago I was first put on Ritalin. 10mg a day. It helped so much, but I was tense and had a rough come down every night. I pulled myself off for years with struggle and then tried Vyvanse. 30mg was more than enough. I feel like it gave me tense joints and a tense neck. The days I just took 1/2 were much better. Took myself off from the constant stiff neck. I like it best, but wonder if I should stay on.

Anyone have a similar story? What is working?

More info: Lifelong sensitivity to medication, scents, touch, etc. It's not debilitating, just present. I can hear the laptop, cable box, fridge, cars going by, HVAC, and my thoughts are similarly all over the place.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DCadult-Inatt For This Useful Post:
collapsingwave (02-21-09), oreomunky (05-06-13)
Old 02-11-09, 12:18 AM

lovelyophelia will become famous soon enough
Re: Medical Sensitivity: Inattentive Adult

I have a similar story, and similar background info.

I was only diagnosed a few months ago, and started on dex ir and moved to dex xr. I find I get really stressed out and tense on just 10mg a day. During the titrating process I almost had an overdose at 30mg. The 10mg a day I'm on lasts 17 or 18 hours! I'm going to go to my doctor and ask what some other options are. Maybe he'll suggest a different medication? I don't know. Good luck, and let me know how it goes.
Old 02-19-09, 11:26 PM

teryglenn1 is on a distinguished road

I have been diagnosed with Inattentive ADD and I also experience high sensitivities to meds. I have pretty much tried every med in the book and I haven't been able to tolerate any of them. I have even tried Strattera and Provigil with no luck.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-09, 11:41 PM
Contributor

bobC has a spectacular aura aboutbobC has a spectacular aura about

Yep innatentive + untreated for a long time ment you spent years with below normal levels of dopamine + NE. The brain upregulates receptors to deal with the low levels.

Once we start treatment everything from effect to the feedback circuts that clear out NE have to downregulate to more normal levels.

This is a slow process and is very similar to how above normal levels of dopamine downregulates dopamine receptors which causes "tolerance".

We are simply downregulating to a more normal state. It may be possible to speed this process up via alpha2 agonists like tenex/clonidine, but taking them does increase NE reuptake and makes the stimulant meds more up and down. They can be taken @ bedtime as a sleep aid though.

BobC
The Following User Says Thank You to bobC For This Useful Post:
DCadult-Inatt (03-07-09)
Old 02-20-09, 12:59 AM
Contributor

Scarletta has a spectacular aura aboutScarletta has a spectacular aura about

I'm inattentive and have am not sensitive to most medicines. I take a bigger dose of Adderall (60 mg IR a day) and sometimes feel like that doesn't cover me for the whole day.
Ritalin I was on 75 mg a day and it made me feel like total crap, didn't help out at all, made me dizzy, exhausted, sleep all the time, nauseated.
But I just think it was a reaction to that drug, no a sensitivity to meds in general.
If you've only been on Ritalin and Vyvanse you can't really tell....there are other meds to try that simply might work better with your body chemistry.
Old 02-21-09, 06:47 AM

collapsingwave is on a distinguished road

Very similar. very inattentive. very med sensitive and stimulus sensitive.

Tried Ritalin and had an amazing 20 mins, a wierd hour, a couple of paranoid hours and a 3 day hangover. Think that that put me in the 'hyper sensitive to amphetamine' basket.
On strattera now for about 5 weeks. Built up slowly to 100mg and had a very odd few days everytime I upped the dose and not really enjoying life at the moment. I can feel that the med is working because I have had a few flashes of great clarity about the shape of my life but I've been unable to act upon it- it feels as though the solution is behind glass and I can't reach it...

I have had some good success with the good old fish oils and have been mixing them up with flax seed oils too (something to do with the 3/6/9 ratios)

I was wondering if people with med sensitivity would post meds and doses to give us all a better idea of what may be more useful to us sensitive souls...

Need a better idea than this strattera esp. as it is not funded here in NZ
Old 02-21-09, 05:38 PM
Contributor

bobC has a spectacular aura aboutbobC has a spectacular aura about

I'm on dexedrine IR 20-25mg per day. I take it every 4 hours and usually start off the morning with 10mg. So thats 10mg @ 7am, 5mg ~10am, 5mg @ 2pm, 5mg @ 6pm.

This dosage seems to keep my dopamine levels very close to normal. However I miss some of the higher NE effects I had while taking adderall.

I tried a low dosage of an old NE specific drug with a long half life (desipramine) without success. Presently i'm taking 37.5mg of effexor which seems to work well, but boosts serotonin a bit too much. I've come to realize the serotonin counters some of the negative effects of NE like slowed digestion. The higher levels of serotonin also help me last a bit longer in the sack . I intend to check with my doctor about trying a very low dose of cymbalta instead.

BobC
Old 02-21-09, 08:36 PM

LisaJW will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCadult-Inatt View Post
I wonder if other inattentive folks struggle with medication sensitivity? Years ago I was first put on Ritalin. 10mg a day. It helped so much, but I was tense and had a rough come down every night. I pulled myself off for years with struggle and then tried Vyvanse. 30mg was more than enough. I feel like it gave me tense joints and a tense neck. The days I just took 1/2 were much better. Took myself off from the constant stiff neck. I like it best, but wonder if I should stay on.

Anyone have a similar story? What is working?

More info: Lifelong sensitivity to medication, scents, touch, etc. It's not debilitating, just present. I can hear the laptop, cable box, fridge, cars going by, HVAC, and my thoughts are similarly all over the place.
I have similar issues with a dose or medication change. Also I have the eagle ears too and can hear something a mile away yet when someone is speaking directly to me and I'm bored out of my mind I go "I'm sorry could you repeat that?"
The Following User Says Thank You to LisaJW For This Useful Post:
DCadult-Inatt (03-07-09)