ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-09, 08:14 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Take a mental health day!

One coping skill many people overlook is the mental health day. A mental health day is an unscheduled day off of school or work where a person can focus on themselves and doing what they enjoy to destress. During a mental health day, you shouldn try to avoid work of any sort: no errands, no work, no homework, no visiting the doctor's office, etc. This is a day for you to do what you enjoy! Watch cheesy movies, read a good book, go to the park, hang out with friends, do a hobby, ride a bike. If you're an introvert, spend time alone. Extraverts should spend time with others. Just avoid any causes of stress such as work, bills, homework, and so on.

Chronic stress can cause many negative symptoms of illness. It can cause upset stomach, body aches, severe headaches, insomnia, irritability, depression, and anxiety. In the long term, chronic stress causes fatigue and can sap the body's ability to defend itself from disease. Chronic stress is linked to high blood pressure and heart disease.

Taking a mental health day is a coping skill and a form of stress management. Many people are overworked and highly stressed. Many others have psychiatric disorders that are taxing on their emotional energy. By taking a day off to recharge, you reduce your body's level of stress and improve your ability to cope. Many times, we run ourselves out of emotional energy and begin a vicious cycle of stress and breakdowns that can be especially dangerous for people with psychiatric disorders.

Most employers and schools won't recognize mental health days straight up, and so usually taking this time will have to take the form of a sick day, a vacation day, or paid time off. That's ok: that's what those days are for. By taking a mental health day in the short term you are avoiding longterm sickness. In some cases, taking a mental health day when things are only just beginning to get overwhelming can reduce the need for future more numerous mental health days or actual days of illness caused by chronic stress.

Before your mental health day, try to make sure that all of your tasks at work are done. You don't want a heaping pile of problems waiting for you when you come back. Looking forward to the mental health day can provide the needed energy to get your stuff done, which will allow you to relax more thoroughly during your day off, without the dread of the unfinished work looming over you.

After your mental health day, it is important to return to the workplace and make sure your tasks are completed. Taking a day off helps reduce stress, but it should be seen as a time to psychologically "regroup," rallying yourself to return to work or school with renewed enthusiasm and energy. Don't allow mental health days to become excuses to avoid work, or take them so frequently that your work piles up, or this will simply contribute to building stress.

Done in association with other coping skills, mental health days can contribute to an overall healthier emotional experience. Consider taking one if you're feeling overwhelmed by school, work, or family obligations. You deserve a break.
ADDMagnet (10-08-09), APSJ (10-08-09), chips (10-08-09), Marspider (10-08-09), tom2228 (03-05-10)
Old 10-08-09, 08:16 AM

Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Take a mental health day!

On an unrelated note, October 10th is World Mental Health Day.
Old 10-08-09, 08:53 AM
ADDvanced Member

dviper785 is on a distinguished road

darn it I just took one yesterday.....can't keep taking them...or can I?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-09, 09:00 AM

Nah, if you keep taking them then you're toeing the line into slacking and too much **** will pile up. Back to work with you!