ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 06-08-12, 11:17 AM

zeppelin931 is on a distinguished road
Am I addicted to adderall or doing something wrong?

So my i have really bad depression and my mom thinks it's because I'm addicted to adderall. And I got a new doctor who is really hesitant to prescribe it to me. I've been taking adderall for 5 years starting at 17. It greatly improved the quality of my life, I lost 100 pounds and my academic performance went way up everything became easy. When I was 18.5 I upped my dose to 40 mg a day due to increase work load. Im 22 now and haven't tried to increase my dosage or anything like that. But what are signs of addiction. Everything I find on the internet basically asks about recreational drugs. So what are some symptoms of adderall addiction. I don't get how I can be addicted to it if I follow the directions on the bottle and don't try to get more. I never have been addicted to anything before. Can someone post some symptoms of prescription drug addiction or tell me what I might be feeling if im addict. Im currently out of adderall. My doctor is about 12 miles away and I live with my dad who works till the doctor closes. So I have no way of picking up a prescription and my mom won't pick it up because im an addict. Every doctor around me is booked for about 2 weeks. I have a psychiatrist appointment the 28 but it will be tough to function till then.
Old 06-08-12, 11:23 AM
ADDvanced Member

KatrinaCaitlin will become famous soon enough
Re: Am I addicted to adderall or doing something wrong?

I think this may help, and may be what you are looking for

When Does It Become Adderall Addiction?

Adderall use can slide easily from abuse to addiction because of the way the drug acts on the brain. Like other amphetamines, it stimulates a part of the brain sometimes called the Pleasure Center and causes a release of potent neurotransmitter chemicals. But the same stimulants also prevent the neurotransmitters from being reclaimed and re-used normally by brain cells, so that the user feels the need to take more and more Adderall to re-create or sustain the rush. Some people are at greater risk than others for becoming addicts; risk factors include a family background of alcohol or dug abuse, stressful circumstances that the drug seems to alleviate initially, and individual emotional or personality traits. Signs that an Adderall user has crossed the line between abuse and addiction:
  • Increasing tolerance to the drug, which makes it necessary to take more Adderall to achieve the same effect;
  • Snorting, smoking or injecting the drug (rather than taking it orally as indicated) for a “quick fix;”
  • Dependence on taking Adderall simply to feel normal and cope with everyday situations, to the point where discontinuing the drug seems impossible;
  • Making access to Adderall a priority ahead of other concerns such as friends or work;
  • Resorting to theft or other illegal means to get Adderall;
  • Continuing to abuse the drug in the face of negative consequences and damaging side effects.
Symptoms of Adderall Withdrawal

• Weight Gain: This is a minor symptom by and large in comparison to the other symptoms of Adderall withdrawal. But, it is natural in our society’s psychology to fill voids in our lives with food. In this case, it sometimes occurs as a symptom of withdrawal. Weight gain in recovering addicts can also be a result of weight loss from taking the drug in the first place. The weight gain may be slight to excessive.
  • Mood Swings and Irritability: It is common for anyone going through withdrawal symptoms to go through consistent mood swings and easy irritation. With Adderall, the mood swings and irritability may have been created by the drug; the process of quitting seems to intensifies these things.
  • Psychological Problems: This effect is not typical, but is also not entirely unheard of either. There have been recovering and even fully recovered addicts that complain of hearing noises and voices inside their heads, or seeing things, as they go through the withdrawal process. Some have even testified to this effect continuing after the withdrawals. This is probably due to brain damage caused by the drug.
  • Depression: Depression, alongside other psychological issues, can be the most dangerous of symptoms that occur during Adderall withdrawal. At best, the depression is only slight and the person feels at a loss for energy or simply feels bored all the time. At its worst, which is more common than the former, depression caused by withdrawal to Adderall, can lead one to suicidal thoughts. The depression can stem from several things, but usually results as a combination of these. An imbalance of hormones due to constant drug abuse, damaged neurons and receptors in the brain, and a decline or drastic change in one’s social life, can all lead to depression. Another damaging factor is if an addict has repeatedly attempted to break the addiction. Failure to break free from Adderall usage can lead to more intense abuse of the drug, and a deep depression from a feeling of helplessness in the addict’s failure. During this stage, it is very important for the recovering addict to have a strong support, whether that be family, friends, or a psychologist.
  • Substitute Drug Abuse: While it is usually not advisable to go ‘cold turkey’ on Adderall, it is also an ill-conceived notion to start using another drug to wean a person off of Adderall. Attempting to fill the void in one’s life left by Adderall is a difficult thing to do, and it is difficult to attempt to do this healthily. Most addicts and their family will seek medical advice that often leads to another alcohol or prescription drug that could potentially be just as addictive as the Adderall, especially if the person receiving such medications has a history of an addictive personality or lack of self control.
Diagnosed with ADD at 13,was on different meds through trial and error. (Concerta, Ritalin, Folcalin, Celexa, couple others I think too.) Now I'm currently (Age 19) getting re diagnosed for AD/HD,and the Dr. is thinking it's ADHD but we will see what the final diagnosis is on June 7th Also possibly some anxiety too, although currently on 25mg of Vistaril as needed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KatrinaCaitlin For This Useful Post:
425runner (06-08-12), Traveler5 (06-08-12)
Old 06-08-12, 11:50 AM

zeppelin931 is on a distinguished road

thanks, that was exactly what i was looking for
Dependence on taking Adderall simply to feel normal and cope with everyday situations, to the point where discontinuing the drug seems impossible

this is my only symptom, but i wouldnt describe how i felt before i took adderall as normal.
The Following User Says Thank You to zeppelin931 For This Useful Post:
spunkysmum (06-08-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-12, 11:57 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Traveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to all

Check out this site. Hopefully it will help you.

http://www.adderallabuse.net/

I don't pay attention during conversations. Not even when I talk to myself.
Old 06-08-12, 11:59 AM
ADDvanced Member

KatrinaCaitlin will become famous soon enough

Lol Glad I could help! If you have any more questions, or need help feel free to ask. I'd be glad to help
Diagnosed with ADD at 13,was on different meds through trial and error. (Concerta, Ritalin, Folcalin, Celexa, couple others I think too.) Now I'm currently (Age 19) getting re diagnosed for AD/HD,and the Dr. is thinking it's ADHD but we will see what the final diagnosis is on June 7th Also possibly some anxiety too, although currently on 25mg of Vistaril as needed.
Old 06-08-12, 02:02 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,811 Times in 1,492 Posts
spunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond repute

As near as I can tell, you're not an addict. You are just accustomed to the quality of life that Adderall affords you and do not wish to return to life the way it was before you had it. It sounds to me like your mother lacks the understanding to differentiate between addiction and legitimate need. If somebody lost their job and was desperately looking for a new one because they needed an income, nobody would seriously suggest that they have a money addiction and refuse to "enable" them by giving them a ride to the unemployment office.
chartreuse (06-08-12), KatrinaCaitlin (06-08-12), markadd (06-08-12), silivrentoliel (06-08-12)
Old 06-08-12, 05:36 PM

Thanked 2,672 Times in 1,111 Posts
Joker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think dependence is the same as addiction. Addiction is where you try to take too much of a drug or use it more often, in order to get high. Taking medicine to feel normal isnt addictive behavior.

People who are diabetic and take insulin because it helps them arent addicts.

If you are on an antidepressant and when you take it you feel normal that isnt being addicted to me.

Addicted is out of control. Dependent means you need it to function normally. IMO

The Drifters Game:http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141997
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joker_Girl For This Useful Post:
BR549 (06-09-12), crystal8080 (06-10-12), Lunacie (06-08-12)
Old 06-08-12, 06:30 PM
Contributor

AddYourAll is a jewel in the roughAddYourAll is a jewel in the roughAddYourAll is a jewel in the rough

u arn't addicted, you will be severly depressed and could cause harm(high suicide rate) all because your mother...u over 18? take a cab, should've educated mom a yr ago....call and ask the dr to mal rx or take cab...explain sit to him asap!
Old 06-08-12, 07:38 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,013 Times in 508 Posts
chartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant future

Being that you're an adult, what your mom thinks is irrelevant, although obviously there's nothing wrong with getting information to allay your own concerns.

As for your doctor, if there is a medication that works for you, that improves your quality of life, and that you've been using successfully for years without excessive side effects and he won't give you a prescription for it, that doctor is not doing his job. He doesn't have any right whatsoever to force you off of a medication regimen that is working for you and that you want to continue. To do so would be "doing harm" and that is as we all know something doctors are not supposed to do.

I'd have a very blunt conversation with him, force him to explain why he wants to do such an illogical thing, and absent him saying something out of left field that you had not known about or considered at all but that actually changes your mind, tell him that you don't believe he's acting in your best interests and that you're going to both switch doctors and report him to the medical board. And then do it.
Old 06-08-12, 07:39 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,013 Times in 508 Posts
chartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkysmum View Post
As near as I can tell, you're not an addict. You are just accustomed to the quality of life that Adderall affords you and do not wish to return to life the way it was before you had it. It sounds to me like your mother lacks the understanding to differentiate between addiction and legitimate need. If somebody lost their job and was desperately looking for a new one because they needed an income, nobody would seriously suggest that they have a money addiction and refuse to "enable" them by giving them a ride to the unemployment office.
Just wanted to say I LOVE that analogy!
spunkysmum (06-10-12)
Old 06-09-12, 04:52 PM
ADDvanced Member

AC360CNN will become famous soon enough

I take 40mg/day except I take none on weekends. It's my chance each week to check in with my un-medicated self. It's my un-scientific way to see if I'm addicted. I'm not depressed on the weekends and I don't have cravings. On weekdays I actually procrastinate taking my first dose, but I'm always glad after it kicks in!

Now that you're off it, can you describe how you feel? Are to depressed because you aren't taking adderall? Was the adderall prescribed to treat depression? If you're using an ADHD medication to treat depression then thats mis-use of your ADHD medication. It sounds like you have some issues and another disorder which needs to be addressed by a doctor. It doesn't sound like you're an addict, but you do have issues.
Old 06-09-12, 05:10 PM
ADDvanced Member

AC360CNN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartreuse View Post

As for your doctor, if there is a medication that works for you, that improves your quality of life, and that you've been using successfully for years without excessive side effects and he won't give you a prescription for it, that doctor is not doing his job. He doesn't have any right whatsoever to force you off of a medication regimen that is working for you and that you want to continue. To do so would be "doing harm" and that is as we all know something doctors are not supposed to do.

I'd have a very blunt conversation with him, force him to explain why he wants to do such an illogical thing, and absent him saying something out of left field that you had not known about or considered at all but that actually changes your mind, tell him that you don't believe he's acting in your best interests and that you're going to both switch doctors and report him to the medical board. And then do it.
You're not looking at the bigger picture. The OP is saying "I need the drug because I'm depressed without it." That's different from saying "I need the drug because I have ADHD symptoms without it."

In essence, the OP is asking the doctor to treat both depression & ADHD using adderall. Think about it from a doctors perspective!
Old 06-09-12, 10:07 PM

gibson101 is on a distinguished road

Dude AC360 you have no idea what you're talking about. Amphetamines were first used to treat narcolepsy, depression, and parkinson's disease. Adderall increases the amount of dopamine in the synapse of neurons, but at the same time the adderall is causing a decrease in serotonin. Both dopamine and serotonin are made from the same precursors, so, if a person is taking a medication that increases the amount of dopamine, such as adderall, the serotonin levels will decrease, and vice versa.

It seems that zeppelin is dependent on the medication, but I do not think this is a serious issue. However, the prolonged adderall use may be depleting his serotonin levels.
Old 06-10-12, 01:14 AM

spunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC360CNN View Post
You're not looking at the bigger picture. The OP is saying "I need the drug because I'm depressed without it." That's different from saying "I need the drug because I have ADHD symptoms without it."

In essence, the OP is asking the doctor to treat both depression & ADHD using adderall. Think about it from a doctors perspective!
There are people who take Adderall that has been legitimately prescribed for the main purpose of treating their depression. I did not know this until I was reading news stories on the shortage of Adderall. These folks apparently did not even have ADHD or other reasons for taking it, it was just the only thing that seemed to alleviate their depression, so that's what they were prescribed.
Old 06-10-12, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartreuse View Post
Just wanted to say I LOVE that analogy!
Thanks, I appreciate that. I am addicted to analogizing though - careful, you don't want to become my enabler!