ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-16, 07:12 AM
Forum Guru

Thanked 1,823 Times in 660 Posts
Jacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond repute
Change

Most people don't like to change. I thrive on it. Encountering new situations, meeting new people, learning new skills, new ways of doing things, new opportunities, new challenges. My brain just requires it. I think it's an AD(H)D thing, our brains being constantly in an understimulated state just love the dopamine release that novel experiences give. That's my hypothesis.

Of course there is the controversial discussion on whether AD(H)D is a gift or a curse. I think it can be both, depending on how well you manage your weaknesses and use your strengths. I do think there are specific strengths that AD(H)D gives, and I see the tendency to seek out novely and a positive attitude towards change as one of the most important ones. I see this in myself, but also other people with AD(H)D. I think this is very useful in a world that keeps changing very fast, where there are many opportunities for people who have a passion for exploring new areas and who can adapt to this change.

On the other hand I see that there are symptoms of AD(H)D that make it a bit harder to benefit from change, particulary problems with procrastination and the difficulty with organizing. Those are some of the weaknesses that have to be managed in order to benefit from some of the strengths of ADD, and if they are not managed well then, indeed, ADD is a curse.

By this thread I don't want to start the complete gift/curse discussion again, I don't think that is very useful, but I want to focus on the question of whether people with AD(H)D have an advantage when it comes to seeking out dealing with change. I think that we generally have an advantage in that area if we manage our symptoms well.

What is your opinion?
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacksper For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (05-09-16)
Old 05-09-16, 08:07 AM
Mrs dvdnvwls

Thanked 18,903 Times in 9,304 Posts
BellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Change

I liked reading your post, I admire people who are like what you described in the first paragraph.

I'm bad with change though - good change or bad change - or just small details of change - they can all send me into a tense overloaded [anxious] state, and often eventually a meltdown.

I personally thrive on routine and sameness. That is when I feel the most peace. When I know what to expect. I know it sounds boring but I find great joy doing my same peaceful (and fun) routines.

When a change is going to occur, I have to plan the whole thing down to the tiniest detail. (If it's possible and not a sporadic/sudden/random change) I have to mentally walk through the scenario lots of times. Know all about what's going to happen and often verbally speak out the plan detail by detail and go over it many times.

I do however, like to sometimes plan spontaneous adventures.
Old 05-09-16, 08:20 AM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,791 Times in 8,902 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

It depends on who and what circumstances are driving the change as to how well I adapt and embrace it.

Typically, as long as I can reel in the emotional attachments I have to whatever is taking place, I can handle changes with some grace.

If it's change forced upon me, however, I struggle big time.

Especially if it's nonsensical power plays, has the energy of ill intent behind it, or is something I already know will bring suffering to self or others.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
aeon (05-09-16), BellaVita (05-09-16), Socaljaxs (05-09-16)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-16, 09:19 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 29,698 Times in 13,706 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting question. I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with change.

I love big exciting changes, like changing jobs, starting new projects, moving city or country, etc.

I absolutely hate little changes to my daily routine. I just can't deal with them. I'll take the same route to work every day and I stick to electronic gadgets for as long as possible. I've just changed my mobile and I hate it so much purely because it's different. I'll always do things the same way (if I remember). I'm not very consistent and I don't follow a strict schedule but if I have made a schedule or a habit that I am expecting to follow I don't want it to change. These little changes just mean stress and more effort. More thinking required to deal with them. I hate surprises.

I do like meeting new people though.

It seems to get worse with age for me. When I was younger I was a lot more flexible and accommodating than I am now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
aeon (05-09-16)
Old 05-09-16, 09:45 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,805 Times in 1,955 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

My ADHD likes change. My personality does not. My personality wins on the important things in life and my ADHD wins in the unimportant things.

Quite unfortunate. It means I don't have enough motivation to meet new people, follow my dreams - the big stuff. But I get bored with eating the same things, doing the same things, and staying in the same area. So I have to take the effort and/or spend the money to try new foods, travel to new places, try new things. I guess this sounds like a good thing too and it is but I wish I could also just be satisfied with the simpler things in life.
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
aeon (05-09-16)
Old 05-09-16, 10:16 AM
Pawfect Moderator

Thanked 2,344 Times in 1,159 Posts
Socaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud of

For me, "change" is dependent on if it was my choice and if I can control it. Also the degree of outcome this "change" will have on my life..

If this "change" is forced upon me, and I have little to no control in the life altering severity of it.. I want nothing to do with it. Examples, Like health issues, loss of family. Loss of income. Forced to move against my choice. Pretty much the big changes that happen that I don't seek I hate.

If the "change" is initially minor or my choice was in favor of this change to do this, for example like going to a meet up group, trying a new sport. Thinking of an activity super out of the box, traveling trying something new. Moving by choice, new job ext I have no issues in it. I'm someone that adapts to surrounding pretty well..
The Following User Says Thank You to Socaljaxs For This Useful Post:
aeon (05-09-16)