ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-08, 07:33 PM
ADDvanced Member

ZappedMind has a spectacular aura aboutZappedMind has a spectacular aura about
Addicted to Time? (don't have enough?)

Can we really be addicted to time?

I have realized for longer than I like to admit that time "controls" me, or rather my relation to time controls me.

For example... work day ends for the most part around 2:45pm, or at least that is when it should end. But instead, anywhere from 11:30am onward, I start to get this "the day is over" blues and I find it hard to be productive or start anything large. Since I spent my morning doing small things, I'm left with big things, so I have a hard time getting going.

It doesn't matter, 45 mins, 90 mins, whatever the time is left that I realize what time it is... and that my day is "over" (woe is me, I'm still behind) it brings me to a stand still.

So I end up killing time or just leaving early.. hoping maybe I can accomplish something else on my todo list outside of work.

OR... if I get up late, like 5:00am, instead of 3-3:30am, its hard to "get going" for an hour because at 6am I have to break and get ready for the day and get the kids up and off to school.

Daily, hours upon hours are wasted because I am addicted to time. I always know what time it is... I am fully aware of time.

My test solution to this problem is to "remove time" and to trust my calendar notifications which sync between my iphone and my computer on when I need to do things like leave for the day or change gears to work on another project. I removed the clock display in my menu bar on the computer and since I haven't wore a watch in 8 years, no need to worry about that. I still have a clock on my iPhone but I have to pull it out and turn it on to see it.

I feel like I'm going through withdrawal, always looking up at my menu bar to see the time but its not their. Oddly, my "solution" appears to be working some. Not knowing what time it is, it forces me to think, "oh well, my alarm hasn't went off yet... so be it I'll keep working."

Now, I still have moments I just have to know.. and I will look and this could ruin me just as it did before... but maybe the longer I do this, the easier it will get, once I fully trust my notifications (which I do, but the transition is a little weird).
Get Rid of the Fog: Stop Taking Vyvanse.
Old 10-14-08, 08:45 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

JollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to all
Re: Addicted to Time? (don't have enough?)

At work, I keep my cell phone on vibrate so that it will "buzz" me at certain times each day to remind me to do certain things. It's not so much that I don't know the "routine" (I've been there for three and a half years, after all!). The problem is that I often get so engrossed in some tasks that I lose all sense of time.

However. . .work is slow lately, and excruciatingly boring. . .and that makes the clocks move REALLY slow. So even though I know I don't need to move on to the next task until the phone in my pocket buzzes, I keep taking the phone out to check the time anyway.

"oh, poo. . .has it really only been five minutes?"

Regardless of what other people say,
my tendency to overreact
and lose all perspective makes me a
theatrically interesting person.

Old 10-15-08, 12:04 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,013 Times in 508 Posts
chartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant future
Re: Addicted to Time? (don't have enough?)

I have read that when clocks were first installed in the public squares France, people shot at them, recognizing them as what they were, a mechanism for control.

Mechanical time is an artificial construct. When we go camping, our one rule is that we take off our watches and stow them away. For the next few days, instead of letting a mechanical device dictate our behavior, we eat when we are hungry, go to bed when we are tired, start the fire when we are cold, and wake up when we are rested.

It's harder than you might think to break the habit and start basing our behavior on our actual needs and desires, rather than what the clock says.