ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-19, 02:02 PM

iamwhatiseem is on a distinguished road
Hello joined for opinions, and help if i can

Hello, I am 54 years old and have known I have ADD for at least 20 years.
I do not take any medications for it, mostly I have learned coping methods and rules to follow over the years to function on a daily basis.
Having said this, I am struggling more than I use to. Not sure why. I am making more mistakes at my job than before, most of which are very frustrating because I swear I remember doing it right.
I am use to doing a very good job because of my ability to hyper focus. Everyone that has worke dfor me over the years knows that I can get through a series of complicated tasks fast and accurate. But lately I am really struggling with my mind beliving it is seeing what it expects to see and going with that...when in reality it was something else. I could swear my life it is what I saw...but it wasn't.
Hope that makes sense.
The Following User Says Thank You to iamwhatiseem For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (11-19-19)
Old 11-16-19, 07:01 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,817 Times in 14,172 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hello joined for opinions, and help if i can

Hello and welcome to addf. I am also struggling more and more with my work. I think as you get older your responsibilities and challenges increase so work actually becomes harder but also maybe with more things on our plate (both personally and professionally) we night just have bit enough energy or peace of mind left for work.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (11-19-19)
Old 11-17-19, 10:48 AM

iamwhatiseem is on a distinguished road

I have been thinking about medications again. I have always avoided it, afarid it will change who I am. i remarried 3 years ago to a great woman...I want to stay the man she fell in love with and am very afraid the medication will alter me....who I am.
But I haven't gotten worse the past year or so. Everyday I am getting "stuck". If I run into a situation that is not what I expected...I just freeze. I can't move forward..it's like the whole world turned upside down because this one silly thing is not what I thought, and I struggle to accept why it is not what I thought. My wife is terrific with me, she "gets it"...she doesn't personalize it... but I know it is hard for her - how can it not be?!
How many times does she have to deal with me standing in the grocery aisle while I am uselessly trying to find something that is right in front of me..but I cannot see it because it isn't the color I thought it was. It's very embarrassing if I am not with her, so I don't go to the store by myself unless it is a specific thing we need and i know right where it is. God forbid they change it's location or the frigging brand decides to package it differently. Of course now multiply this by 1000 everyday things and that is my life.
The Following User Says Thank You to iamwhatiseem For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (11-19-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-19, 10:10 PM

Thanked 6,259 Times in 2,957 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwhatiseem View Post
I have been thinking about medications again. I have always avoided it, afarid it will change who I am. i remarried 3 years ago to a great woman...I want to stay the man she fell in love with and am very afraid the medication will alter me....who I am.
But I haven't gotten worse the past year or so. Everyday I am getting "stuck". If I run into a situation that is not what I expected...I just freeze. I can't move forward..it's like the whole world turned upside down because this one silly thing is not what I thought, and I struggle to accept why it is not what I thought. My wife is terrific with me, she "gets it"...she doesn't personalize it... but I know it is hard for her - how can it not be?!
How many times does she have to deal with me standing in the grocery aisle while I am uselessly trying to find something that is right in front of me..but I cannot see it because it isn't the color I thought it was. It's very embarrassing if I am not with her, so I don't go to the store by myself unless it is a specific thing we need and i know right where it is. God forbid they change it's location or the frigging brand decides to package it differently. Of course now multiply this by 1000 everyday things and that is my life.

One of the great things about stimulants is that dosing can be very flexible.
Ive been off and on them 4 times over a decade. Ive never had any problems with withdrawal.
I don't think they change who we are except for making us less stressed, and they free up time that had been spent on correcting ADHD errors.

When I started they did make me more talkative for a while. I used to have problems finding my way into a conversation.

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (11-19-19)
Old 11-19-19, 11:19 AM

shazam09 is on a distinguished road

I agree i just started medication a month ago and am happy to see that i have tools (medication) to work with. I tried one medication and while i liked it for many positives it had some negatives. I went to another medication a month later and again +'s and -'s. But all in all each was a relief to my symptoms and gave me a break from my normal natural self (ADHD-PI)and that was good . I believe in risk for chance of feeling better.
I m trying do whats best for my mental health and your significant should be supportive. If it helps you youll be a better version of your normal self if it hurts youll know fairly quickly as well. If you dont try youll be be forever wondering f you it could be better.
Thats just my opinion.
Hope that helps a little.
Old 11-19-19, 11:34 AM

Thanked 27,040 Times in 12,619 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwhatiseem View Post
I do this too. Not a problem if I have plenty of time to shop and the lights
and smells and noises aren't too bothersome (I have sensory processing
disorder). But when I'm just dashing in because I'm out of something and
don't need anything else . . . it's just so frustrating to be unable to find that
item. And, our store does keep changing the layout and locations, and some-
times I'm not remembering right. I'm getting better about asking for help,
whether that's my daughter or granddaughter that are shopping with me, or
a sales associate on the floor doing restocking or whatever.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

TheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to behold

Welcome!
My issue is more that I don’t end up working as much as I should, like instead of 8 hrs, I end up doing 2 to 4 hrs of actually work if that and I must say say it is catching up and I am considering getting back on meds but for now I am in therapy. Hope everything is well!
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. ~ John 3:16
Old Yesterday, 09:16 PM

Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
I do this too. Not a problem if I have plenty of time to shop and the lights
and smells and noises aren't too bothersome (I have sensory processing
disorder). But when I'm just dashing in because I'm out of something and
don't need anything else . . . it's just so frustrating to be unable to find that
item. And, our store does keep changing the layout and locations, and some-
times I'm not remembering right. I'm getting better about asking for help,
whether that's my daughter or granddaughter that are shopping with me, or
a sales associate on the floor doing restocking or whatever.

Me too- on a bad day.
going to a new supermarket or say super big hardware store can be a curse.
However the functional neurological work Ive been having has now got these symptoms to the point where they are very intermittent, and I can usually self correct.

Ive had a lot of luck understanding all this lately and will post on the model soon.

This does relate to the neck problem that I have been talking about for the lst nearly 10 years, Lunacie. It comes down to the mismatch in muscle stretch, balance and motion (vestibular) system and visual system, and the mismatch between left and right brainstems.

I hope I will be able to actually publish on this very soon. I think that bipolar is a special example of this, but I have only a few examples.
There is more to it than just those bare bones, but this needs to start simple and build slowly.

I will be writing up something on this and posting it here very soon.

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

Lunacie (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:07 PM

Thanked 27,040 Times in 12,619 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised that Kunga Dorji hasn't seen this and shared his experiences.

Hello ... KD where are you?

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old Today, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
I'm surprised that Kunga Dorji hasn't seen this and shared his experiences.

Hello ... KD where are you?
Im here.
However, what I have to say is very complex.

I'm writing up the last details today and tomorrow, but I do believe i have a very solid model of the neurology of ADHD-- which accounts for the non-psychological symptoms (ie physical "co-morbidities", accounts for the association with neck problems that I have discussed, should account for sleeping problems and definitely accounts for some of the principal actions of stimulants and their adverse reactions too (a good one that, as it creates a model that should give some guidance as to how to handle them)

Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

Lunacie (Today)