ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Other Co-Existing Conditions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-18, 09:48 AM
Jr Member

Padawan is on a distinguished road
ADHD and Migraines

I'm very interested in learning about the possible comorbidity between ADHD and migraines (especially lifelong migraines that begin in childhood) and have found a few studies and articles on the topic, two of which are mentioned below. While migraines seem to be a side effect of medication for a number of people, there is a suggestion that, for others, ADHD meds may help with migraines or that headaches may be a temporary side effect. One thing I've found so far with atomoxetine is that migraines have been reduced quite a bit but only if I drink a ton of water to prevent dehydration as a trigger.

Really curious to know what others' experiences and findings have been on this topic.

CHILDHOOD MIGRAINES
"Higher ADHD risk seen in children with migraine":
https://www.mdedge.com/clinicalneuro...ldren-migraine
Quote:
Children aged 5-12 years with signs of migraine headache were as much as seven times as likely as other children to also appear to have attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), but those with tension-type headaches didn’t face a higher risk of ADHD, a Brazilian study showed.
Quote:
“My clinical experience strongly indicates that psychostimulants have a highly positive effect on migraine prophylaxis, although headache occurs in the very beginning of the treatment,” Dr. Arruda said.
ADULT MIGRAINES
"Adult attention deficit hyperactivity disorder is associated with migraine headaches": https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3225610/
Quote:
In conclusion, we have shown that adults with persistent ADHD have an increased prevalence of migraine compared to controls from the general population. This points to a co-morbidity between these two disorders of the brain, possibly related to their shared underlying pathophysiologies and co-morbidities with other neuropsychiatric disorders, like mood and anxiety disorders. We suggest that future studies should explore underlying pathophysiological mechanisms that may explain the co-occurrence of ADHD and migraine.
Old 01-05-18, 10:48 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,555 Times in 6,500 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADHD and Migraines

I used to get migraines but now know they were not related to or sequelae of my ADHD.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Padawan (01-05-18)