ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 01-13-18, 04:30 PM

Perchie is on a distinguished road
Does anyone experience

Hi,

I'm ADHD - SCT ... and ever since I can remember, I've experienced SCT remission whenever I get a cold or fever.

It's more generally noted for affecting those on the autistic spectrum - which is why for years, I wondered whether I was on it too.

But recently, I found that other ADDers experience it too : -
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDitude GUEST BLOGS

The ADHD Fever Effect
As my daughter’s temperature went up, her ADHD symptoms subsided — the fever effect made the attention deficit disorder go away. For a few days.

BY KAY MARNER

Have you ever noticed that having a fever reduces your child’s ADHD symptoms?

Natalie crawled into bed with me at 5:30 Thursday morning. “I think I have a fever,” she said. Sure enough, she was broiling. On Friday, the fever persisted, and in addition, Nat complained of a sore throat. A trip to the pediatrician’s office resulted in a positive strep test. My poor baby.

While I’d never wish a fever on my child or anyone else’s, I’m always amazed by the improvement in Natalie’s ADHD symptoms when she has a fever.

She and I looked through dog books from her school library for over an hour. We watched TV. Nat usually can’t hold still long enough to read or watch TV for very long. No impulsive behaviors. No messes. No fits. Lots of snuggles.

When I gave Natalie Advil, and it took the fever away, my usual girl with ADHD reappeared, and there was no keeping her quiet. We ended up playing outside for a couple of hours, despite her sickness. As the Advil wore off and her fever came back, she calmed down again.

I may be wrong, but I could swear that the changes I see in Natalie when she has a fever are more than just the illness slowing her down. I wish there was something researchers could learn from this fever phenomenon.

Thanks to a few doses of Amoxicillin, Natalie is much better. She’s ready to return to school, and I’m ready to return to work. I’m glad, of course, but at the same time, wouldn’t it be nice if the fever-effect (minus the fever) was available by prescription for the treatment of ADHD?

There is some symptomatic overlap between ADD and ASD ... most notably for me, sensory irritability - which is why the fever effect remission comes as no surprise to me.

There is some symptomatic overlap between ADD and ASD ... most notably for me, sensory irritability - which is why the fever effect ADD remission comes as no surprise to me.

Last edited by Greyhound1; 01-13-18 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: Removed prohibited link but quoted the article
Old 01-13-18, 09:01 PM

SashaBV will become famous soon enough
Re: Does anyone experience

Well, I don't have hyperactive tendencies, so haven't noticed any difference, really.
Old 01-13-18, 10:34 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Random guess - maybe it has something to do with bloodflow/blood pressure patterns in different regions of the brain?

I think the more likely explanation is something more simple. For instance, maybe the presence of the parent is more stimulating/rewarding during times of sickness, so the parents is better able to hold the child's attention?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-18, 06:30 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,450 Times in 3,077 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

If you go into remission after a cold or a fever, then it could be a sign of something more underlining causing the symptoms. Usually after a cold/fever, the liver works over time to detoxify your body.

It could be that you have allergies to certain things contained within the food you consume and cutting them out could be the key to clearing up the symptoms permanently.

There's a huge link between Autism and poor digestive health. I think that gives us a huge clue.
Old 01-15-18, 06:27 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,458 Times in 14,483 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I think its because a fever means your sick. When you dont have a fever you are not sick.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 01-17-18, 10:30 AM
ADDvanced Member

Ronelh has disabled reputation

Well, I can see that being sick might slow down hyperactivity, but as I'm not really hyperactive I can't say. My inattentive symptoms actually get much worse when I am sick. I just don't have energy to concentrate on anything.
Old 01-23-18, 02:55 AM
ADDvanced Member

DeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to behold

Aha, that's why i ussually find having a mild flue - and the associated fever and muscle sores - feels comfortable in a weird way.