ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 06-10-14, 11:03 AM

fly78fish is on a distinguished road
Generic ritalin simply cant be the same as brand name ritalin

I have taken Ritalin for over 20 years. For some time I always received the brand name, in fact I started using brand name. It was agreeable, smooth, provided higher interest rate, and well being. No side effects unless you doubled it. Then generic hit the market--- my prescriptions were always written DAW, and were filled. Soon my insurance company told me if I wanted brand name it would cost more, and I should take the generic, I received a letter from the Doctor of Pharmacy of my insurance company. Stating the generic was the A #1 choice for Ritalin. A number of times I did get the generic, but wow, it was like taking 15 cups of coffee, sweating, nothing to lift mood. My as well bought one of those stimulant drinks.
The insurance company swears up and down its the same. Yet I have read articles, that generic drugs are different. In many cases you may not notice any difference, but generic Ritalin is one that patients have complained about. As I understand, in every pill only a very small percent contain the actual drug, the rest are fillers, no pill is purely 100% the actual drug. The components can affect how the drug is delivered, the dyes affect delivery, and many of those are made outside the U.S.
Last year my insurance company said they would not cover brand name Ritalin, and I would have to pay he full price, unless I tried a few runs of the generic, and had difficulty. My doctor wrote them, that Ritalin agreed with me, others did not, and generic even brought about rapid heart rate. I got another letter from the prescription drug insurer from the Doctor of Pharmacy, saying I had try the generic because it was "the A #1 choice.
In short they were telling me I had to take a drug that caused very unpleasant effects for a period of months before they would consider allowing the brand name. They are my insurance company, and telling me to take a drug I cant take. My doctor suggested he write two RX's 1 for generic and one for brand name. Since the insurance company wouldn't cover the brand name it wouldn't appear in my profile. After a few months, I could then have him write them I tried it and it didn't work(meanwhile I would really be taking the brand name).
I didn't opt to do that. I pay $170 dollars for have brand name Ritalin, as opposed to $10.00 or less for generic. Now reasonably, who is going to pay $170 over $10.00 if they didn't really didn't the brand).

Their is a difference, I cannot understand the FDA and all those in the medical field who test drugs and their affects don't acknowledge that their can be a difference between the effects of brand vs. generic.

Can someone give me some incite-- I know some of you really check things out.
The Following User Says Thank You to fly78fish For This Useful Post:
Twiggy (06-10-14)
Old 06-10-14, 12:56 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,031 Times in 556 Posts
Twiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to behold
Re: Generic ritalin simply cant be the same as brand name ritalin

The closest generic to brand Ritalin is Sandoz generic. Both are made by pretty much the same company. They even have the same color/sizes.

I hope this helps.

Rx= Nothing. Can't due to medical reasons.

Past Rx= Vyvanse 30mg (6/13/14), Adderall 15mg 1/7/14, Medical Marijuana, Smokeless Tobacco, Adderall IR 25mg 4/23/13, Dexedrine IR 20mg, Ritalin IR 60mg.
Old 06-25-14, 01:01 PM
Contributor

DichotOhMy has disabled reputation
Re: Generic ritalin simply cant be the same as brand name ritalin

In my experience, UCB-brand generic methylphenidate is a good analogue of Ciba name-brand Ritalin.

That is to say that, indeed, your mileage varies when it comes to psychostimulant generics as is reported extensively by users.
Sponsored Links