ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 11-26-17, 11:13 PM

PineManiac25 is on a distinguished road
Don't enjoy doing things I once did.

Is this a comorbid existing problem with ADHD and Depression or one or the other?

I used to love playing video games but now I can't pick up a controller, don't call friends, even picking up the phone and responding to texts takes a lot of energy to do.

What's going on? I'm taking 20mg Adderall but it doesn't seem to be helping. I also take depression medications.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PineManiac25 For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-13-18), namazu (11-27-17)
Old 11-27-17, 12:03 AM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 18,909 Times in 9,388 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Don't enjoy doing things I once did.

This is super-common in depression -- both the lack of energy, and also the having trouble getting pleasure out of anything, even things you used to enjoy (technical name for that problem: "anhedonia").

Not so much with ADHD alone.

Do you have an appointment with your doctor coming up anytime soon? If not, see if you can schedule one. Assuming there's nothing else going on in your life that would explain your feelings, it may be that your depression meds need tweaking.

This time of year, when (at least in the Northern Hemisphere) daylight is limited, that can also have a profound effect on some people. If that's the case for you, there are also special lights that can help.

Meanwhile, even though it's extra-hard right now to get motivated to do anything, make an effort to get some exercise in and get out and see people. Both of those can boost mood and keep you from feeling as down as you might otherwise. I know that when I'm depressed I really struggle to do either of these because they feel like such an incredible amount of work -- but if I can get over that initial hump somehow, it's almost always worthwhile.

Take care and I hope things start looking up (or at least, like they're less of a chore than they seem now).
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-26-17), Arthos (11-27-17), Cat Noir (11-29-17), Lunacie (01-13-18)
Old 11-27-17, 12:41 AM
ADDvanced Member

allesandro1 will become famous soon enough

Anhedonia, or diminished capacity to experience pleasure is a symptom of depression. Now is the depression related to the ADD, and does that require behavioral shaping and adaptation or is it an ADD medication issue? that's something to rule out. Then the issue is whether some other issue needs to be addressed and whether your antidepressants are the right meds for you or whether they might need active titration.Figuring this stuff out requires a number of therapy sessions in tandem with a psychopharmacologist who are in communication with each other so that they can figure out the best treatment plan for you
The Following User Says Thank You to allesandro1 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (01-13-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-17, 04:56 AM

DeClutter is a name known to allDeClutter is a name known to allDeClutter is a name known to allDeClutter is a name known to allDeClutter is a name known to allDeClutter is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineManiac25 View Post
Is this a comorbid existing problem with ADHD and Depression or one or the other?

I used to love playing video games but now I can't pick up a controller, don't call friends, even picking up the phone and responding to texts takes a lot of energy to do.
Has anything changed in your life that draws away your energy more then it used to, as a way to rule out a situational depression?
Old 12-25-17, 03:58 PM

Worriedoldie is a jewel in the roughWorriedoldie is a jewel in the roughWorriedoldie is a jewel in the rough

Can I piggy back your thread???

Ive been sliding into methylphidate and reached 3x 20mg.

Then 10 days ago because I mentioned I felt like the ups and downs were very noticable she put me on 54mg delayed pills instead. But after a short spell of the flu Ive landed in the same weird mood as OP.

I too used to play video games a lot in the late hours... playstation or WoW.

I cant even be bothered to turn on the machine. I also feel emotionally flat compared to before. I was ok up till decemberish, but after that... flat. I can laugh and smile at my kids. But that distinct feelin of joy / happiness is gone... the excitement for anything. It all boils down to rationale... "does this make sense" where as before I would think "this sounds fun or exciting!"

Is this what "normal" people feel like all the time?? I mean... is this just because I have been overgeared till now and now Im beginning to be normal?
Because Im not impressed :/

I feel focused... I get work done and tidy up more. But its a very "dry" sense of order and commitment.
Old 12-26-17, 02:13 PM
ADDvanced Member

allesandro1 will become famous soon enough

Anhedonia, or diminished capacity to extract pleasure, is a symptom of depression.
Old 12-26-17, 04:47 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,367 Times in 1,114 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

No, that's NOT how "normal" people feel all the time. Tell your doctor of your feelings and what you're going through.

Sounds like a medication adjustment is in order.

In my experience, even the tendency to justify feeling flat or bad ... even that is usually a symptom of when I'm depressed.

Tone
Old 01-13-18, 01:23 PM

Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,172 Posts
Pilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud of

An anti depressant may help this.
Old 01-13-18, 03:00 PM

Thanked 5,936 Times in 2,880 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

It could be tolerance to the Adderall or the Anti Depressant. How long have you been taking them for?