ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Strattera
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Strattera (Atomoxetine HCI)

Old 08-13-10, 04:41 AM
ADDvanced Member

andyr is on a distinguished road
Strattera vs Generic Atomoxetine?

I'm reading that Eli Lilly lost their patent on Strattera (mainly because nobody knows how it works), and that will open the way to new generic atomoxetine drugs. I know that generic versions are already available in some places.

So my question is this... does anybody have experience of taking generic atomoxetine, and have you also taken Strattera, and can you make a comparison? It's often the case that generic versions aren't as "smooth" or high quality as the brand versions, so I would be wary of switching. On the other hand, I don't want to go on handing over 110 euros to Eli Lilly every month.
Old 08-15-10, 01:57 PM

Moonrise will become famous soon enough
Re: Strattera vs Generic Atomoxetine?

Wow!
that's interesting news!
However, I don't understand the whole 'no one knows how it works' claim.
1- how do they NOT know how it works.. scary that they can market things even though they don't know how it works. Kind of like putting a car together, marketing it, but telling people 'We don't know how it works, but we are sure its a safe drive! lol'
2-how does that affect their ability to keep a patent?
Im not a big fan of generics, and once they come out, quite often our pharmacies dont even carry the name brand anymore, so there is really no choice BUT the generic brand.
Old 08-16-10, 09:28 AM
ADDvanced Member

andyr is on a distinguished road

As far as I understand, they know *what* it does (blocks re-uptake of norepinephrine in the brain) but can't explain why that action has a beneficial effect on ADHD symptoms. They were originally hoping to develop a new kind of anti-depressant medication, but found this was better suited to ADHD-PI. The patents office evidently thinks that you can't patent a serendipitious discovery, especially if you can't explain how it works.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-10, 07:12 PM

Jeremy89 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrise View Post
Wow!
that's interesting news!
However, I don't understand the whole 'no one knows how it works' claim.
1- how do they NOT know how it works.. scary that they can market things even though they don't know how it works. Kind of like putting a car together, marketing it, but telling people 'We don't know how it works, but we are sure its a safe drive! lol'
Actually, as a medical professional and nursing student, I find that the drug guides often list mechanism of action as unknown. For example, Strattera says "exact mechanism of action unknown; selectively inhibits Norepinephrine reuptake". They know it inhibits NR, they just don't know how. Crazy stuff...
Old 07-03-17, 03:19 PM

dlilangel8 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Strattera vs Generic Atomoxetine?

I know this is going to sound insane and as a previous pharmacy technician I know that generic medicines r supposed to be exactly the same as the name brand medicine....every logical part of my brain says I have to be wrong on this but I have taken strattera for nearly 2 years now after being switch off of adderall bc i felt too sped up....i have been on this new generic strattera for approximately 2 weeks and i have been very observant to my moods as i also have bipolar 1....about an hour after taking this new generic i am feeling as though i have taken 5-10mg of adderall...even as i type this i can feel shakey hands rapid heart rate and it feels like i cant sit still ...as compared to taking the name brand i basically didnt even know i was taking anything besides the fact that the looping converaations in my head would stop...they still have stopped but im feeling sped up again...gonna give it a little more time to see if i level out but as for now it does NOT feel like the same med.....i think they should have discovered how it really works for add or adhd before making a generic!!
Old 09-01-17, 05:07 PM

MBY1955 is on a distinguished road

My college age daughter just started taking the generic Strattera two weeks ago. Not happy with it, not being able to focus, feeling like she can't formulate conversations, not able to pay attention in lectures... currently working with the Doctor to get a new script written for Strattera, also the pharmacy and ins. company. When the new meds came in the mail, I noticed the price was lower and I looked at the pills and knew what they had done. We didn't ask for generic, but it appears unless the doctor specifies as written, you get the generic. I take all generic meds so thought it would be ok for her to try. Wish I would have contacted the doctor right away to get the script fixed prior to her going off to her sophomore year in college. She's a straight A student and is really feeling lost right now.
Old 09-26-17, 03:01 PM
Contributor

Arei is a name known to allArei is a name known to allArei is a name known to allArei is a name known to allArei is a name known to allArei is a name known to all

I only took brand Strattera 2 months (1 month at current dose) before the generic came out and it's been fine for me. My plan will not cover brand anymore whatsoever.

We do have a patient that's real concerned about trying the generic because they cannot leave the house without it and are really sensitive to brand changes. This month their insurance allowed for brand again, but I'm hoping I hear from them when they try the generic out. A couple of people have come forward saying it doesn't seem to have the same effect for them.

Old 10-31-17, 10:52 PM

Curdog is on a distinguished road

After 2 years on brand name strattera we started son on generic. It doesn't seem to work at all!!!
Old 07-01-18, 06:12 PM

Brandenb is on a distinguished road

When I was younger I was put into a heavy dosage of straterra. It helped me in ways you wouldnít believe, my iq at the time was scaled to around 120-140 and without the medication I was extremely adhd prone. Very active, very aggressive. On the medication however I was more so a young Einstein reading everything, understanding college level concepts in 4th grade.

Years later I was taken off the meds, drastic reduction in concentration, etc. now Iím trying to get on stattera again and instead they gave me generic atoxomexitine(whatever itís called) basically it has all the side effects listed on the bottle, on me. Also it doesnít help me very much at all. So I will do a follow up appointment to try just name brand starters like Iím used to. But I will say this much. Generic does help improve cognitive function. SOMETIMES. Not all the time like I remember from strattera.