ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 09-16-18, 09:13 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,246 Times in 14,922 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone have experience getting student loans after disability discharge for old ones?

I have been on disability for a long time. About 8 years ago before I was sober I attempted to go to beauty school because in my mind I had to pick something that I could finish quickly and get a job for. it was not my passion and I wasnt very good at it at all. I was still on disability while going and trying to become well enough to finish and work. Well I was kicked out for being in the hospital and exceeding my allowed absences and suffering the early stages of alcoholism. They were supposed to get half of the loan money each semester. A total of 1200 hours, 600 each semester. Turns out the school I went to was kind of crooked and they received all the money upfront. Even though I had a medical excuse and only had 600 hours they kicked me out and kept all the money. In hindsight getting kicked out was a blessing because I wouldnt have liked it but they came after me.
I appealed and protested and complained and got caught up in endless red tape. My saving grace is the disability I receive is not considered temporary. It is considered permanent. So I was eventually able to have them cancelled and it is literally the only reason student debt can be cancelled.

I want to go back to college for my teaching certificate. I aready have a bachelors and I think the program is roughly two years give or take. My son is in college now so there is no way for me to pay for him and me. I will HAVE to take some kind of loans or else its down the drain. I would love it if there was some kind of grants or awards to women or moms returning to the work force but I do not think there are.

Does anyone have experience going back to school if they already had undergrad/vocational school loans? I do not owe anything which is a good thing but I dont want to get myself all excited about finally doing something for myself. I will be going to the county college which is affliated with Rowan University but I do not know if what I get will be transferable in the sense that I could get a master's degree.

All thoughts, stories, experiences welcome. Forum-allowed links would be great too. If you think it violates guidelines due to commercial reasons or otherwise you can pm me.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
namazu (09-16-18), psychopathetic (09-17-18)
Old 09-16-18, 09:21 AM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,573 Times in 10,336 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anyone have experience getting student loans after disability discharge for old o

Have you been in touch with the NJ Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Services?

In some cases, they can help fund higher education in order to help people with disabilities get / maintain / change careers. Might be worth a shot.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (09-17-18), sarahsweets (09-17-18)
Old 09-17-18, 07:50 AM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 15,033 Times in 7,491 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anyone have experience getting student loans after disability discharge for old o

Yes...what Nam-Nams suggests.

Voc Rehab was a huge help for me as far as college went. I also qualified for pell grants that was a big help.

I love the idea of you going back to school and pursuing a career you're passionate about! I think college will be a whole heck of a lot more enjoyable for you when you're actually there to do something you actually want to do.

You can always call the school and ask to speak with (gah! I can't remember the technical name for them)...the people who help students with loans.
I worked very closely with them and they were great! If there's any grants or loans or anything out there available to you and your situations...they should be able to help you track them down.

(((((((Sweets)))))))

You rock!

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
namazu (09-17-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-18, 04:37 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,246 Times in 14,922 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this. I looked up my local office and left a message for someone to call me back.
If I do not hear back I will try the online form and also a call. Not sure if any of it applies to me but it cant hurt to ask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
Have you been in touch with the NJ Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Services?

In some cases, they can help fund higher education in order to help people with disabilities get / maintain / change careers. Might be worth a shot.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
namazu (09-18-18)