ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 12-02-17, 08:27 PM

Thanked 34,062 Times in 15,423 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any ADHD academics on this board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelutza View Post
I am in my second year of PhD in a STEM field. I was diagnosed during my "first" attempt at a PhD at a top US school where I was extremely stressed and didn't get along with my advisor. Now I moved to a great UK program where I have two much friendlier co-advisors who are supportive of my ADHD. That makes me less stressed now on a day-to-day basis but doesn't help me get things done, so I wonder how on earth I will be able to graduate in the required 4 years.
try not to be focused on more than the flaming hoop in front of you. get your coursework done. focus on that. then do your ATC exams. focus on that. get your topic figured out. focus on that. get your languages in order. focus on that.

you know what i'm saying? if you look at it, like, how am i going to do all of this stuff in four years...it's overwhelming. focus on what's in front of you and jump that hoop. just try to be mindful of the time. and find out what your language requirements are and start working on them NOW if you have tough ones. where i matriculated language exams were no joke. some places let you have dictionaries and all sorts of ****. mine did not. and they required two modern and one ancient. it was a nightmare. suffice it to say, i did not pass german on the first round and i was required to read in german.

play to your strengths. if you know something is going to take you longer, allot more time instead of assuming you'll need to bend into fitting the shape proposed. what i mean is, if you know that it takes you longer to write, but you can do coursework quickly, get the latter done ASAP so you can start writing earlier and still be done. if you haven't figured out where in your field you want to write, i think it's a myth that you go through coursework and then decide. you more likely already know where your interests lie in your field. i did. i did before i even applied to doctoral programs.

good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
PoppnNSailinMan (12-02-17)
Old 12-02-17, 10:31 PM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
try not to be focused on more than the flaming hoop in front of you. get your coursework done. focus on that. then do your ATC exams. focus on that. get your topic figured out. focus on that. get your languages in order. focus on that.
Good advice, although getting my topic figured out didn't go very smoothly for me.

I thought I knew what I wanted to do for my dissertation and probably did more than a year's worth of research for that topic before I was advanced to candidacy. I then got approval from my dissertation supervisor for that topic and submitted all the paperwork for it. I applied for and received a fellowship to do dissertation research on that topic in a foreign country.

But after I got over to the foreign county to do my research, I decided to change my dissertation topic. I know that my dissertation supervisor was surprised and it set me back quite a bit in getting my dissertation completed on time. Interestingly enough, no government officials in the country where I was doing my research or the people who gave me my fellowship ever said anything to me about it.

I can't help thinking of this comment that one of my teachers wrote in my report card in the 6th grade: "Sometimes he has a hard time making up his mind whether to do a project or which project to do." I guess that things didn't change much between then and when I was working on my dissertation!

Quote:
you know what i'm saying? if you look at it, like, how am i going to do all of this stuff in four years...it's overwhelming. focus on what's in front of you and jump that hoop. just try to be mindful of the time. and find out what your language requirements are and start working on them NOW if you have tough ones. where i matriculated language exams were no joke. some places let you have dictionaries and all sorts of ****. mine did not. and they required two modern and one ancient. it was a nightmare. suffice it to say, i did not pass german on the first round and i was required to read in german.
I had to do French and German exams, and my department did let us use a dictionary. My French is pretty good, so I might not have needed one there, but German is a tough language to learn and 19th century German texts are even more difficult. LOL...Take this example from Mark Twain's The Awful German Language:

Quote:
"But when he, upon the street, the (in-satin-and-silk-covered-now-very-unconstrained-after-the-newest-fashioned-dressed) government counselor's wife met," etc., etc.

1. Wenn er aber auf der Strasse der in Sammt und Seide gehüllten jetzt sehr ungenirt nach der neusten Mode gekleideten Regierungsräthin begegnet.

That is from The Old Mamselle's Secret, by Mrs. Marlitt. And that sentence is constructed upon the most approved German model. You observe how far that verb is from the reader's base of operations; well, in a German newspaper they put their verb away over on the next page; and I have heard that sometimes after stringing along the exciting preliminaries and parentheses for a column or two, they get in a hurry and have to go to press without getting to the verb at all. Of course, then, the reader is left in a very exhausted and ignorant state.
Quote:
play to your strengths. if you know something is going to take you longer, allot more time instead of assuming you'll need to bend into fitting the shape proposed. what i mean is, if you know that it takes you longer to write, but you can do coursework quickly, get the latter done ASAP so you can start writing earlier and still be done. if you haven't figured out where in your field you want to write, i think it's a myth that you go through coursework and then decide. you more likely already know where your interests lie in your field. i did. i did before i even applied to doctoral programs.
Yes, start early and don't dither around and get sidetracked into doing things that don't have anything to do with your dissertation. When I was supposed to be writing my dissertation, I was signing up for mostly unrelated classes in other topics that interested me like art history and archaeology even though they didn't have any connection to my dissertation topic.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following User Says Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (12-02-17)
Old 12-02-17, 10:37 PM

Thanked 34,062 Times in 15,423 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppnNSailinMan View Post
Yes, start early and don't dither around and get sidetracked into doing things that don't have anything to do with your dissertation. When I was supposed to be writing my dissertation, I was signing up for mostly unrelated classes in other topics that interested me like art history and archaeology even though they didn't have any connection to my dissertation topic.
not doing that was very difficult for me and proved impossible, though it's wise to avoid. i ended up spending a lot of time taking courses on aesthetics and so forth when my subject area didn't really call for it, but i found them personally interesting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
PoppnNSailinMan (12-02-17), TygerSan (12-03-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-17, 01:41 PM
ADDvanced Member

Ronelh has disabled reputation

I have a three-year master's degree, and I am in a technical academic career that involves checking translations of difficult texts in various languages... the official title is "translation consultant".
Fuzzy12 (12-03-17)
Old 12-03-17, 04:14 PM

Arthos is a jewel in the roughArthos is a jewel in the roughArthos is a jewel in the rough

I am in my third year of my PhD (UK system, so third year after the masters stuff). Really hope to finish it at all but things are not looking good atm. At this rate there is no way I will be employable in academia afterwards, and either way I am probably not cut out for it anyway. At least not for a (pure mathsy) field where you depend on a magical eureka moment happening or not happening (the latter being more likely)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arthos For This Useful Post:
anotheradder (12-10-17), Fuzzy12 (12-03-17)
Old 12-03-17, 04:45 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,276 Times in 13,950 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthos View Post
I am in my third year of my PhD (UK system, so third year after the masters stuff). Really hope to finish it at all but things are not looking good atm. At this rate there is no way I will be employable in academia afterwards, and either way I am probably not cut out for it anyway. At least not for a (pure mathsy) field where you depend on a magical eureka moment happening or not happening (the latter being more likely)
If you think you might not finish in 4 years then speak to your supervisor asap. Maybe it's just my uni but I think most British unis are really strict now about having to finish in 4 years unless you are doing special program. I totally didn't clock somehow that time had run out for me. The only reason why I got an extension was because the university's didn't send me a reminder early enough that the deadline was approaching. And I had to fight for that. So in good old ADHD fashion I wrote most of my thesis in 3 weeks after taking almost a year for the first 2 chapters.

A PhD in maths can open so many opportunities for you...not just in maths. Computer science, business studies, operations research, finance... Both in academia and in the corporate world (sorry I guess I'm telling you stuff you probably know anyway).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
anotheradder (12-10-17), Arthos (12-05-17)
Old 12-05-17, 03:55 PM

Arthos is a jewel in the roughArthos is a jewel in the roughArthos is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
If you think you might not finish in 4 years then speak to your supervisor asap. Maybe it's just my uni but I think most British unis are really strict now about having to finish in 4 years unless you are doing special program. I totally didn't clock somehow that time had run out for me. The only reason why I got an extension was because the university's didn't send me a reminder early enough that the deadline was approaching. And I had to fight for that. So in good old ADHD fashion I wrote most of my thesis in 3 weeks after taking almost a year for the first 2 chapters.

A PhD in maths can open so many opportunities for you...not just in maths. Computer science, business studies, operations research, finance... Both in academia and in the corporate world (sorry I guess I'm telling you stuff you probably know anyway).
Thanks, Fuzz. Basically the problem I have been working on for 2 years turned out to be too difficult. I am now working on something that is more feasible but there are many people working on related stuff so it's a bit risky.

Anyway, my supervisor is aware of all of this. Both him and me have flagged up concerns in reports. It's officially 3 years here, so I will soon have to start hustling for extended funding. Have yet to meet the first person who actually finished in 3 years, though. At this stage I think 4 years should still be feasible, but it's hard to tell. Especially if someone ends up publishing something VERY similar. On the upside, my end-of-first-year report was very positive, so at least I have proof that I have not always been useless.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arthos For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (12-10-17)
Old 01-01-18, 05:25 AM

Thanked 1,561 Times in 861 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

Goodness, you guys are smart!!!!
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following User Says Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (01-01-18)
Old 01-01-18, 08:40 PM

Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Any ADHD academics on this board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by finallyfound10 View Post
Goodness, you guys are smart!!!!
Not really. I mean I can't talk for anyone else but doing a PhD is a lot like a lot of other jobs. You need passion for the subject but apart from that it requires very similar skills to many other non academic jobs. It doesn't really require bring extraordinarily smart I think.
Old 04-01-18, 11:29 PM

shanita is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snjyds View Post
I am an academic. Faculty.
ditto! at what stage of your career are you?
Old 06-05-18, 07:02 PM
ADDvanced Member

musicman64 will become famous soon enough

Great topic for me. I am currently working on the proposal for my dissertation and I have found it extraordinarily tough to keep to writing on an often enough basis. My topic is a micro issue in ADHD so I am constantly reading about the topic. I find that to be good and bad. Sometimes it becomes overwhelming when being inundated in the topic. It's easy to go off on a tangent that has nothing to do with the dissertation topic.
The Following User Says Thank You to musicman64 For This Useful Post:
namazu (06-05-18)
Old 06-06-18, 02:21 AM
ADDvanced Member

userguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman64 View Post
Great topic for me. I am currently working on the proposal for my dissertation and I have found it extraordinarily tough to keep to writing on an often enough basis. My topic is a micro issue in ADHD so I am constantly reading about the topic. I find that to be good and bad. Sometimes it becomes overwhelming when being inundated in the topic. It's easy to go off on a tangent that has nothing to do with the dissertation topic.

You're doing research on ADHD ? How cool !

If you need a lab rat, call me
Old 07-13-18, 10:42 AM

Ronnie04 is on a distinguished road

Don’t know if this counts but I have a license for RDH ( registered dental hygiene) and local anesthesia
Old 09-30-18, 04:26 PM

PI-ADHD 29 is on a distinguished road

I've predominantly inattentive ADHD (was diagnosed 3 months ago)+major depression. I was never a hard studying student, I could almost never studied more than 2 hours in a day.I was boring too quickly, couldn't concentrate etc. But even though I was above average academically. Interstingly, it was very enjoyable for me to go library and look at and borrow books (which some of them wasn't necessary for exams). Other students was using library as a place for studying exams. But it was difficult for me to study exams for hours. I have never understood how they could do that.
I had decided and wanted to be an academician when I started to go university. I'm doing PhD for about 2 years. Now I have to find a topic for thesis. I was prescribed ritalin and strattera. At first days 10 mg ritalin worked very good at least for 3 hours. And I was hopeful after years. But now even 20 mg works only 1 hour. I'm in depression, feel myself useless, foolish... I lost my hope, self-confidence fully which was already only a little. Sometimes I think to leave PhD. I think scholarship is the worst choose for an adhd. How can you do?
Old 09-30-18, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PI-ADHD 29 View Post
I've predominantly inattentive ADHD (was diagnosed 3 months ago)+major depression. I was never a hard studying student, I could almost never studied more than 2 hours in a day.I was boring too quickly, couldn't concentrate etc. But even though I was above average academically. Interstingly, it was very enjoyable for me to go library and look at and borrow books (which some of them wasn't necessary for exams). Other students was using library as a place for studying exams. But it was difficult for me to study exams for hours. I have never understood how they could do that.
I had decided and wanted to be an academician when I started to go university. I'm doing PhD for about 2 years. Now I have to find a topic for thesis. I was prescribed ritalin and strattera. At first days 10 mg ritalin worked very good at least for 3 hours. And I was hopeful after years. But now even 20 mg works only 1 hour. I'm in depression, feel myself useless, foolish... I lost my hope, self-confidence fully which was already only a little. Sometimes I think to leave PhD. I think scholarship is the worst choose for an adhd. How can you do?
I think, a PhD is incredibly hard if you have ADHD purely because of the level of self motivation and organisation it requires.

I really, really struggled in spite of loving the topic and being fairly good at it too. But I spent months at a time procrastinating, I kept making silly mistakes, which meant that several times I had to go back and redo the work of the last six months or so and I almost couldn't complete mY PhD because somehow I didn't really realise when I was approaching the day of my submission deadline.

A few tips:

1. Try to build in as much of external accountability as possible. Insist on regular meeting with your supervisor and tell them about your plan.

2. Write down everything. In my second or third year I started using Microsoft's OneNote to write down everything, including I which directories is stored what, etc. It helped so, so much.

3. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Don't spend months working on something very tiny but necessarily when someone else can you help with the.

4. Use a reference manager right from the beginning (if you aren't already). If you are writing to ms word then endnote is really good and your university should have a susxription.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
namazu (09-30-18)