ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 06-20-18, 12:04 PM

Luckyjag77 is on a distinguished road
Red face Curious about work habits (sorry long winded)

Hi all,

This is my first post to these forums. Work is my biggest issue right now that my A.D.D. is ruining. I am a 40 year old woman. I have 2 teenage boys, a special needs sister and my husband that I live with. I have A.D.D. of the inattentive type. I recently started taking 30 mg of Vyvanse in the am. I was on Adderall 5 mg 3x day. The Vyvanse was working incredible but I have seen a bit of a decrease the longer I am on it. I am leary to up my dose right now. I also suffer from anxiety and any body symptoms or issues that is different I panic. Ugh...Back to what I was getting at...I know that I am pretty smart I was able to attain my Associate's Degree in Paralegal Studies, find a job in my field, and stay at a job for 7 years (my longest).

That being said, as a young adult I jumped from job to job quitting or getting fired because, I was bored with it and didn't want to go or I thought I should be boss already as I have been there for a month.

Fast forward to me actually having jobs that I liked and stayed at. As I am looking back on the common denominators that I feel made me leave or was asked to leave are the following:

1. Attention to Detail - I miss dates, transposed numbers and letters, etc. I am at least having to fix it a couple times before it goes out (if I catch it before then).
2. Think of everything else but work and of course they are all more important than the work I need to get done (such as this post I am writing on company time).
3. It is a busy law office I work at so I have usually 3 or more things going on at once. Phone will ring, Attorney will ask question, someone will walk in and then I have to figure out where I left off.
4. If it is something that I am not sure what needs to be done or it is too much, I will leave it to the side thinking I will tackle it in a few which never happens.
5. My mind will just really get distracted and bored and say its time for a facebook break that lasts way too long.
6. Being late - EVERY job I have had, I have been spoken to for being late. I will be good for a week or two and then boom...late
7. right now I work mostly on my own which is kind of an issue for me since I have no real discipline. I also think that is why I get bored easier too. I have really no one to chat with while I work. But it also helps keep me a little more focused.
Every job, I am always that one who is just on the cusp of being let go.

So I am super sorry for the LONG WINDED post but:
Do any of you have these issues or other issues?
What tools do you use to help you?
Maybe the Office isn't an environment I need to work in. Any suggestions for jobs that are more fitting for an ADD Inattentive?
Anyone use a Job coach? I looked for a ADD coach and it was $600/mo out of pocket

Thank you for any help.
The Following User Says Thank You to Luckyjag77 For This Useful Post:
stef (06-20-18)