ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 07-16-08, 08:21 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,791 Times in 1,933 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Filing for disability because of ADHD

disability pension brought up several threads

http://www.addforums.com/forums/sear...bility+pension

Phaedrus

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Imnapl For This Useful Post:
reesah (07-16-08), roly poly (07-16-08)
Old 07-16-08, 08:32 PM
Forum Guru

reesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to all

this one looks promising.
where do I start, where do I begin?
Old 07-16-08, 09:26 PM

Thanked 3,791 Times in 1,933 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by reesah View Post
this one looks promising.
This link is to information for people aged 3 - 18 years old, not adults.

Phaedrus

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-08, 07:52 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,415 Times in 6,122 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: About to apply for disability :( I can't believe its come to this..

Quote:
Perhaps a sticky is in order for this subject. Mods!
Good idea - consider it done.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 07-30-08, 04:48 PM
ADDvanced Member

ADDBecky will become famous soon enough

I've been out of a job for 2 years. No one wants to hire someone who only has temp job. I even have a Computer degree and can't find a darn thing. I've been fired and i've guit from jobs.

I also didn't know you could get dis. for ADD....handy info

~(Can't sit still EVER!)~
Old 07-30-08, 04:51 PM

xstarchildx is a glorious beacon of lightxstarchildx is a glorious beacon of lightxstarchildx is a glorious beacon of lightxstarchildx is a glorious beacon of lightxstarchildx is a glorious beacon of lightxstarchildx is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetdave View Post
Perhaps a sticky is in order for this subject. Mods!
What does a sticky do, iv'e never understood it?
Old 09-06-08, 09:39 AM
ADDvanced Member

Jillette is a jewel in the roughJillette is a jewel in the roughJillette is a jewel in the rough

At my old job I worked with people with Developmental Disabilities and trust me going for SSI is a hard road and do not expect it all to happen fast experience even in cases where you can clearly see a person is mentally retarded. Normally you will get rejected first time around and you have to fight it and re-apply and possibly get a lawyer. Make sure you have copies of all diagnosis and in it how it affects your ability to work important piece. The problem you may face is you had a long standing job in their eyes it proves you can do it so have a lot of negative to go with it. You have to prove impact as well as diagnosis.

I applied for my child a year ago and she got denied "we are not saying she has no disability but your income level dis-qualifies" They do not see we work our tails of and pay for extras like psychologist, private Occupational Therapy etc. Oh and add the expense of medication (thank goodness I have awesome insurance).

I wish you the best and let us know how it goes. Jill
Imnapl (09-06-08), Retromancer (09-06-08)
Old 09-06-08, 02:50 PM
ADDvanced Member

GiddyMoon will become famous soon enough

I am in California. Although ADHD is seen as a disability, it in itself is usually NOT considered a disability that means one cannot hold down a job. Since the OP held a job for over 4.5 years, this shows they have the ability to work.

Even people with extreme physical disabilities get turned down. The state of California is in a 14++BILLION dollar deficit state with no current budget. It is getting harder and harder to qualify for disability and you have to show a long history of not being able to do a dang thing to even have a chance. If you if you have had constant in and out of mental facilities, constant loss of jobs, suicide attempts, major co existing issues, you can still easily be turned down and have to reapply all over again..it is NOT easy to get on disability in CA.
Old 10-04-08, 07:45 PM

bailee33 will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Unable to get perscription for Dexedrine so I can study for my nursing boards

I have been on anti-depressants for over 10 years now, I've tried just about everything out there. I just finished my second degree as a nurse (was scared to death to go back to school after 7 years and feeling like I was stupid b/c I could never get anything done). SO before nursing school I saw a psychiatrist who put me on all kinds of bi-polar and antipsychiotic drugs where I could barely stay awake or go to sleep. I'm fine if I'm up on my feet, but once I sit down to study or write a paper I get completely distracted and get nothing done. This has gone on for 12 years, all that time I thought I was kinds dumb, but knew I always wanted more. I tried dexedrine once for driving across the country and it worked great, no side effects, no hang over. I've tried to get a script (I don't have health insurance and am not working b/c I've failed my state nursing boards 2 times, partly b/c I cannot sit long enough to study what I need to and second I'm not a good test taker) but have been unsuccessful. If I only had 3 or 4 weeks worth, I know I could pass my exam. I'm so desperate, I'd rather not turn to unknown drugs, but maybe I will....I want to stay awake so bad and learn what I need to. During school I was on Provigil which helps you remain awake with no side effects but the medication is soooo expensive. Does anyone know of anything? Please help. Thanks,
The Following User Says Thank You to bailee33 For This Useful Post:
Squirrely Seth (06-20-11)
Old 11-06-08, 12:00 PM
Contributor

chellechelle is on a distinguished road

I am about to try and get on odsp in february. i cant believe aswell that it has come to this but i know this is what i have to do.MY adhd is getting so bad especially now that i have started school as i am not yet on meds and i know that this is something that has to be remedied very very soon or one of these days i am not going to be able to go. yes it is that bad. and if you miss more than six days you are bootes out of the program. I also have sevre depression and anxiety problems that make it almost impossible to work. I was fired from my job a few months ago and i am sure that this was the reason. i only had the job for three weeks. its not that i sabotaged myself i would go iuts jsut i couldnt bring myself to do everything i had to do i was there freakin outy having panic attacks and wanting to go hide in the freezer and slit my wrists. yes its that bad. i also began doing that again as of recently and i hate that i am doing it. i dont want to freak my boyfriend out as i have only done it once so far now. its not deep enough to do any real; damage of blood loss jsut deep enough the make me feel some physical pain relieveing the emotional. i need to get way more help from mypsychiatrist and my good days are good and my bad days are utterly impossible to bear. this is why i need odsp. i just hope i can get accepted fast to alieviate all this presssure on my boyfriend financially. I feel so bad that i cant help which jsut makes everything with me a whole lot worse. and besiddeds i love him more than i can say
Old 11-16-08, 01:17 AM
ADDvanced Member

Clayjar will become famous soon enough

You really need to look for a job. Applying for disability is not enough because you might not get it. Might as well play the lottery.

I am not trying to be mean, but you need to be motivated to find a job. I've been there. Sitting there will only make it worse.

Got laid off in 2001 and couldn't find a stable job until 2003. Between that time, I applied for jobs on job websites, joined more than 10 temp agencies in my field, and freelanced here and there through those temp agencies. Yes I had problems with procrastination, but I did it.

An agency found my resume on monster.com and asked me for an interview in Nov 2003. It was a temp job until the end of the year. After I left, they called me back a couple days later to continue. They kept me as a permanent temp for 2 years until they hired me full time. Annoyed that they took so long to make me full-time, but it pays well and is a job.
Old 11-23-08, 02:12 PM
Contributor

NickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of light

Clayjar

You are being patronizing. You are I are from the nyc metro area and know
That any type of employment gap is fatal and getting fired and not having continuous e employment in ones industry is worse.
Believe me I know and have been question ostracized etc. Until I had to do serious lying to get my current job. Many with adhd DONOT have the perfect linear careerpath that you muat have to get ahead in this part of the country. Btw continuing claims are highest sine 1983 but not in your little suburban bubble right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayjar View Post
You really need to look for a job. Applying for disability is not enough because you might not get it. Might as well play the lottery.

I am not trying to be mean, but you need to be motivated to find a job. I've been there. Sitting there will only make it worse.

Got laid off in 2001 and couldn't find a stable job until 2003. Between that time, I applied for jobs on job websites, joined more than 10 temp agencies in my field, and freelanced here and there through those temp agencies. Yes I had problems with procrastination, but I did it.

An agency found my resume on monster.com and asked me for an interview in Nov 2003. It was a temp job until the end of the year. After I left, they called me back a couple days later to continue. They kept me as a permanent temp for 2 years until they hired me full time. Annoyed that they took so long to make me full-time, but it pays well and is a job.
Old 12-06-08, 07:08 PM
Jr Member

tizzylish is on a distinguished road

i've attempted this here where i live but there is such fierce competition that it would take forever to build up my clientele and actually make a good living...sigh. i know its possible, though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhdogwalker View Post
Hi Nick! You could always walk dogs! I have been fired from or quit every single office job I have ever attempted to do. And, believe it or not, you can make a very decent living.
Old 12-14-08, 11:00 AM
Contributor

oddjobace has a spectacular aura aboutoddjobace has a spectacular aura about

I've just found a line of work that may have possiblilties.

I have always said find something that needs to be done that nobody wants to do and you'll have a job.

Cleaning Toilets. Yuck!! Funny huh, any volunteers? I just spent an hour working on my friends toilet to get it to flush away what ever is in it. Yuck again.

How much would you pay someone to stick their hand into a toilet and scrap the hard water calcium build up/rust build up that prevents a good flush. $100.00, $200.00?

I live in middle Michigan, talk about unemployment. I am having issues with my job right now. Imagine putting dress pants, dress shirt, tie and shoes then walking in a 5 to 10 degree snow blizzard door to door to fill out apts.

You come into the building and your glasses fog up for the first two minutes, then knock the snow off your dress shoes before you slip and fall in front of your next potential employer.

Toilet cleaning is more of an example then anything else that there are still things to do out there that people just plain can't do or would never dream of doing. This equals work.

Regards,
OddJobAce

Perception is 9/10ths reality

Those who define others define themselves.
Old 12-17-08, 01:57 AM
ADDvanced Member

Clayjar will become famous soon enough

NickL30
My career is anything but perfect. I struggled to find a job between June 2001 to Nov 2003. I scraped by with freelance work. Scraped. I spent more time looking for work than actually freelancing. But I kept looking and posting my resume on websites. I was discouraged and depressed and wanted to give up. But I finally found something in Nov 2003 and worked there ever since. Though my future is now uncertain.

Having a gap is not fatal, just a challenge. i am saying is keep searching and you'll find something. It is not easy. It wasn't easy to get my current job! There is no bubble in my area! I didn't want the OP to simply wait for the pie-in-the-sky disability that might not come. I wanted to motivate the OP to just keep trying and not lose heart in job searching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL30 View Post
Clayjar

You are being patronizing. You are I are from the nyc metro area and know
That any type of employment gap is fatal and getting fired and not having continuous e employment in ones industry is worse.
Believe me I know and have been question ostracized etc. Until I had to do serious lying to get my current job. Many with adhd DONOT have the perfect linear careerpath that you muat have to get ahead in this part of the country. Btw continuing claims are highest sine 1983 but not in your little suburban bubble right
meadd823 (01-25-09)