ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-12, 09:28 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 18,353 Times in 9,050 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Money - Is having it a cure? And a lack of it a killer?

For the non-Canadians, the *real* young'uns, and those who haven't yet had the pleasure:

ADHD + $$$ ≠ no-ADHD -- but assuming one isn't living totally "off the grid", it can definitely help.

- Treating ADHD generally costs money (meds, therapy, etc.).

- Having money in savings can help cushion people from ADHD-induced financial blows (crashed car, late fees, etc.).

- Not having to worry about being able to afford the basics removes major sources of stress and anxiety (and sometimes paperwork and logistical details) that might otherwise make life more difficult to manage.
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
BR549 (09-23-12)
Old 09-23-12, 09:50 PM
Artisan of Shenanigans

Thanked 4,767 Times in 3,105 Posts
Conman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond repute

i think this song sums it all up in my professional opinion. great song

-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 09-23-12, 09:54 PM
Forum ADDvocate

PookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to all

I go back and forth on the whole money issue because most people I know who have a lot of it tend to be douche nozzles. That being said I wouldnt mind having enough to pay off all my debts and get my bills current so I could start at $0
The Following User Says Thank You to PookDo For This Useful Post:
Flory (09-23-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-12, 09:56 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Verile is a glorious beacon of lightVerile is a glorious beacon of lightVerile is a glorious beacon of lightVerile is a glorious beacon of lightVerile is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
My belief is that money DOES make you happy, and without it we, or at least I, am nothing. And I believe that it's actually a cure (but not literally) for all my ADD, depression and anxiety problems.
Depends on what's causing your depression and anxiety I suppose. Not being able to feed yourself or pay rent is certain to cause stress and anxiety. But not even being ultra rich will give you zeal or self-satisfaction with who you are and what you're doing (or not doing) with your life.

I'm financially stable. It helps for acquiring meds which is a huge bonus, I admit. But money itself has never made me happy. I'm certainly not nothing without it. It's just another tool like any other. In fact, the chief reason I'm financially stable is because I spent years saving my income because I couldn't bring myself to leave my home and spend it.
Old 08-10-17, 07:32 PM
Contributor

demfabbones is a name known to alldemfabbones is a name known to alldemfabbones is a name known to alldemfabbones is a name known to alldemfabbones is a name known to alldemfabbones is a name known to alldemfabbones is a name known to all

There have been social science studies that show that money ITSELF doesn't make you happy, but that security does. So basically, I think that living in poverty or close to it makes you stressed and depressed (and takes a toll on your overall physical and mental health), having enough makes you financially secure and able to focus on other areas of your life without as much worry, and beyond that, you're just trying to "buy" happiness with material possessions, which doesn't work.

In short, I think money buys peace, to a point.

The Following User Says Thank You to demfabbones For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (08-10-17)
Old 08-10-17, 08:58 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 19,261 Times in 10,240 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

More choices.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-10-17), Greyhound1 (08-11-17)
Old 08-10-17, 10:30 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 12,883 Times in 6,198 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

A lack of money can be a killer but having a lot of money doesn't cure anything. It probably causes more harm for many people IMO.

Money is like a stimulant medication, having the right amount really helps but too much can become addictive, greedy and self centered behavior.

Last edited by Greyhound1; 08-10-17 at 10:48 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-10-17), Little Missy (08-11-17), Unmanagable (08-11-17)
Old 08-11-17, 07:07 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,224 Times in 13,238 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Its important to know the difference between security and material goods.,

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (08-11-17)
Old 08-11-17, 10:07 AM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,672 Times in 8,848 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

I feel that money is just another form of energy.

I was raised without much of it, was homeless for a while without any of it, worked my a** off in various reputable, along with many unimaginable ways to acquire some of it, and thankfully am in a space now where I don't have to spend each minute of each day worrying myself sick about it.

The choices we make when we have it as to where and what we exchange it for comes back to us, just like all the rest of the energetic exchanges we choose to partake in.

Sometimes, it seems having more of it simply leads to seeking more and more external solutions vs. tapping into the internal ones that seem to offer a much greater reward, based solely on my years of personal experiences.

It also reminds me of the Ted talk I saw a while back about the paradox of choice...how we always think having more choices will mean more freedom:

Quote:
Psychologist Barry Schwartz takes aim at a central tenet of western societies: freedom of choice. In Schwartz's estimation, choice has made us not freer but more paralyzed, not happier but more dissatisfied.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following User Says Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (08-11-17)
Old 08-11-17, 10:31 AM

Thanked 12,575 Times in 5,578 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Having it a cure? Dunno, never had enough to know.

Not having it a killer? The stress will potentially take years off your life, result in high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, kidney failure, and so on, so you tell me.

Cheers,
Ian
Greyhound1 (08-11-17), Little Missy (08-11-17), stef (08-12-17)
Old 08-11-17, 06:55 PM

Thanked 3,394 Times in 1,740 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Money can't completely cure my particular adhd cause it also affects me socially. Can't buy friends and loved ones that are genuine anyway.

But does it help my life, hell yes. I've hired people to clean, bought out at restaurants, paid a laundromat to wash my clothes back when I couldn't get myself to do them, bought a condo near my workplace so I don't have to drive and accidentally kill myself.0

Also, it let me really focus to solve one adhd weakness at a time as I could hire out for all my chores except the one I wanted to try and improve on. It's so much easier to overcome one problem at a time.

I saw a chart once on happiness versus money. It basically showed when surveying a number of people, that money did indeed increase happiness up to I think around $100,000. After that, it didn't really increase happiness.

That makes sense to me cause you are at a point where you don't need to worry financially when you have that income. After that amount, more money won't help you as much cause you've already got enough.

For adhders, I'd think that dollar amount would be even higher. So we don't have to work, clean,cook,drive, etc. Whatever gives us stress, we give to someone else to do.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (08-11-17), stef (08-12-17)
Old 08-11-17, 07:46 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 12,883 Times in 6,198 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Money is only a tool which can make our lives easier or can make it worse. It's not curing anything and as Missy said, it does give someone many more choices. Choices which could make life better and some Adhd symptoms seem less troublesome, noticeable or impairing but they aren't gone or cured.

Some with money would make good choices making life more beneficial and many of us would not.

Perhaps money could help or rid some of co-morbids like anxiety, or depression caused by years of financial distress.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-11-17), Little Missy (08-11-17), stef (08-12-17)
Old 08-11-17, 08:49 PM

Thanked 19,261 Times in 10,240 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Its important to know the difference between security and material goods.,
and needs versus wants

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-11-17), Greyhound1 (08-11-17), stef (08-12-17)
Old 08-12-17, 01:18 AM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,104 Times in 12,772 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

The anxiety caused by not having enough money for food, safe, decent housing and basic needs, all at once, and not being able to afford some emergency expense, is simply overwhelming.
beyond that, no I dont think that money can buy you happiness.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-12-17), Greyhound1 (08-12-17), Little Missy (08-12-17)
Old 08-12-17, 04:40 PM

Thanked 2,313 Times in 1,092 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

Money can definitely help with treating ADHD. But the money doesn't do the work itself. You have to wisely use money.

I know a guy who was a long-time alcoholic. He blew through like $300,000 of family inheritance as a drunk. He sadly can't remember what the hell he spent it on. And yes, he definitely has ADHD but he wasn't treated for it. Complete waste of money. He used money to escape and not to improve his life.

I'm not sure I would have used money well at a younger age. I think I could use it more wisely now because I've developed a lot of good coping skills--partly in response to not having a lot of money.

There is a famous TED talk on happiness by the Nobel-Prize-Winning psychologist Daniel Kahneman, who identifies at least two forms of happiness:

1. In-the-moment happiness ...

2. Overall satisfaction with life ...

Kahneman found that there was basic income of about $65,000 ... above which people didn't experience any greater moment-to-moment happiness. But the further below $65,000 you went, the more moment-to-moment misery people reported. (On overall satisfaction with life--not how happy you feel in the moment--the more money you made, the more satisfied people say they are.)

These findings are all broad conclusions based on averages. There is obviously individual variation.

The name of this TED Talk is "The riddle of experience vs. memory."https://www.ted.com/talks/daniel_kah...ence_vs_memory

Tone

Last edited by ToneTone; 08-12-17 at 04:51 PM..