ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD A forum to discuss Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Simple Phobias, and Social Anxiety Disorder

Old 01-23-20, 02:48 PM
ADDvanced Member

PI-ADHD 29 is on a distinguished road
Heart anxiety

As i had already wrote somewhere else in the forum, a few weekss ago i felt tachycardia and hypertension after i took 7.5 mg ritalin.
After that day, i got ''heart anxiety''. Although me and my family don't have any known heart issue, I started to think about heart attack and death too much.
My doctor suggested me to do exercise and it's helpful for me. But after 3-5 minutes i feel mild tachycardia and hypertension and i can't go on. Sometimes i also feel a weak pain in left chest. I want to go fitness center or gymnasium but i'm afraid of heart. So i can't.
I check myself if have arrythmia or tachy/bradycardia etc during day.
Did your doctor asked you if you have or not any heart issue prior to start stimulats ? Or did he/she consultate with a cardiologist? My doctor did't and I think he should have done.
I read somewhere deaths linked to stimulants. Are stimulants really so dangerous when used prescribed dosages?
Started with ritalin (worked only for two weeks)
Also tried wellbutrin and strattera
Now: ritalin and medikinet
For about three years local corticosteroid pomades for atopic dermatitis.
Old 01-24-20, 05:05 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,311 Times in 15,448 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Heart anxiety

Where did you read about death and stimulants?

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (01-24-20)
Old 01-30-20, 09:54 PM

Moki1993 is on a distinguished road

If you have an existing heart condition, most doctors won’t prescribe a stimulant.

Sounds to me like it’s been a struggle for you to find the appropriate treatment combo for your ADHD, anxiety and depression. Best of luck!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-20, 02:32 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Where did you read about death and stimulants?
I have not done much research yet but found an article: https://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi....2009.09040472
In the article's conclusion section it's written: ''This case-control study
provides support for an association between the use of stimulants and sudden
unexplained death among children and adolescents. Although sudden unexplained death is a rare event, this finding should be considered in the context of other data about the risk and benefit of stimulants in medical treatment.''
In contrast in a meta-analyse (https://bmccardiovascdisord.biomedce...471-2261-12-41) the results are conflicting.
What i understand is that there may or may not be increased cardivascular risk associated with stimulant use but even if there is, it seems rare.
Also in an article -i can't remember now- it was argued that cardiovascular issues associated with methylphenidate was higher than amphetamines.
Do you know anything about mph or amph is more risky for heart?
Old 01-31-20, 02:45 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moki1993 View Post
If you have an existing heart condition, most doctors wonít prescribe a stimulant.

Sounds to me like itís been a struggle for you to find the appropriate treatment combo for your ADHD, anxiety and depression. Best of luck!
Doctor suggested me brintellix for anxiety but ironically i can't use it because i'm afraid of drug interaction so i didn't start to take brintellix. I have had a serious and awful drug interaction when i took ritalin plus duloxetine (you can see my old posts).
Old 02-04-20, 01:42 AM
Contributor

SashaBV has a spectacular aura aboutSashaBV has a spectacular aura about

Well, I had already had a full work-up by a cardiologist before I was diagnosed officially as ADHD. I have only a minor atrial valve problem, which hasn't been a problem as far as my ADHD treatment so far. A cardiologist can diagnose what exactly you have and also advise you on what type medications you could take for ADHD or anxiety, if any.
Old 02-28-20, 12:37 PM
ADDvanced Member

I went to a cardiologist a few days ago. I did treadmill exercise test and 24 hour holter ecg test. The doctor told me that don't worry, you don't have any nothworthy heart problem except intermittent tachycardia. He said me: Your tachycardia is because of your extreme worry, anxiety about your heart (I think he is right 100%). He prescribed me metoprolol (beta blocker). At first he suggested me to use every day. But i asked doctor what if metoprolol cause braycardia. So he told me i could take only when i feel tachycardia. Also he suggested me not to take too much caffeine. But he didn't suggest me not to use methylphenidate. Also i realised my tachycardia increases when i'm in stressfull situations or when i behave impulsively.
I haven't take any metoprolol yet.
I haven't been using methyphenidate for a long time. I need but i have extreme fear and concern about my heart so can't take. Nowadays i take neither caffeine nor stimulants so i feel very tired and unmotivated. I'm in a vicious cycle and don't know what to do.
Are my feelings because of obsessive compulsive disorder, if not what could it be?