ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Primary & Secondary Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Primary & Secondary Education This forum is for parents to discuss issues related to their children's education and AD/HD.

Old 05-10-18, 11:11 PM

dihahey is on a distinguished road
Tests Average on state testing but Fails all classes

My son has ADD and he hates school. It causes him so much stress and anxiety and makes him feel like a failure. He is in 6th grade and has 54 accommodations. He wants an IEP but I have been talked out of it by the counselor and school psychologist because he scores average on the state testing. My son is on state insurance and I paid out of pocket to get the ADD diagnosis so we could get the 504 plan. He had 50+ missing assignments at the end of the first semester. He felt great once he had the 504 plan in place and knew he had a fresh start with all of the missing assignments being cleared out. He did okay for a month maybe but he is missing about 23 assignments now and he has one D+ and F's in the other classes.

I am trying to figure out my options. Do I pay out of pocket for further testing to prove the school wrong (even though i cannot afford it). Could the testing be inaccurate? If I ask for the IEP evaluation now I feel like they will be bias. They have their minds set on my son being lazy.

He feels so defeated and my heart is broken.
The Following User Says Thank You to dihahey For This Useful Post:
namazu (05-11-18)
Old 05-11-18, 05:13 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,622 Times in 14,592 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tests Average on state testing but Fails all classes

You need to write a letter to the child study team or office of special services or whatever yours is called. You need to mail it certified return receipt and also include an email to the principal. They are required to test your child and have the results available in 60 days. Look up wrights law dot com and also PRISE which is parental rights in special education. They can give you tips. You should not have to pay for anything.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 05-11-18, 12:01 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Caco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to behold

A friend of mine just went through this today. Child is failing ALL classes, but is ineligible for an IEP because he's in the 99th percentile when they tested him for a learning disability. He is documented ADHD, been medicated for awhile.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-18, 05:04 PM
Contributor

LyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to behold

That is absurd. I had to fight with my school to do the testing but do it they did. And I fought to get his IEP.

He has Autism and had a severe speech delay and is also ADHD. He tests advanced or accelerated on every grade level test they give him. Top percentiles. He is in all honors classes and makes good grades. He has no learning disability. He took the ACT with very little prep in 6th grade (I think he was 11 at the time) and got a 21 or a 24 I can't remember off the top of my head.

He still has his IEP.

His IEP gives him speech therapy time, OT consultation time, extra time on tests, allows him the use of fidgets, and he is allowed to excuse himself from class to calm down if he is upset or overstimulated.

A good test score does not mean a fully functioning child.

Do NOT pay for those tests. Make them do what they are legally mandated to do and test him.

I had to contact my actual school board to get him tested so if they give you grief about it try going over their heads. Writing a letter is really great for having documentation of the time range they have to do the testing. I'd advise going that route. I'm just too much of a b***h to write a snarky letter. I preferred to be snarky in person.

You need to make sure they do what is right by your child to give him a fair and appropriate education.
Old 05-14-18, 10:03 AM

dihahey is on a distinguished road

It is very frustrating. He told me that he guesses on the test so he got lucky. There are 4 levels to the scoring and he got the low end of level 2 which is not that lucky. They just did testing again and the results should be back very soon.