ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-18, 07:46 PM
ADDvanced Member

LyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of light
Re: New Member: Does ADHD get worse with age?

I'm considering going back to being a vegetarian. I almost cry over the lobsters at the local super market so I *probably* shouldn't be eating pigs. A search on google tells me it is possible to do keto vegetarian style. Wonder what kind of strange crap I'd be eating.

I gave up coffee but I was big into it for a while. Can't say that I terribly miss it. Well I gave it up after they gave me stimulants so I kinda cheated. Hopefully giving up smoking (so far anyway). Need to switch my diet back. I'd like to get in some more miles per week. I'm probably waaaay too screwed up for any health regimen to save me without meds. But it could probably help. I'll start thinking of my grocery list for next week.
The Following User Says Thank You to LyrinMeow For This Useful Post:
tudorose (05-30-18)
Old 05-30-18, 07:47 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,197 Times in 5,468 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

yes, most mental illness can get worse with age

here is just a simple form of the reason for something to look at

“We studied only one part of the brain, the hippocampus, but our findings could provide insight into how white matter is changing in conditions such as schizophrenia, autism, depression, suicide, ADHD, and PTSD,” Kaufer said. The hippocampus regulates memory and emotions, plays a role in various emotional disorders, and has been known to shrink under extended periods of acute stress.

The researchers found that hardening wires may be at the heart of the hyper-connected circuits associated with prolonged stress. This results in an excess of myelin — and too much white matter — in some areas of the brain. Ideally, the brain likes to trim the fat of excess wiring through neural pruning in order to maintain efficiency and streamlined communication within the brain.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...d-connectivity

plasticity
PoppnNSailinMan (05-31-18)
Old 05-30-18, 08:01 PM

Thanked 4,772 Times in 2,055 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyrinMeow View Post
I'm considering going back to being a vegetarian. I almost cry over the lobsters at the local super market so I *probably* shouldn't be eating pigs. A search on google tells me it is possible to do keto vegetarian style. Wonder what kind of strange crap I'd be eating.

I gave up coffee but I was big into it for a while. Can't say that I terribly miss it. Well I gave it up after they gave me stimulants so I kinda cheated. Hopefully giving up smoking (so far anyway). Need to switch my diet back. I'd like to get in some more miles per week. I'm probably waaaay too screwed up for any health regimen to save me without meds. But it could probably help. I'll start thinking of my grocery list for next week.
Why vegetarian? Just curious

Terry Wahls - the wahls protocol (book) has some limited advice for vegetarian. She doesn't recommend it but at least provides some guidence.
LyrinMeow (05-30-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-18, 08:06 PM
ADDvanced Member

LyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of lightLyrinMeow is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorose View Post
Why vegetarian? Just curious

Terry Wahls - the wahls protocol (book) has some limited advice for vegetarian. She doesn't recommend it but at least provides some guidence.
Because I like animals way more than I like people. And I don't want to kill them. Hence almost crying over lobsters for sale. Alive. Who the **** thought that was a good idea anyway?

I may lose the rest of the weight I want on keto then switch to vegetarian low-ish-but-not-ketosis-inducing-carb diet.

Sorry cows.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LyrinMeow For This Useful Post:
daveddd (05-30-18), tudorose (05-30-18)
Old 05-30-18, 08:15 PM

Thanked 11,197 Times in 5,468 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Because I like animals way more than I like people. And I don't want to kill them. Hence almost crying over lobsters for sale. Alive. Who the **** thought that was a good idea anyway?

I may lose the rest of the weight I want on keto then switch to vegetarian low-ish-but-not-ketosis-inducing-carb diet.

Sorry cows.
lol. same here. i trap spiders and bugs in the house and put them outdoors
Old 05-30-18, 08:45 PM

Thanked 25,391 Times in 11,798 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Sorry cows.
No animals? No lobsters?

No fish oil for you!

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 05-30-18, 09:03 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,328 Times in 671 Posts
Drogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant future

I'm going to say, it depends on the person.

we are all different in this respect, we all have differences in our own adhd as well as other life factors.

from what I have learned for myself through therapy about myself and my own adhd, how beliefs and patterns of talking and thought effect who I am (and I'm not saying we are each like this, but for in my own terms, this is how it is for me(and I know we can each see grains of our own truth in what other's say, so I'll go ahead and spill it)), it depends on one's own beliefs (again, not saying it's as simple for each of us, and that I have it all figured out either).

I think that has a lot to do with our stress levels. say, if we say we can't and believe that, then we can't(do whatever), but if we say we can and believe it, then typically we can. I'm not saying that to sound coy around the prospect of what one person can do another can, on the contrary I know that that isn't the way it works. what I'm saying is, I think we are fairly more intune to what we can do than normal folks simply because of the fairly negative ego we tend to have through life. consider this, someone who can't even imagine being a mathematician won't consider that, our negative ego (that does get better, atleast in my case) makes us imagine the things we can do.

but the stress is the main culprit. from what I understand, it's the underplaying of stress and not letting it out that causes further deterioration that we can consider. such as, if you think that things will never get better, things probably won't and that increases stress and it's that stress that undermines our ability to get better. the twist in that line of reasoning is that we have to acknowledge things are bad at times in order for them to get better.

so by believing that adhd doesn't get better with age could ultimately lead a person into their own deterioration, but at the same time we must accept what we think in order to change what we think.
Old 05-30-18, 09:45 PM

Thanked 25,391 Times in 11,798 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogheda View Post
I'm going to say, it depends on the person.

we are all different in this respect, we all have differences in our own adhd as well as other life factors.

from what I have learned for myself through therapy about myself and my own adhd, how beliefs and patterns of talking and thought effect who I am (and I'm not saying we are each like this, but for in my own terms, this is how it is for me(and I know we can each see grains of our own truth in what other's say, so I'll go ahead and spill it)), it depends on one's own beliefs (again, not saying it's as simple for each of us, and that I have it all figured out either).

I think that has a lot to do with our stress levels. say, if we say we can't and believe that, then we can't(do whatever), but if we say we can and believe it, then typically we can. I'm not saying that to sound coy around the prospect of what one person can do another can, on the contrary I know that that isn't the way it works. what I'm saying is, I think we are fairly more intune to what we can do than normal folks simply because of the fairly negative ego we tend to have through life. consider this, someone who can't even imagine being a mathematician won't consider that, our negative ego (that does get better, atleast in my case) makes us imagine the things we can do.

but the stress is the main culprit. from what I understand, it's the underplaying of stress and not letting it out that causes further deterioration that we can consider. such as, if you think that things will never get better, things probably won't and that increases stress and it's that stress that undermines our ability to get better. the twist in that line of reasoning is that we have to acknowledge things are bad at times in order for them to get better.

so by believing that adhd doesn't get better with age could ultimately lead a person into their own deterioration, but at the same time we must accept what we think in order to change what we think.
I was just returning here to mention hormones.

I don't know if men are affected by the yo-yo of hormones or testesterone

like women are. We are all affected by stress for sure.

I didn't know my problems were related to adhd until I was menopausal.

Some symptoms were new (hot flashes) but many were what I'd been having

ever since I was 9 years old: insomnia, moodiness, anxiety, irritability.

So I started taking a supplement from Avon that had lots of good stuff for

women with hormonal fluctuations.

Some of that good stuff was Omega 3 fish oil and Evening Primrose oil.

After a couple of weeks I realized most of the brain fog was gone,

and other adhd symptoms.

Still had anxiety and finally saw a psychiatrist for that. Anti-depressants, yay.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 05-30-18, 10:00 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,328 Times in 671 Posts
Drogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant future

heh, I've been wanting to create a thread just about how the words we use to describe things are in fact.... I can't think of the right word or phrase, poetic right.

"there is real danger in the darkness, we must look inside to see our own light, when things get down we must look at our own two feat to see that they in turn lift us up from the chaos"

My therapist calls it the hybrid form(I added form), that is, our hyperfocus is hybrid form). true enough, I looked online and saw some papers on the hybrid form of adhd.
rapid-fire
true-aim
darkness/light
anti-depresents
hyper/focus.

when I feel down just reading some of my favorite poetry lifts me up. sometimes I think the weight of our words is really what does us in or doesn't.
The Following User Says Thank You to Drogheda For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (05-31-18)
Old 06-12-18, 10:09 PM

nitro061 is on a distinguished road
Hi there, Iím 33. I would say certain aspects change. I find that older adult symptoms change. I no longer am ďhyper Active ď in fact the entire opposite; something I am currently struggling with plus depression and anxiety are a factor. My short term memory has been impacted significantly.

I found I can use my condition to an advantage in certain things and negative still.

So I would say it has gotten better as I aged I think simply for the fact that I have had many years to study it, recognizes negative, and basically because I am very self aware. That being said I certainly canít control everything.

Hope that helps

Last edited by namazu; 06-12-18 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: merged duplicate posts