ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 01-11-12, 02:26 PM

In.a.daydream is on a distinguished road
Referral to psychiatrist after ADHD diagnosis. 1st appt soon-what to expect?

I'm 22 years old and was recently diagnosed with a "fairly severe" case of ADHD (Inattentive). I initially tried to start evaluation through my college and it was terrible waste of time. You're required to just speak with someone before setting anything up and the woman dismissed everything I said to her to the point where the meeting felt completely ridiculous. She told me she didn't think I should bother with testing at all. My inability to stay on task with anything, as well as my other problems, were attributed to me just being "a very creative thinker". She reluctantly gave me a list of other professionals in the area since she said it'd take 6 months for me to even start with evaluation through the college. I felt a bit pathetic after I left. No one else around me really understood or supported me except my father (who we also believe has ADHD). Some tried, but seemed to think that I was making a mountain out of a molehill

I eventually did go and see a psychologist, went through with the testing, and got my diagnosis however. She was wonderful and the testing was incredibly revealing. I was able to closely look at how I functioned during certain tasks and my problems were more apparent and easier to examine. The day she delivered my diagnosis was one of the best days of my life. I wasn't crazy or horribly flawed. There were reasons why I couldn't change no matter how many ways I tried. When I discussed treatment options she said I could try to go through the college since it's less expensive, but that I should also know they tend to very conservative when it comes to prescribing meds for treatment.

She also referred me to someone else in the area and I faxed them my report. One week from this Friday I'm going to meet with them and I want to know what to expect. I'm a bit concerned that I'll have to convince someone of something again and that she'll dismiss me, though I don't imagine it would be as bad as my first experience. I think I'm just looking for a few words of encouragement, though I know it's impossible to predict precisely what I can expect. Is there an approach that's somewhat typical for psychiatrists to follow with someone who's been diagnosed? My psychologist didn't express that I'd have to go through more testing or anything, but she didn't say I wouldn't have to either. Just a bit curious and any comments are very much appreciated.
The Following User Says Thank You to In.a.daydream For This Useful Post:
neewsmonth (01-11-12)
Old 01-11-12, 02:55 PM

Add-ed@30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Referral to psychiatrist after ADHD diagnosis. 1st appt soon-what to expect?

As you stated, I can't definitavely tell you what to expect. Here was my expierence when I was referred to my "prescriptions" doctor:

I went in for my first appointment, she asked why i was there, i told her my therapist had diagnosed me with ADD. She did a super quick, 10-15 question survey of her own, and then told me that she thought my depression was more prevalent than the ADD and she wanted to treat that first. (Can't say i wasn't a littlel bummed, i had the idealistic ideal that ADD medication would be the cure all). The whole appointment took about 20mins.

BTW- she prescribed me Wellbutrin, which is an anti-depressant, and apparently has just been approved to be used as an ADD treatment as well. I was on welbutrin for a month, not much changed, when i went back (another 15 min appt) she added Vyvanse (stimulant/add meds) so now im on both, it's been about 3 months maybe 4 since my first appointment and we've upped and lowered the dose of both, rearranged them, flipped em and disected em, and now were at 450mg wellbutrin and 40 mg vyvanse daily. Can't tell you how this combo is doing, because the day i started it, i got the flu, so i feel like hell anyway!

Hope it helped! And I was really NERVOUS that she wouldn't believe me, or have to go through more testing that would make me wonder if i was infact nuts and this WASNT what was wrong with me. I brought her my evaluation (which i don't think was as in depth as yours from what it apprears in your post) she glanced at it and went right to her questions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Add-ed@30 For This Useful Post:
neewsmonth (01-11-12)
Old 01-12-12, 04:01 PM
Jr Member

dezire is on a distinguished road
Re: Referral to psychiatrist after ADHD diagnosis. 1st appt soon-what to expect?

Sadly, it all depends on the psychiatrist as to how well it goes. I've had two not very good experiences with NHS psychiatrists who neither seemed that warm or personable to me at all. The first examination last a mere hour or so, and resulted with an immediate diagnoses of anxiety which was just laughable. I demanded a second opinion and eventually got it and possible diagnosis and non-stimulant treatment - I am dissatisfied with the way, as an adult, the process of determining a diagnosis is performed....it's a mixed bag of questionnaires and dialogue. My experience had led me to believe that unless you had rock solid proof that you had problems throughout your life with have led to failures and reports from school, that they are less likely to believe the problems you may express to them.
Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-12, 04:06 PM
Jr Member

dezire is on a distinguished road

A 20 minute assessment! - that is a joke, how could she possibly fathom you out in 20 minutes. Mine was over an hour. I've never heard of a 20 minute assessment. Was it a private consultation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Add-ed@30 View Post
As you stated, I can't definitavely tell you what to expect. Here was my expierence when I was referred to my "prescriptions" doctor:

I went in for my first appointment, she asked why i was there, i told her my therapist had diagnosed me with ADD. She did a super quick, 10-15 question survey of her own, and then told me that she thought my depression was more prevalent than the ADD and she wanted to treat that first. (Can't say i wasn't a littlel bummed, i had the idealistic ideal that ADD medication would be the cure all). The whole appointment took about 20mins.

BTW- she prescribed me Wellbutrin, which is an anti-depressant, and apparently has just been approved to be used as an ADD treatment as well. I was on welbutrin for a month, not much changed, when i went back (another 15 min appt) she added Vyvanse (stimulant/add meds) so now im on both, it's been about 3 months maybe 4 since my first appointment and we've upped and lowered the dose of both, rearranged them, flipped em and disected em, and now were at 450mg wellbutrin and 40 mg vyvanse daily. Can't tell you how this combo is doing, because the day i started it, i got the flu, so i feel like hell anyway!

Hope it helped! And I was really NERVOUS that she wouldn't believe me, or have to go through more testing that would make me wonder if i was infact nuts and this WASNT what was wrong with me. I brought her my evaluation (which i don't think was as in depth as yours from what it apprears in your post) she glanced at it and went right to her questions.
Old 01-19-12, 10:33 PM

In.a.daydream is on a distinguished road

I just really wanted to say thanks to you guys for responding and let you know I had my appointment today. It couldn't have gone better! (Well minus the large amount of time spend on the bus trip there and back since I don't have my car with me. Ha, but that's small) I have in my hand a prescription for 5mg of Adderall which I hope to be picking up tomorrow since I've called around and figured out where they have it in stock. My psychiatrist made me feel very comfortable and..heard Very, "this is what we know so let's see what I can do to help you." I meet with her next week on Friday to discuss how things are going and see if we need to adjust things. Huge sigh of relief Even if these meds ultimately don't work for me or I determine that the experienced side effects are too great a cost, I get a chance to find out! I'm hoping for more than that of course, but had really just expected the chance. Anyway...I just really hope that everyone going through their diagnoses and treatments have as positive of an experience as I've had! More updates to come.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to In.a.daydream For This Useful Post:
Amtram (01-20-12), BR549 (01-19-12)