ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 11-28-16, 09:18 AM

castalia is on a distinguished road
Messy house, messy bag, poor hygiene as a child

I always have a messy house and my bag is always very messy. Also, as a child and teenager I had bad personal hygiene which caused problems. I was bullied a lot by the other kids (for various reasons) and didn't have friends.

Thankfully, I now have great hygiene. While my house and bag are always messy, I am overly organized in my work as an academic. The folders on my laptop are always cleaned and organized etc.

Is this something women here can relate to? Is it an executive dysfunction symptom? Basically I can organize ideas but not material things.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to castalia For This Useful Post:
Jenn1202 (11-28-16), salleh (01-16-17), stef (11-28-16)
Old 11-28-16, 10:26 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,860 Times in 1,180 Posts
Pilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud of
Re: Messy house, messy bag, poor hygiene as a child

I think the hygiene issue as a child hurts, but if you had only known about ADD.

In regards to messy stuff, it's better than being a neat nazi.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pilgrim For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (11-28-16), stef (11-28-16)
Old 11-28-16, 10:52 AM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,847 Times in 13,041 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

In my late 40's I only in the past few years, have a nicely arranged bag, and I can find my clothes.
If I had time I could go through several years of clutter, I know what I'd have to do and how I'd like to sort it but i just dont have time because of work. I have a kind of working system, over all of it. And it would always be kind of messy anyway, no matter what I did.

the bag though, itll save your life. I sort through it on sundays usually (actually i change purses i use a different one on the weekends and then sunday I clean out the one I use for work).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
castalia (11-28-16), salleh (01-16-17), Simargl (01-16-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-16, 10:54 AM

Thanked 21,086 Times in 11,256 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

I have SO many great purses. But I don't know what to do with them.

I just carry cash in my pocket.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
salleh (01-16-17)
Old 11-28-16, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
I think the hygiene issue as a child hurts, but if you had only known about ADD.
I must have been awful to have around. Luckily this issue cleared up in high school when I shaped up and even became a bit of a clean freak since then.
Interestingly, I find that several ADD people (but mostly guys) have had a similar issue. I wonder why. My parents were constantly on my case about this as a child but it just wouldn't go through.

Quote:
In regards to messy stuff, it's better than being a neat nazi.
Yeah, overly neat people have their own problems. My granny washes and irons her heavy curtains once a month and irons her undies too. Now to me that looks like a woman who doesn't have any interests (she doesn't) and has too much free time on her hands.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to castalia For This Useful Post:
Pilgrim (12-04-16), salleh (01-16-17)
Old 11-28-16, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef View Post
the bag though, itll save your life. I sort through it on sundays usually (actually i change purses i use a different one on the weekends and then sunday I clean out the one I use for work).
Oh, I think you are right on. If I make a conscious effort, I am sure I can make it a habit. But it takes time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to castalia For This Useful Post:
salleh (01-16-17), stef (11-28-16)
Old 01-16-17, 10:04 AM
Banned

JamesFidler is on a distinguished road

I too agree that hygiene should be taught to the children to prevent health issues. Basic hygiene like regular bath, hand wash before eating, cleaning of private area for both girls and boys, brushing their teeth, etc. should be taught to keep away infections and other health diseases. Recently we went on voyage humanitaire to Africa check this and there we notice that the health conditions of the children were very poor. We then organized a health program there which covered all the basic hygiene and health related topics which needs to be followed by them.
The Following User Says Thank You to JamesFidler For This Useful Post:
salleh (01-16-17)
Old 01-16-17, 06:09 PM

Thanked 8,347 Times in 3,313 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute

One thing that contributes to a messy place whether at work or home .....is this .....there has to be a place to put the stuff you have .....when you pick up an item, you gotta have a place for it ...without that ....how can you possibly keep your things straight ? .....oh and you have to be able to get at the places you put the stuff ...

Believe or not, it took me decades to understand that ! ....

My room is always a mess visually, because I don't have room for everything I need and use ....and I presently have massive shelves all around my room, everything that isn't a door ( and my door is one of those old-fashioned double doors that are found in Craftsman houses ....7 or 8 feet wide) or my bed...and they are full, those shelves ....and I still have a double high row of boxes running down the side of my room in front of my storage units ....

.....sigh ....

....This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic lane"
Terry Pratchett

....If you're going through hell, ......keep going.....
Old 01-16-17, 10:01 PM

Thanked 1,523 Times in 835 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't have poor hygiene as a child and my natural inclination is to be messy in my personal surroundings and my purse.

My mother was a clean freak so kept everything neat for me when I was a child and when left to my own devices as a teenager I was very messy!

My apartment is very neat right now as I spent yesterday cleaning and part of the today organizing. It's all a facade as I know that in the matter of a few hours it could all be a mess with things left out in each room and I'm back to square one.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

Old 01-16-17, 10:25 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,882 Times in 1,245 Posts
Simargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud of

I can relate. I've never been able to carry a purse though. I've used backpacks for as long as I can remember. I like having everything I need in one place. It keeps me from forgetting the little things.

I had poor hygiene and eating habits as a kid. We were super poor so that played into it to some degree. I'm sure ADHD didn't help anything.

I have a hard time staying organized. I tried orgamizing my art space a few months ago but I'm back to piles and madness. I straighten it up at least once a week but gets out of hand when I'm working. I don't care where things go in the moment. I'm too focused on the task at hand. I bought drawers and some storage for various tools but I didn't label anything so it's ridiculous right now-- I have a basic idea where thugs are but I keep finding things I forgot I even owned.

I want to set a few days aside and reorganize and label everything soon. I'm sure I'll make it happen eventually.
Old 01-17-17, 04:53 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,175 Times in 14,303 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

My areas of mess depend on whose space it is and how much time I spend in it. Growing up my room was messy as I got older and my mom didnt clean it anymore. I was always taking something out and moving on to the next thing before cleaning it up. I never really learned how to keep my own stuff neat for some reason even though my mom was tidy and I had chores. I got married young and had a baby right away and was poor so we never had a big enough place to keep all our stuff. I never had a dish washer until I had been married for like 10 years so there was always dishes everywhere. I now am better with keeping the common areas neater but its a smallish house thats over 240 years old and narrow so having a family of five with their own things means its cluttered in certain places. My bedroom is a wreck which my husband hates cause his side isnt. My laundry room is a disaster. Maybe one day Ill share a pic- but we have clean clothes, its just clothes no one uses anymore and towels and bits and pieces that have just gotten shuffled and rewashed and forgotten. My kitchen isnt too bad but there is a cart thats overflowing. I have learned only in the last 4 years not to make a personal failing judgement about myself over this stuff. My kids are loved and healthy. My family is full of symptathy,empathy and compassion, I focus on kindness and we all have a roof over our heads and food to eat. F**k everyone if they think my laundry room makes me a bad mom or person.

I carried a watermelon?