ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-18, 07:06 PM

misterdow is on a distinguished road
New Member: Does ADHD get worse with age?

I was diagnosed as an adult (around age 32). About 4 years ago, I was diagnosed with a heart condition and my cardiologist said that I cannot take stimulant medication (Dexadrine). There were some growing pains getting used to being unmedicated for ADHD; however, in recent months, I have symptoms that suggest worsening or ADHD. Is that possible/probable? Alternatively, it may be age related (50).

Two questions:
1) Can ADHD get worse with age?
2) Are there other pharaceuticals that help ADHD besides stimulants?

Thanks.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misterdow For This Useful Post:
Impromptu_DTour (05-30-18), peripatetic (05-30-18), stef (05-30-18)
Old 05-29-18, 07:43 PM
Contributor

LyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to behold
Re: New Member: Does ADHD get worse with age?

The answers would be no and Straterra I believe.

In fact some people get better with age. Kids who take ADHD meds may not need them as an adult.
Old 05-29-18, 07:54 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,487 Times in 3,095 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

It can seem worse when you enter adulthood and are forced to face up to a wide range of responsibilities that you didn't need to worry about nearly as much as a child. But at the age of 50, i'd be looking into other possibilities for increased difficulties that you didn't experience before.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
Impromptu_DTour (05-30-18), LyrinMeow (05-30-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-18, 07:59 PM
Contributor

LyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to behold

Oh, I should mention that I've been having problems for about a week now talking to people. I either forget what I'm talking about or completely forget a word I'm looking for and I just have to stand there and say nothing while people stare. As if I weren't eccentric enough. This is thought to be do to one of my psych meds I recently started (Risperdal). I've found a few psych meds, and gabapentin, that can make my ADHD seem worse. So watch out for that.
Old 05-29-18, 08:13 PM

Thanked 26,090 Times in 12,175 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Some of us have found that Omega 3 (fish oil) supplements are helpful.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Impromptu_DTour (05-30-18), LyrinMeow (05-29-18), peripatetic (05-30-18)
Old 05-30-18, 12:34 AM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of

I'm 57 and don't think my ADHD has gotten worse with age. But I am much more aware of it since I was diagnosed 6 years ago, probably because I recognize more of the symptoms for what they are.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (05-30-18), LyrinMeow (05-30-18), stef (05-30-18)
Old 05-30-18, 12:44 AM

Thanked 34,110 Times in 15,441 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

i think things can appear to worsen with age because so often with age comes increased responsibility or other factors that make the symptoms you compensated for in the past more difficult to compensate for now. mine got worse when i lost the heavily structured academic system i was accustomed to working within, for example. or when i first started living on my own.

there are other medications that are used to treat adhd, some off label (wellbutrin and tricyclics) and another (strattera) not. some people swear that occupational therapy and creating organizational strategies really helps.

at any rate, welcome to the forums!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
Impromptu_DTour (05-30-18), LyrinMeow (05-30-18), stef (05-30-18)
Old 05-30-18, 05:35 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
Some of us have found that Omega 3 (fish oil) supplements are helpful.
Do you know a good quality brand that also does not leave you smelling so much your cats come over to inspect? Maybe smaller pills? I already take like 9 pills at night.
Old 05-30-18, 05:37 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,827 Times in 825 Posts
Impromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond repute

RE: pharmaceutical management:
Management of ADHD is quite broad outside of stimulant medication, and not everyone needs to commit to a pharmaceutical centered treatment. Within pharmaceutical options there are other types of medications often used to help manage symptoms. Many times medications coined as "ADHD medications" arent even used, some people opt for what certain antidepressants can provide.

I think its important to underline that while stimulant medications are the gold standard to treatment, there really is no one single approach. ADHD itself is not case-by-case, and sometimes symptoms are relieved by lifestyle, nutrition, and stress management choices.

Standard go-to's apart from medications include B-vitamin suppliments, a vitamin D booster, Omega 3-6-9, Potassium, 5-HTP, DHEA, pure cocoa, meditation and mindfulness exercises, and good old fashion Diet, Sleep and Exercise. Ive even heard of people using 3rd person self-talk to help manage stress related triggers and situations.

RE: worse with age:
The easy answer is "no", but this is kind of a red herring. In a typical scenario, ADHD becomes more passively managable because of a development of coping mechanisms, structures, rituals and habits. This doesnt always happen though.

My ADHD got critically worse, and because I have poor management of stress responses, can leave me incapacitated in certain scenarios. Im useless when im depressed, because specifically i have a challenge with emotional regulation and thought stopping. So, the symptoms of ADHD can greatly be enhanced by life events such as depression, anger, anxiety, over stimulation, and even just being in a new environment where certain management skillsets/schemas are not immediately accessable.

As well, because of the neurobiological systems involved (mood, memory, executive function), if there are any comorbid events working in tandem (ie: a neurological degenerative d/o, or an autoimmune d/o, PTSD etc.), this can certainly cause management of ADHD later on in life to become incrimentally more challenging.

Always things to be aware of, but again, the "typical scenario" is unless conditions provide, ADHD typically becomes "easier to deal with" with age. Never truely goes away, but can become relatively negligible.

All the best,

iDTour
Old 05-30-18, 06:52 AM

Thanked 5,103 Times in 2,225 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

I can't take meds either. Used to be on dex but it made fibromyalgia worse so I had to go off it.

In the absence of meds I find I cope better on a low carb paleo type diet.

If I eat a load or carbs I don't cope very well.

I'm not saying that diet is an alternative to meds but in the absence of anything else it helps me
Old 05-30-18, 07:08 AM

Thanked 27,110 Times in 13,166 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

I also don't think the symptoms get any worse; it's just that life adds more responsibilities as we go along.

Plus, after decades of repeated situations involving difficulties at work, miscommunication, forgetfulness, etc, it all just becomes increadibly wearing and this in itself, makes the symptoms appear worse.

I still remember my dad, out of nowhere, saying that he thought he may have a brain tumor, he was so forgetful. By out of nowhere, I mean on the landing of the stairs in the townhouse; I was coming home from class and he was going out to the garage or something. He must have been around 45. Really, I wish he would have known about ADHD.

Last edited by stef; 05-30-18 at 07:19 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (05-30-18)
Old 05-30-18, 10:50 AM

Thanked 26,090 Times in 12,175 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyrinMeow View Post
Do you know a good quality brand that also does not leave you smelling so much your cats come over to inspect? Maybe smaller pills? I already take like 9 pills at night.
I don't have cats so I don't know if I smell like fish breath.

A few people complain of fishy-burps, but I haven't had that problem.

I've taken the cheap Omega 3 from the dollar store when it's all I could afford

and the pricey stuff from the pharmacy when it was on sale.

The cheap ones actually seemed to work better for me.

They have all been pretty much the same size.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 05-30-18, 11:27 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,633 Times in 15,114 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I think my adhd has always been difficult but it became a different kind of difficult as I got older and had kids. More responsibilities made it difficult in a different way. I also have high blood pressure and am able to take stimulants due to me treating the high blood pressure.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 05-30-18, 04:50 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorose View Post
I can't take meds either. Used to be on dex but it made fibromyalgia worse so I had to go off it.

In the absence of meds I find I cope better on a low carb paleo type diet.

If I eat a load or carbs I don't cope very well.

I'm not saying that diet is an alternative to meds but in the absence of anything else it helps me
Oh wow. I was doing keto and I notice I was doing better. My skin cleared up (acne, rosecea, barbecue (told you I would) I don't have enough problems). Mood was up. Didn't really think to pay attention to my pain levels. I plan on going back to it so I will keep that in mind. Overdid yoga yesterday and am in normal pain today.

Quote:
I don't have cats so I don't know if I smell like fish breath.

A few people complain of fishy-burps, but I haven't had that problem.

I've taken the cheap Omega 3 from the dollar store when it's all I could afford

and the pricey stuff from the pharmacy when it was on sale.

The cheap ones actually seemed to work better for me.

They have all been pretty much the same size.
Fish burps sound AMAZING. Sign me up!

Yeah. You can't eat tuna in my house. Literally. You get mobbed by cats. Its dangerous living on the edge of crazy cat ladydom.
Old 05-30-18, 07:38 PM

Thanked 5,103 Times in 2,225 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyrinMeow View Post
Oh wow. I was doing keto and I notice I was doing better. My skin cleared up (acne, rosecea, barbecue (told you I would) I don't have enough problems). Mood was up. Didn't really think to pay attention to my pain levels. I plan on going back to it so I will keep that in mind. Overdid yoga yesterday and am in normal pain today.
My thinking is that if the body is not working properly then what chance has the brain got.

So my focus has been on physical health. And hoping thr brain will follow along.

I make my own bone broth and make meals from scratch. Typically I'll do something like a roast chicken and save the stock to flavour the bone broth, save the fat for cooking and save the bones for bone broth.

Also make pork lard from free range pork fat. Pigs that go in the sun absorb vitamin D.

My vice is coffee which is a process to give up without sending the body into a pain state from coffee withdrawls.

It's been a long time to this point (6 or 7 years) and I still haven't got things right yet.
LyrinMeow (05-30-18)