ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-18, 02:54 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,330 Times in 672 Posts
Drogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant future
doing well in something boring has, I think, made me boring.

temporarily, I've been doing this 5 week accounting course, and I really have about 10 hours logged but half the course taken(90%). this next week I'm hoping to complete everything but the final.

I often describe accounting, the class, as boring, dry as dirt etc (sorry for any accountants out there). I'm starting to think about the creative side of accounting, something my therapist and I have talked about, one of those is sort of the flip side of what we(well, myself) does.

Like in accounting there is journals and T accounts, ya reading about all this stuff makes it clearer why I should use a journal at the end of the day (even from the class).

the T account is sort of like the flip side of any coin. so like, for me, doing something (or too much of something I feel is boring) tends to make me boring. I must admit, I don't know if this stress from this weekend is really helping.

I guess on one hand I'm trying to rev myself up to just get this accounting class done as fast as I can(squeezing all the motivation I can get), if I don't want to be boring, get all the boring stuff done as fast as I can and out of the way. on the other hand, I'm starting to conceptualize the creative aspects of what I have learned from accounting.

anyone else experience stuff like this? like, the more board you are at doing something the more boring you actually become. not just on the boaring front, but everything.
Old 06-05-18, 05:12 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,617 Times in 14,589 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: doing well in something boring has, I think, made me boring.

I think being boring is a result of being understimulated and it sounds like you are trying to remain engaged the best way you can with this class.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Drogheda (06-05-18)
Old 06-05-18, 08:39 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogheda View Post
anyone else experience stuff like this? like, the more board you are at doing something the more boring you actually become. not just on the boaring front, but everything.
IME, the people that I find most interesting are those who don't let their job define them. Even if you have an interesting job, you still need to be able to talk about a wide range of topics outside of work.

Hopefully you can find a way to make accounting more intrinsically interesting for yourself. But even if you can't, don't let it define you as a boring person.
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
Drogheda (06-05-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-18, 08:41 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,352 Times in 781 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Hey DH, FWIW studying something and gaining knowledge, insights, understanding has always been enjoyable for me and even more so if I can/do leverage it in my other endeavours. This is irrespective of others believing the pursuit is boring or of little value. The one thing I do watch out for is discussing the subject/insights to the point of boring the crap out of others. Also, it is fun when I run into someone that shares similar interests .(In your case the Accounting insights.) -LN
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
Drogheda (06-05-18), PoppnNSailinMan (06-05-18)
Old 06-05-18, 12:29 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,330 Times in 672 Posts
Drogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nut View Post
Hey DH, FWIW studying something and gaining knowledge, insights, understanding has always been enjoyable for me and even more so if I can/do leverage it in my other endeavours. This is irrespective of others believing the pursuit is boring or of little value. The one thing I do watch out for is discussing the subject/insights to the point of boring the crap out of others. Also, it is fun when I run into someone that shares similar interests .(In your case the Accounting insights.) -LN
ya, that is really something I've worked on, even if what I'm doing is boring, seeking to leverage myself from the course, the "ahh, this is why I journal stuff, even though I get this very deep human incite from an...accounting class"

whatever I can do to keep myself entrenched in the class, like SS said. The underestimation thought is reallyinteresting to me. I bombed the first quiz because I tried to do it the way other's are supposed to (taking notes first then doing the questions then taking the quiz). Then I thought of how I operate, especially with dry material that I don't get intrinsically focused on, going back to how I operated with geometry from my HS days(geom wasn't dry to me atleast), do the problems first, then take whatever notes I need (going overboard on the notes but still). sort of making my own notes that don't follow the "notes", but still taking a lot of those notes just incase I have to infer back to them.
Old 06-05-18, 06:31 PM
ADDvanced Member

musicman64 will become famous soon enough

Sometimes I feel like I'm bored. Like all of life is just boring. It's from being under-stimulated. One thing I like to do is take a moment to do something I find very stimulating before sitting down to do the boring thing like getting back to class or for me continuing on to the next sentence in my dissertation.
The Following User Says Thank You to musicman64 For This Useful Post:
PoppnNSailinMan (06-05-18)
Old 06-05-18, 09:19 PM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nut View Post
The one thing I do watch out for is discussing the subject/insights to the point of boring the crap out of others.
Hahaha....That's one of my big failings. When I get interested in some new topic, I talk to all my friends about it. I'm sure that some of them do get bored and wish I'd talk about something else.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
Old 06-06-18, 05:14 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,846 Times in 2,097 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogheda View Post
Quite the opposite actually. The more bored I get the more of a pain in the *** I become.

With the accounting stuff I've had to do plenty of that training at work but to stay stimulated I need to be annoying. But I can't be a pain in the *** like I was at Uni coz it's a workplace... So I fall asleep instead and figure it out on the job.

Means to an end though. I enjoy following the money and working out where the mischief is. That's really fun. When you get your 'gotcha' moment
Old 06-07-18, 12:48 AM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of

I took accounting in high school and got through the coarse, so I must have found something that was a little bit interesting in it. But when I thought about maybe going to business school and having to take more accounting courses, I knew that I couldn't do it. There wasn't enough in accounting to keep me interested that long.

And I loved mathematics and geometry, especially differential equations and analytic geometry. I learned how, for example, to derive the formula that is used to calculate the volume of a sphere. I seriously thought about being a math major.

In general, I love things that involve some sort of puzzle that needs to be solved. And I can be pretty dogged and become hyperfocused when I'm trying to crack a puzzle or figure out a mystery. But once the puzzle is solved, then it becomes less interesting to me and can become boring. That's why writing up reports or papers are boring to me, because I've already solved the puzzle and am usually not very enthusiastic about going through it all again and putting it down on paper.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following User Says Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
namazu (06-07-18)