ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-18, 02:25 AM

chaard is on a distinguished road
How did ADHD symptoms make you for an easy target to abuse?

Hey guys,

I have a very poor working memory due to ADHD, and I feel that this could make someone an easy target for gaslighting or manipulation. I left my exhusband because of this exact thing. My credit memory (i also have a TBI so double whammy). It was used to manipulate, hold power over me, and gaslight the **** out of me.

Now, I am writing a novel where this is a subplot so I'm wondering how others suffering from ADHD have also suffered so I can get a better insight on how to base my plot.

Thanks! Any response is appreciated.
The Following User Says Thank You to chaard For This Useful Post:
QueensU_girl (06-11-18)
Old 06-07-18, 07:49 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,233 Times in 14,915 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How did ADHD symptoms make you for an easy target to abuse?

I think its very possible. I am an alcoholic in recovery and there are things I do not remember so I have the double whammy as well. My kids are always doing this. They will mention something t0 me while Im in the middle of something else and then when I forget they get upset with me and say"mom we talked about this!"

I carried a watermelon?
Old 06-07-18, 12:58 PM
ADDvanced Member

Ronelh has disabled reputation
Re: How did ADHD symptoms make you for an easy target to abuse?

I worked in a job for about six months where I was yelled at every day and told I was stupid for forgetting stuff. It got so that my coworkers and boss would blame me for forgetting stuff even when I wasn't the one who forgot it, just because I was the person most likely to forget it. I wanted to do a good job and would really beat myself up when I made a mistake, so I guess that did make me rather an easy target. I still wish I hadn't stuck with that job for six whole months .... I should have left it much sooner.
finallyfound10 (06-11-18), QueensU_girl (06-11-18)
Sponsored Links