ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-09, 11:43 PM
Jr Member

momewrath is on a distinguished road
going to psychiatrist tomorrow - need advice

Hi everyone. I have a first time appointment with a psychiatrist tomorrow. I'm hoping to be treated for ADD with meds. I found the psychiatrist through the directory that my health insurance provides, talked to her secretary briefly and the secretary confirmed that the doctor works with adult ADD (i'm 28 and female, if it matters).

I've been prescribed Adderall in the past by my GP at the time. I took it for about 3 years and was successful with it, until I guess i became tolerant to my dose, and I suddenly decided to stop taking it.. and then I dropped out of college... long story...

Anyway... so i'm back in school now, going for a nursing degree and I'm having problems concentrating and studying and I'd like to go back on Adderall. I don't have any sort of proof of a diagnosis of ADD... and i have no idea how to find the doctor that initially prescribed it to me. I don't remember his name and the clinic where i used to see him has closed (it's been 7 years since then).

I saw a psychiatrist a little over a year ago in hopes of going back on Adderall but i think she saw me as a drug seeker and would only prescribe me Lexapro (for depression she insisted i had) and she gave me Strattera samples to try, which i didn't, because I looked up the price of strattera and decided i couldn't afford to take it, so i never tried it.

My insurance doesn't cover meds, and money is tight right now. I can't afford any meds that don't have a generic. I've never abused adderall; usually i would have a few extra pills at the end of the month.

So can I get some advice please on how to come out of this $300 psychiatrist appointment with an adderall prescription? I'm nervous about being labeled a drug seeker or the doctor only prescribing non-generics i really can't afford. Should i bring my school schedule to prove I'm actually in classes? some notes from my classes maybe? Should i not request adderall by name? My last experience with a psychiatrist was pretty bad so i'm scared about tomorrow and would appreciate any advice. thanks
Old 02-20-09, 12:10 AM
Contributor

chellechelle is on a distinguished road
Re: going to psychiatrist tomorrow - need advice

notes from teachers showing how they recognixe your condition or how they see there is a lack of concentration when it comes to assignments you hadn in etc. p[roff from other people is the best way
Old 02-20-09, 12:52 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 13,642 Times in 5,040 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Your history will tend to prove out ADHD. The psychiatrist may see it immediately or may choose to run through any number of tests to determine if stimulant therapy is the right path. You may be diagnosed and treated immediately or the psychiatrist may elect to see you several times before settling on a diagnosis. Every doc is different.

The doc will likely be more inclined to see you as drug seeking if you walk in with your own diagnosis and treatment plan already in mind. When I started seeing the therapist I had to wait for several weeks before being seen by the psychiatrist. The therapist went through a variety of tests with me and I got copies of my medical records from a 2003 diagnosis post extensive testing along with the doctor's notes from my 1967 diagnosis. When the medication discussion came up, I was asked what I had been prescribed in the past and what was effective. Adderall was the choice because I had done well on it previously and there were no contraindications.

School records are helpful supportive evidence as is family accounts but you may not have access to these things. Your prior diagnosis and treatment are also helpful even if you cannot get the formal records. The clinic closed and the doctor is not available to you. Seven years later, that is quite reasonable.

The companies that make the meds (except for Barr, makers of Adderall) generally have programs that will allow you to get your medications at a reduced cost. If your doc prescribes something other than Adderall, you will want to look into those programs. I believe that there is a thread stickied in the Meds forum that has contact information for several of them. If you have trouble finding it, feel free to PM me. I am pretty sure I have it bookmarked.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-09, 02:48 PM
Jr Member

momewrath is on a distinguished road

thanks to you both for your replies. i'm about to leave for my appointment. i'll post here when i get back with an update. thanks again
Old 02-20-09, 07:15 PM
ADDvanced Member

samtux will become famous soon enough

Write a list of all your symptoms in all areas of your life that they effect you list as much as you can ! also anything you read ie research that you think applies to you to back up your point.

This seemed to make my doc listen to me.

Sam
Old 07-06-09, 11:05 PM

Apple is on a distinguished road

Hey, I was on Adderall then Zoloft. Probably spelled both wrong. Anyway, don't expect these pills to solve all your problems. I thought cool, I know what I have and now that I am on this pill everything will be fine. When I thought I didn't need them anymore, I tried stopping. Then the Saratonin started firing again. It felt like electrical shocks in my brain. Less then a year ago I started going to a Chiropractor. He had this video on about depression. This women in the video was taking as much Niacin as she needed to keep her depression at bay. There is only one side effect that I know of. Your skin will get flush and feel hot but it will subside. I taken 3000 mg a day, not all at once. The women in the video was up over 10,000 mg a day. I am doing fine without the other chemicals our medical system is pushing these days. I still need to deal with the AADD but until I decide to help myself I guess I can't expect a miracle.

Last edited by Apple; 07-06-09 at 11:08 PM.. Reason: Just added "not all at once" just to clarify
Old 07-07-09, 01:05 PM

JCJ79 will become famous soon enough

Any word?