ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 08-13-10, 01:59 PM

Drizzy is on a distinguished road
My psychiatrist accused me of selling my pills. I'm REALLY upset, can I do anything?

Sorry if this is long, but I am very frustrated and upset. I have no idea what to do.

My info

1) I've had ADD forever, but just got diagnosed about 2 months ago
2) This is the one and only Dr. that has given me medication for it, and gave it to me a week after my first visit
3) I am a 21 yr old male

Just some quick info of what she has prescribed. The first visit I told her I had ADD and spent 30 minutes or so talking about all of my symptoms. She isn't actually the doctor, I guess she is his assistant or something like that. I made the appointment to see the Psychiatrist, but I saw him 1 time the first appt. for 3 minutes at the end. I have seen her for every appt. after that so I guess she covers all of his appts I have no idea

She first prescribed 20 caps of Adderall XR 10mg, a week later she prescribes 150 tabs of the IR version(10mg) because I could not sleep with the XR's. She told me to experiment and find a dose that works best for me. About a week after that, I go back and tell her that 25mgs works best and she prescribes me thirty tabs IR 30mg strength. These work alright but if I don't take them by 1pm, there is no chance of sleep until 4am the next morning. They only last 4 hours tops(with helping focus and concentration), leaving me with 6 hours of "down time" where I am not covered and I am very irritable not able to do anything productive. For some reason, they keep me awake way after they stop working. I researched A LOT since I was prescribed Adderall, so I am well educated in the different types of medications, brands, generics etc. I read up on the brand name Shire Adderall XR and how most ppl were more satisfied with it compared to the generic XR. So 2 weeks later I go back for my check up and tell her about the above situation. I ask to try the XR's one more time thinking that if I take it at 7am, it should last all day and I wouldn't have to redose in the afternoon and be kept awake. I also opted for the XR version because I knew it would decrease my dosage(Thats always healthier right?) She agrees and says "No problem!" and prescribes me 30 caps of the Shire Adderall XR 30mgs AS WELL AS 30 tabs of the IR generic(30mg) to use as a booster. Well, these didn't work out either. They were the worst actually. I was awake for 3 whole days and started to experience auditory hallucinations and bright flashes of light at random times. Needless to say I quit taking them immediately after this happened and made an appointment, which leads us to today. In total, she has prescribed me 5 seperate bottles of Adderall in the 4-5 weeks that I have seen her. 2 Xr's (1 generic, 1 brand), and 3 bottles of IR (One 10mg and two 30mg).

I love the way Adderall works because I can be productive and think straight and clear for once in my lifetime. The motivation factor is a HUGE help for me, I an useless w/o it. I am only 20 (turning 21 next week), but my life was in shambles since I graduated high school. I went to college and made a strong effort to be successful, but ended up with a low low GPA and money wasted. I couldn't concentrate, focus, or retain information for anything. I dropped out and I have been at home for 6 months not doing anything. Since I started the Adderall, I have become very productive, more open minded, proactive and happy with how things were turning out. My parents even noticed the change and are happier now as well. The only problem with the Adderall is the sleep issues and the spotty-ness of how it works. Some days it works great, other days I can't even feel it(not quite as common but still an issue). I have experimented with how I take it, when I take it, with food or not...everything. I made an honest attempt, but the non desirable effects are becoming too much to handle ESPECIALLY when school starts in 2 weeks.

I read about the different medications like Dexedrine, Ritalin, Concerta, Vyvanse, Strattera etc. I researched many peoples experience with each one. The Dexedrine, for the most part, lacks the "motivation factor" that Adderall has(believed to be caused by the missing levo-amphetamine). Methylphenidate is primarily used for ADHD hyperactive kids. I am not hyperactive at all, I am the inattentive type and read many experiences saying that it does nothing to help Inattentive type ADDers. Strattera, for the most part, has very spotty results, most people do not respond to it as it is not a stimulant. Vyvanse is just an pro-drug, XR version dextroamphetamine so it would yield generally the same results as Dexedrine.

If you are wondering why I am being picky, it is because I only want to try what has had the best results for other ppl like myself (you guys). There is no point in trying everything else first if they have less than satisfactory results(conclusion drawn from reading 100's of experiences). I have been researching Desoxyn for a while now. I have found that MOST people who have switched from another ADD med to Desoxyn have found it to be superior to all others. There are virtually no side effects, smooth ride, low dosages, fast onset, "natural" feeling focus(not forced like Adderall), long lasting, AND you can sleep on it(for those that had trouble sleeping using other ADD meds). I even read about 2 different people who have used it for 40 yrs with no nuerotoxicity or side effects. I understand the huge stigma surrounding it, and I realized it was a long shot. Most people think OMG its legal METH!!! It is methamphetamine but it is nothing like the dope on the street made from drano and kitchen cleaning chemicals and sudafed. But most people still make the association between the two and refuse to realize the difference

It should be known that I NEVER abused any of these meds and I only tried to help my ADD because it was ruining my life. I always took it as she prescribed.

I go into the office today for my appointment and tell her about everything I have experienced with the Adderall XR and my problems with the IR as well. I give her a quick overview about all of my research I have done in regards to dextroamphetamine and methylphenidate. She seemed to be confused that it isn't working, and didn't know what to do (look on her face and the awkward silence). I decide to take the initiative and ask her what she knows about Desoxyn. She said she has never heard of it and says "lets look it up". She freaking googles desoxyn and the look on her face is like sheer terror. I knew right there that she was having a typical, mis-informed and judgmental view on it. She was "No, ITS METHAMPHETAMINE!" like 3 times in a row, but she didn't even know anything about it, or how it was used in the treatment of ADD. This was very frustrating to watch because of all the research and studies that have been done on it, and how uninformed and impulsive she was, just because it is methamphetamine. She was viewing it like it was crystal and that people get tweaked out from it. I asked her why but not with an attitude or anything, I just wanted a reason bc I couldn't believe she was reacting this way to something she had never heard of. She refused do tell me and just kept saying "No". She was absolutely against it and said that she would not prescribe it. I was half-way expecting this, but felt an increasingly anxious feeling of "what do I do now?''. I asked her that and she said all we could do was the ritalin or strattera. I knew both had crappy results, strattera more than the ritalin so I was very hesitant about trying either. I felt I had no choice and she wrote the script for Ritalin LA.

As she was writing this she said "You know, its like what are you doing with these pills? Are you selling them, whats going on?" I was very offended because I had ALWAYS been straight up with her. I said "You think I am selling them?" and she just shrugged her shoulders with an accusing "I don't know". She said "You will have to take all your pills back to the pharmacy if you want to try anything else". I couldn't believe she was saying this stuff. I never gave her any reason to think I was abusing/selling them and SHE was the one who prescribed me 260 Adderall pills in the last 4 1/2 weeks. At this point, I didn't know what to do. I knew you didn't have to take back the pills to the pharmacy, and that she had no clue wtf she was saying. I told her I have more than 100 pills left, do you want me to bring them up here and SHOW you? She said "Nobody will prescribe that(desoxyn) to you, its not possible". I asked her "then I wonder how the 1000's of ppl that are on it and have a prescription for it get it?" This was said in a sarcastic tone because at this point I knew she was full of it and had NO clue. She said "you can find another doctor" and I walked out.

How do people SO misinformed and ignorant get the job of talking to patients and prescribing them meds. She isn't even a doctor and this isn't a small private clinic. This is at the biggest/best hospital in Dallas, Texas.

Is there anything I can do? Maybe report her? I feel so frustrated now because school is starting next week and I can only cont. whats left of the Adderall before ITS gone and I will be left with nothing. I can't go back to how I was before. I felt so bright and optimistic about my future while taking Adderall. I was compelled to do good in school. I can't go back to the way it was. I am currently looking for a new psychiatrist thats maybe more informed and open minded.

I do NOT want to take any sleep meds or anti anxiety meds due to the fact that I am trying to stay as natural as possible while still treating my ADD effectively
The Following User Says Thank You to Drizzy For This Useful Post:
lomipo (08-14-10)
Old 08-13-10, 02:50 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My psychiatrist accused me of selling my pills. I'm REALLY upset, can I do anythi

As I've said in other threads, a lot of doctors aren't comfortable prescribing stimulants at all, and asking for Desoxyn is kind of a long shot. I'm not even sure the pharmacy where I work stocks it. A lot of doctors just aren't comfortable prescribing medications with a large potential for abuse. Sorry about your luck. =\
Old 08-13-10, 03:14 PM

Drizzy is on a distinguished road
Re: My psychiatrist accused me of selling my pills. I'm REALLY upset, can I do anythi

My main reason I am upset is that she accused me of selling my pills OUT OF NOWHERE! I am trying to get help and find something that works for me, and until today, she didn't have a problem writing scripts for me. She is the one who gave me 260 pills that I didn't even ask for. Thats the point of trying medication, right? Aren't you SUPPOSED to try different ones when the other doesn't work? She treated me like I was a drug dealer that uses his prescriptions to make money. Its very offensive and there should be something that I can do about it.

It wasn't really about the Desoxyn. I'm not upset that I didn't get it. I'm perplexed by the fact that she had no knowledge of it yet she was so adamantly against it bc of its name. She couldn't even explain why when I asked her. She had NO clue and she started spouting off bs like "You have to take your pills back to the pharmacy" and crap when I KNOW they don't do that. All in all, she is crazy and she doesn't deserve to be treating patients due to her lack of intelligence in the field and ignorance in life. If anyone is in the Dallas area looking for a psychiatrist, PM me and I will tell you who NOT to go to.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-10, 03:49 PM
Contributor

mechnik has disabled reputation

I mentioned similar points to my psychiatric nurse and she was very skeptical about prescribing dexedrine or desoxyn. She works with adderall or vyvanse and does not see much use for other stimulants.
She has a point, all stimulants are very similar. I always look for the "magic bullet" that will solve all my problems, even though I know there is no such beast.

Talk to your provider again, tell her about your concern regarding her negative reaction, hear what she says and be cool about it.

In my case, the nurse is great, definitely NOT ignorant, very bright, only works with adults, her husband is a well-regarded psychiatrist, etc ...
Each time I saw her (twice since diagnosis) I did not take what she prescribed and was extremely hyper. It's all very new and exciting to me and I was going 100 miles a minute about things I learned. I saw her getting uncomfortable listening to me but could not stop trying to explain myself, going off tangents all the time, getting deeper and deeper who knows where. She was staring at me trying to figure out what in the world was going on. The truth is there are patients misusing all sorts of pills. She asked me to take my pills next time I see her.
By the way, if anyone knows about any studies/articles about effectiveness of desoxyn please let me know, the nurse said she would like to see them.
Also, I checked prices and generic dexedrine and desoxyn are many times more expensive than generic adderall, not sure why.

Good luck.
Old 08-13-10, 03:58 PM
Contributor

quirkyscrawler will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzy View Post
Sorry if this is long, but I am very frustrated and upset. I have no idea what to do.

My info

2) This is the one and only Dr. that has given me medication for it, and gave it to me a week after my first visit
3) I am a 21 yr old male

Just some quick info of what she has prescribed. The first visit I told her I had ADD and spent 30 minutes or so talking about all of my symptoms. She isn't actually the doctor, I guess she is his assistant or something like that. I made the appointment to see the Psychiatrist, but I saw him 1 time the first appt. for 3 minutes at the end. I have seen her for every appt. after that so I guess she covers all of his appts I have no idea

She first prescribed 20 caps of Adderall XR 10mg, a week later she prescribes 150 tabs of the IR version(10mg) because I could not sleep with the XR's. She told me to experiment and find a dose that works best for me. About a week after that, I go back and tell her that 25mgs works best and she prescribes me thirty tabs IR 30mg strength. These work alright but if I don't take them by 1pm, there is no chance of sleep until 4am the next morning. They only last 4 hours tops(with helping focus and concentration), leaving me with 6 hours of "down time" where I am not covered and I am very irritable not able to do anything productive. For some reason, they keep me awake way after they stop working. I researched A LOT since I was prescribed Adderall, so I am well educated in the different types of medications, brands, generics etc. I read up on the brand name Shire Adderall XR and how most ppl were more satisfied with it compared to the generic XR. So 2 weeks later I go back for my check up and tell her about the above situation. I ask to try the XR's one more time thinking that if I take it at 7am, it should last all day and I wouldn't have to redose in the afternoon and be kept awake. I also opted for the XR version because I knew it would decrease my dosage(Thats always healthier right?) She agrees and says "No problem!" and prescribes me 30 caps of the Shire Adderall XR 30mgs AS WELL AS 30 tabs of the IR generic(30mg) to use as a booster. Well, these didn't work out either. They were the worst actually. I was awake for 3 whole days and started to experience auditory hallucinations and bright flashes of light at random times. Needless to say I quit taking them immediately after this happened and made an appointment, which leads us to today. In total, she has prescribed me 5 seperate bottles of Adderall in the 4-5 weeks that I have seen her. 2 Xr's (1 generic, 1 brand), and 3 bottles of IR (One 10mg and two 30mg).

I love the way Adderall works because I can be productive and think straight and clear for once in my lifetime. The motivation factor is a HUGE help for me, I an useless w/o it. I am only 20 (turning 21 next week), but my life was in shambles since I graduated high school. I went to college and made a strong effort to be successful, but ended up with a low low GPA and money wasted. I couldn't concentrate, focus, or retain information for anything. I dropped out and I have been at home for 6 months not doing anything. Since I started the Adderall, I have become very productive, more open minded, proactive and happy with how things were turning out. My parents even noticed the change and are happier now as well. The only problem with the Adderall is the sleep issues and the spotty-ness of how it works. Some days it works great, other days I can't even feel it(not quite as common but still an issue). I have experimented with how I take it, when I take it, with food or not...everything. I made an honest attempt, but the non desirable effects are becoming too much to handle ESPECIALLY when school starts in 2 weeks.

I read about the different medications like Dexedrine, Ritalin, Concerta, Vyvanse, Strattera etc. I researched many peoples experience with each one. The Dexedrine, for the most part, lacks the "motivation factor" that Adderall has(believed to be caused by the missing levo-amphetamine). Methylphenidate is primarily used for ADHD hyperactive kids. I am not hyperactive at all, I am the inattentive type and read many experiences saying that it does nothing to help Inattentive type ADDers. Strattera, for the most part, has very spotty results, most people do not respond to it as it is not a stimulant. Vyvanse is just an pro-drug, XR version dextroamphetamine so it would yield generally the same results as Dexedrine.

If you are wondering why I am being picky, it is because I only want to try what has had the best results for other ppl like myself (you guys). There is no point in trying everything else first if they have less than satisfactory results(conclusion drawn from reading 100's of experiences). I have been researching Desoxyn for a while now. I have found that MOST people who have switched from another ADD med to Desoxyn have found it to be superior to all others. There are virtually no side effects, smooth ride, low dosages, fast onset, "natural" feeling focus(not forced like Adderall), long lasting, AND you can sleep on it(for those that had trouble sleeping using other ADD meds). I even read about 2 different people who have used it for 40 yrs with no nuerotoxicity or side effects. I understand the huge stigma surrounding it, and I realized it was a long shot. Most people think OMG its legal METH!!! It is methamphetamine but it is nothing like the dope on the street made from drano and kitchen cleaning chemicals and sudafed. But most people still make the association between the two and refuse to realize the difference

It should be known that I NEVER abused any of these meds and I only tried to help my ADD because it was ruining my life. I always took it as she prescribed.

I go into the office today for my appointment and tell her about everything I have experienced with the Adderall XR and my problems with the IR as well. I give her a quick overview about all of my research I have done in regards to dextroamphetamine and methylphenidate. She seemed to be confused that it isn't working, and didn't know what to do (look on her face and the awkward silence). I decide to take the initiative and ask her what she knows about Desoxyn. She said she has never heard of it and says "lets look it up". She freaking googles desoxyn and the look on her face is like sheer terror. I knew right there that she was having a typical, mis-informed and judgmental view on it. She was "No, ITS METHAMPHETAMINE!" like 3 times in a row, but she didn't even know anything about it, or how it was used in the treatment of ADD. This was very frustrating to watch because of all the research and studies that have been done on it, and how uninformed and impulsive she was, just because it is methamphetamine. She was viewing it like it was crystal and that people get tweaked out from it. I asked her why but not with an attitude or anything, I just wanted a reason bc I couldn't believe she was reacting this way to something she had never heard of. She refused do tell me and just kept saying "No". She was absolutely against it and said that she would not prescribe it. I was half-way expecting this, but felt an increasingly anxious feeling of "what do I do now?''. I asked her that and she said all we could do was the ritalin or strattera. I knew both had crappy results, strattera more than the ritalin so I was very hesitant about trying either. I felt I had no choice and she wrote the script for Ritalin LA.

As she was writing this she said "You know, its like what are you doing with these pills? Are you selling them, whats going on?" I was very offended because I had ALWAYS been straight up with her. I said "You think I am selling them?" and she just shrugged her shoulders with an accusing "I don't know". She said "You will have to take all your pills back to the pharmacy if you want to try anything else". I couldn't believe she was saying this stuff. I never gave her any reason to think I was abusing/selling them and SHE was the one who prescribed me 260 Adderall pills in the last 4 1/2 weeks. At this point, I didn't know what to do. I knew you didn't have to take back the pills to the pharmacy, and that she had no clue wtf she was saying. I told her I have more than 100 pills left, do you want me to bring them up here and SHOW you? She said "Nobody will prescribe that(desoxyn) to you, its not possible". I asked her "then I wonder how the 1000's of ppl that are on it and have a prescription for it get it?" This was said in a sarcastic tone because at this point I knew she was full of it and had NO clue. She said "you can find another doctor" and I walked out.

How do people SO misinformed and ignorant get the job of talking to patients and prescribing them meds. She isn't even a doctor and this isn't a small private clinic. This is at the biggest/best hospital in Dallas, Texas.

Is there anything I can do? Maybe report her? I feel so frustrated now because school is starting next week and I can only cont. whats left of the Adderall before ITS gone and I will be left with nothing. I can't go back to how I was before. I felt so bright and optimistic about my future while taking Adderall. I was compelled to do good in school. I can't go back to the way it was. I am currently looking for a new psychiatrist thats maybe more informed and open minded.

I do NOT want to take any sleep meds or anti anxiety meds due to the fact that I am trying to stay as natural as possible while still treating my ADD effectively
Wow, I am so sorry to hear that you had to go through this. Unfortunately, the pill-selling thing is a problem and that's why they are wary, but it's not fair to the people who aren't doing it, and actually need the medication!!!

If your meds don't seem to be working enough, I wonder if you might benefit from some kind of therapy (to supplement the meds) that is not med-related. Like Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, so that you can learn to adjust your work/lifestyle habits in such a way so that the meds are working at their optimal level...or at least better. Unfortunately, the meds aren't perfect. Or maybe just talking to someone about all of this will help.
The Following User Says Thank You to quirkyscrawler For This Useful Post:
mechnik (08-13-10)
Old 08-13-10, 04:17 PM
ADDvanced Member

JenSMP has a spectacular aura aboutJenSMP has a spectacular aura about

My son was diagnosed with ADHD about 8 months ago. We have a veritable pharmacy of our own here at our house we've tried so many medications and different doses of each! It's what you go through when you are first trying to find the right med and dosage to treat your particular symptoms.

Unfortunately, when it comes to ADHD it seems that no two people respond exactly the same with any given medication. Knowing that, I'd recommend that if the "doctor" thinks you should try Ritalin, give it a shot. Some people who don't do well on Adderall do better on Ritalin or Ritalin based meds.

I admit I know nothing about the med you are referring to, but personally if I were in your particular situation, I'd make an appointment to meet with the actual doctor asap to let him know what happened. Stimulants can be controversial, but I'd think a psychiatrist who's treating you specifically for ADHD wouldn't be touchy about it. It sounds like they were more than willing to try multiple meds and doses with you, so that's good as it's often necessary at the beginning until you find what you need. Some doctors don't respond too well when we do our internet "research" and make our own recommendations. I like to be an informed patient though for my own benefit b/c I don't always trust doctors, but that's just me (and I'm digressing).

Some docs prefer to be the ones making the decisions about what you should try. Some welcome your input. I know it really sucks that she accused you of selling your medications, but keep in mind that many people do abuse stimulants and they have to be very careful. They have the liability and responsibility of monitoring their patients for potential abuse.

I think her behavior was appalling, however, and I'd be in to see the real doc immediately (and I'd take all my leftover pills with me). You don't have to give them the pills, just show them you still have them. Good luck, and don't get your heart set on one med. Just because it works for some doesn't mean it would work for you any more than any of the others.

If you made an appointment to see a psychiatrist, I don't think it's too much to ask to actually see the psychiatrist once in a while! Is she a nurse practitioner or what?

By the way, I have ADHD too, and Concerta works well for me. Vyvanse did not. My son had the same experience. Again, that's just our experience and it's so different for every person. I hope you find something that works for you. I did want to mention something my son's doctor said to me one day, "Remember, he is a child with ADHD. Even when he takes medication, he still a child with ADHD who takes medication. The meds will help with some of the symptoms, but he will not become a person without ADHD." Meds help A LOT but they are not a cure-all.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you and so sorry you had that bad experience.
The Following User Says Thank You to JenSMP For This Useful Post:
Drizzy (08-13-10)
Old 08-13-10, 04:32 PM

sauer_kraut is on a distinguished road

I am very sorry to hear that whole story. It is something I think almost everyone who takes Adderall fears at one point or another...the one prescriber that goes postal on them. I have been lucky to get decent prescribers who work with me and understand. I had a few months of shuffling around between prescribers since they were contracted and would leave. I now am with one who is hopefully not going anywhere any time soon. He is good and has not given me any issues and is very understanding of my higher than "normal" dose requirement (90mg IR a day) He listens to me when I talk about my meds and hears my response to his suggestions and works with it. This is what everyone should be treated as when regarding such medication (or any for that matter) Every time I switched prescribers I was fearful and nervous that they would have a problem with my current meds and say "no, I do not like that..do this instead" or someone suspicious all the time... What I am saying is that there ARE more doctors..ACTUAL doctors out there that will listen. You live in Dallas. Huge city. Sometimes you may find a smaller clinic or practice has more of what you need than someone that has an assistant write out and deal with your medication. This woman has no clue about anything and should not be pointing fingers and should do some reading... It makes me angry reading how her attitude was toward you. You are nothing but honest and get total BS back for it. I would seriously look into your options for another doctor or prescriber because of the time constraint you have and the meds left over. Nothing worse than running completely out of something even if it sucks.. its still something til you can get things right. Best luck to you.
Old 08-13-10, 05:24 PM

missescool_08 will become famous soon enough

You know, I am really sorry to hear that! I think sauer has it right...we're all scared of that happening. I *finally* went to the doctor yesterday because I realized it was even effecting the kind of mother I am, and I can't handle that. At 22, I took my own mother along, because I felt like that would help them believe me? How sad is that?? I get that people abuse these meds but honestly all kinds of meds are abused that doesn't mean everyone seeking them has a problem. I was scared to even ask for Adderall by name for fear the doctor would think I was some kind of criminal. He then gave it to me like it was nothing, just asked what I wanted like I asked for tic tacs so it's kind of weird I guess!

I have endometriosis (this is totally off topic) and tried to get treated and they told me they thought I needed to seek a mental health professional because they didn't want to treat my very REAL pain from a condition which was confirmed via ultrasound!. I told them I would never be at their office again, and I meant it!
Old 08-13-10, 05:58 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Naussicaa has a spectacular aura aboutNaussicaa has a spectacular aura about

You my friend, handled that situation very badly.

You went from asking for Adderall, a basic drug that works for mostly everyone, to Desoxyn, a drug that few hear of, and is made of meth. You can't just go in and ask for it by the drug name. I'm not surprised by her reaction at all. You may not be a bad guy, but you just asked in relative terms "Can you raise my pay by 20 bucks please?"

Report her? No man, if anything she will report you for drug seeking behavior. You were offered those weaker stimulants because she has good reason to suspect that you are are getting the highest value drug and selling that off.

Looking at this from an outsider's perspective:

She wasn't the ignorant one, you were basically asking for meth and if you asked any doctor that, they wouldn't have a very good reaction either, would they? How would you feel if a patient asked you for meth?

I'm not trying to be an *******, but you can't do that, seriously.
Old 08-13-10, 06:13 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Naussicaa has a spectacular aura aboutNaussicaa has a spectacular aura about

Forgot to say something:
You would be best off asking for a sampler of all the different medications. Our experiences doesn't equal yours. Try Ritalin. Try Orap. Try Concerta. Try Focalin. Try Wellbutrin. Try Dexedrine. Hell even try out Strattera if those don't work.

In relative terms:
You are a pizza delivery boy. You can't be hired to the manager that quickly. Desoxyn only works well for those people who have resistant ADD, which you certainly don't have. In fact I think with tolerance, your symptoms will go away.

I was in the same situation as you. I have Dexedrine ER and Adderall IR. The reason I switched was because I stopped eating, and already at a measly 120lb, I couldn't lose any more weight. It works for me, doesn't mean it will work for you, but there are many more options than just asking for pharmaceutical grade meth.
Old 08-13-10, 07:06 PM

missescool_08 will become famous soon enough

Naussicaa,

I think you bring up a good point also. You've only been diagnosed with ADHD for 2 months (I am new to that too!) going in and asking point blank about desoxyn was probably a huge red flag for them, even if you aren't abusing these, ya know?

Think about it like this, I recently broke my big toe, lets say I went to my dr was told to take Tylenol or Advil. I take this and it really isn't helping the pain, I just can't stand it! So I make another appointment and go back in and ask for a morphine drip...I'm pretty sure a doctor would FREAK OUT and jump to the conclusion that I had a drug problem. It's not that I asked for something stronger than Tylenol to take the edge off, I went from something small (Advil/Tylenol) to asking for a very strong drug.

I'm new to this too as I said, BUT, I think you might want to consider giving this more time. You have a lot more options than you've tried. Just because others don't like Ritalin doesn't mean it won't be the answer to your prayers, everyone's body chemistry is different. You've been functioning (at least somewhat) without meds for 20+ years, so to suddenly jump to such a controversial drug probably raised some alerts.

I would NOT report her as pp said, you do NOT want a drug seeking patient (DSP) put on your chart, you will be screwing yourself for LIFE! It sounds like she was reasonable to begin with and tried to let you try various things....maybe she was having a ****ty day, we're all human.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to missescool_08 For This Useful Post:
kts815 (08-19-10), Naussicaa (08-13-10)
Old 08-13-10, 11:06 PM
Contributor

novaprospekt will become famous soon enough

Sorry to hear about your situation. This is something that I feel like happens more often than you think however.

I'm not really a fan of the idea of methamphetamine being used for ADD or other legitimate medical issues due simply to the fact that there is substantial evidence of neurotoxicity caused by prolonged use of it (similar to how cocaine burns out dopaminergic neurons in the brain). Plus, if regular amphetamine is causing sleep problems for you, then methamphetamine will almost surely cause the same if not worse problems of insomnia.

Whether or not my concerns are justified, I think there is definitely a huge stigma attached to that chemical simply due to all the street abuse of it and understandably doctors are extremely reluctant to prescribe such a high abuse potential drug.

To make matters worse, in your situation you are the same age as me 21. You said you aren't in college anymore, but generally that age is considered to be the "college kid age" and I don't know a doctor in their right mind who would give prescription meth to a college-aged student. I think it was a bad move on your part asking for Desoxyn in summary. Adderall is a great medication and I consider it the best of the ADHD meds but everybody has a different preference.

As for the false accusations, that is something I agree with you with. If I was in that position I would've posted a **** fit with the psych and if you've ever seen "The Departed" do what Leo DiCaprio's character did and tell her off and find a different psych if she refuses to trust you and maintain the honest environment in which you're confiding personal problems.

Good Luck though, sounds like a real icky situation to be in.
I am not a doctor. I am a 21yo college student studying biochemistry and pre-medicine. I have extensive interest in pharmacology, particularly in the fields of mental disorders. I hope my advice is helpful but always discuss problems or changes to medications with your doctor first!
Old 08-13-10, 11:26 PM

Thanked 10,525 Times in 5,692 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know what to think but sometimes my psyche nurse looks stuff up in the dsm manual and it kind of bothers me.I mean your suppose to know this stuff,kind of amateurish is ya ask me.Alot of drs I believe get a kick back an vacations an stuff for pushing certain drugs.I'd go to a lawyer or to the board an report her for over prescribing meds if she reports you,I really see some of these so called drs are crackpots who probably need help emselves.1 of my last pyches went on a tirade tangent after I told him I didnt feel safe taking valium to sleep.he was yelling and acting crazy and I was 2 seconds from walking out.I looked at him like dude your crazy he actually calmed down quick and apologized an was frustrated causing I wasnt listening to him an taking my meds.Point is Im in control not you,so by all means go to another dr and seek a second opinion.you could state what you told the other dr and tell them you didnt feel the other meds help could you at least try the desoxyn on a trial basis so it dont look like your abusing it.I couldnt read your whole thread it was 2 long but I skimmed it and got the gist of the convo.
Old 08-14-10, 12:24 AM

Thanked 8,347 Times in 3,313 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute

there is at least one advantage to being 60, I don't get accused of selling my meds....hee hee...., just try and take them away from me !.....draw back a bloody stump ....

and I don't know where someone looked up the price of Dex, IR, I get 270 10mm pills for $111, which i think is pretty good....( Walgreens, and have that med progam you pay $20 a year to join, as I have no insurance.....)

and no insurance is one of the best reasons to get Dex, the generic IR, it is about the only affordable one around ....all the new stuff is out of the question for me ....

but it took a long time to put together the right doctor....oh yah like I didn't just fall into itn , which I did, but that's after trying to find a doctor for years after one of mine died then the next one retired.....

moving to a new area is a b****, finding a doctor who you can trust and who trusts you is not easy, and I still feel guilty about taking meds...probably always will......it's that stupid society thinks you're awful for taking it .....no matter how many times I tell myself it's ok, my sub-concious will creep in there and poke me about it .....

....This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic lane"
Terry Pratchett

....If you're going through hell, ......keep going.....
Old 08-14-10, 01:21 AM
ADDvanced Member

lomipo is just really nicelomipo is just really nicelomipo is just really nicelomipo is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzy View Post

My info

3) I am a 21 yr old male

sure, there's a lot you can do:
1. request the full record of your treatment (don't say why, just demand it).

2. Afterwards take action based on evidence you may have.

This should be easy enough because it's in a hospital. it would be a mistake to 'report' her. there are better ways to achieve it.