ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-18, 10:17 AM

JaredSD is on a distinguished road
New member, really having some issues, could really use your help! Brain is foggy..

Hello community! I am new here and just taking the steps to figure out what the hell is going on with me. I will do my best to give some back story on myself and what is going on now.

Growing up in life I took Ritalin for a couple years for ADD purposes and I really don't remember if it worked or not. I was always in my own world and couldn't have cared less about school. However, I will always pay attention to things I truly wanted to do. I had terrible grades in high school, went to an Aviation Mechanic school and did terrible there as well, which is good for the general public haha! Fast forward many years I grew up, got my undergrad and MBA at a very decent state school. I made many Dean's and President's lists as well. It wasn't easy, but I got by.

I am now 39 years old, have a very good job, but I still have some issues going on. I will be a little random here with info, but you should be used to this perhaps. It's hard for me (male) to hold down a serious relationship as I suffer from the "shiny new penny" syndrome. However, I have tons of friends and am close with my family. My brain is foggy every day when I wake up, but I get out of it in the afternoons and certainly wake up at night; I am certainly a night owl. This could be a result of Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome? I use a happy light in the AM, and force myself to workout in the AM sometimes, but nothing really seems to cure it. My eyes feel heavy and foggy in the AM but not at night. It's hard for me to focus on tasks and it takes me several attempts to digest information sometimes. I can be a terrible listener as well (see relationships above haha). I am always late to work, and have been for years, but thankfully my boss understands this now. I feel like an idiot trying to explain I just can't get my crap together in the AM. I do feel behind in my role and career sometimes, and that others understand things better than me. I eventually get it, but it takes a bit sometimes.

I totally have issues making decisions sometimes. If I am going to buy a pair of shorts and there are 12 colors, good luck. I have about 20 tabs open now as well. I am convinced I need them all haha.

I eat pretty healthy, exercise regularly, and I feel sharp in the PM. I'm in physically good shape. I am a smart person, but I never feel like it in the AM. I have done artwork for years, and can easily do that as I love doing it. No attention problems there or doing something like watching a movie/playing a game. Typical, I can hyper focus on things I really want to that interest me. I am a funny person, a likable person, and I make and hold friendships very easily. I am very financially responsible, except for the random impulse purchase which is normal. I highly over-analyze purchases to make sure I don't have buyer's remorse.

I have used to Adderall XR in the past few years, and while it did work, I wasn't a fan of not being able to sleep at a decent time at night. I have had the regular version from a friend and that was nice. I just wonder, for those of you that use the regular version, can you take it and "turn it on" during the day and then "turn it off" at night by not taking it past a certain point in the day? I just want to survive the freaking work day.

Some of stuff above may be irrelevant, and random for sure, but I at least wanted to paint a decent picture of myself. I feel like I have been drowning lately, and it is not very fun. To summarize above, my brain feels foggy and I have issues paying attention during the day. No, I have not seen anyone for this yet but I want to. It has been hard to get the nerves up to do that.

Have any of you experienced the above things, and if so, what works for you?

Have you experienced DSPS? Is that what causes the brain fog?

Anything else? Feel free to chime in with whatever you have. All points of view are welcome.

Thank you all for any feedback!
Old 04-03-18, 01:44 PM

Re: New member, really having some issues, could really use your help! Brain is foggy

A few other points I forgot to make...

I am laid back
I am not hyper
I drink coffee every other day or so
Old 04-04-18, 11:17 AM

Ronelh has disabled reputation
Re: New member, really having some issues, could really use your help! Brain is foggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredSD View Post
I totally have issues making decisions sometimes. If I am going to buy a pair of shorts and there are 12 colors, good luck. I have about 20 tabs open now as well. I am convinced I need them all haha.

...I highly over-analyze purchases to make sure I don't have buyer's remorse.
Yeah, I do that too. It's one reason I don't like shopping with other people, because I'm so indecisive I drive them nuts. Actually, it's one reason I don't like shopping at all. Usually I deal with it by narrowing it down to my top choices and then just gritting my teeth and picking one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredSD View Post
Have you experienced DSPS? Is that what causes the brain fog?
I have not suffered from DSPS, though I gather that many ADDers do. Instead, I suffer from the opposite problem, ASPS (Advanced Sleep Phase Syndrome), where you get sleepy very early and wake up very early. Not such a bad problem most of the time, but it was annoying in college, because I wanted to go to bed at 9pm and wake up at 5am, but that schedule just doesn't work if you want to participate in most college activities. But when I did participate in later-night events, I would be tired and foggy, kinda like you say you are in the morning.

Since graduating and moving overseas, it actually got worse. For a while there, I was waking up at 3:30 every morning. I have done better by disciplining myself to regular bed/wakeup times, and not turning on any electronic devices too early, except to play soothing music or podcasts to try to go back to sleep.

Can I recommend a book to you? I appreciated the book Lifting the Fog by Michael Carr. It's quite short and easy to read. It's about the inattentive type ADHD, and you said you aren't hyper, so perhaps you would find it interesting/helpful. It's the only book I've found so far that is exclusively for inattentive type (though other books do mention it). It really describes my own experience perfectly, while descriptions of hyperactive/impulsive don't sound that much like my experience.
Old 04-04-18, 01:20 PM
ADDvanced Member

Funky1 is a jewel in the roughFunky1 is a jewel in the roughFunky1 is a jewel in the rough

I can totally relate to your problems with relationships, I've never actually heard the term shiny penny syndrome, but that nails it right on the head for me LOL. Don't really know what advice to give you on that front, so far for me the only thing that has seemed to work is finding a partner who feels the same way as I do, and so far we have been dating successfully for about 6 months now with the understanding that we are not committed to each other and we are not actually in a relationship, there by releasing all of the traditional relationship ties that usually scare me away. I'm not seeing anybody else, as far as I know she isn't seeing anybody else, and we really enjoy each other's time, but the labels and the expectations that come with a true relationship have been removed, and it definitely helps me personally with most of the issues I've had in the past.

I am also a night owl, have a hell of a time getting up early, but once the sun goes down I feel like I get a burst of energy and want to go out and do anything at all besides go to bed on time. I wish I had advice to give you on that one, but I'm still trying to figure that part out.

I think you're on the right path, you're definitely willing to research things and learn more about your condition, which I think in the end is the best way for us to find some form of treatment. ADD manifests itself a little bit differently in each and every person, so knowledge and experience go a long way in figuring out how to manage our lives. It seems like you're already pretty good with the healthy living part and as far as job issues go, from what I found the best thing to do is to find something that suits you personally. Once you find a career that keeps you stimulated and interested, it becomes much easier to deal with the day-to-day challenges presented by a career.

Welcome to the community! This place really can be very useful, I found the personal experiences definitely help me out a lot when added to or compared to professional studies and I like. I hope this community offers the similar level of comfort and assistance to you as it has for myself and many others.
Old 04-04-18, 08:46 PM

Thanks so much to both of you. Taking the time to just write something back is huge. I would certainly agree with the interest thing for a career. That is tough in itself! My hobbies would be my career in a perfect world haha! Hmm, maybe there is blend/happy medium there somewhere.