ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-18, 04:06 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 13,711 Times in 6,797 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute
Do you feel dismissed because you can seem so normal?

Do you ever feel like people dismiss your struggles and your need for help because you seem so normal?
It's like the outside world sees the good side of you, and you seem SO capable and SO enthusiastic for life. So they view you as a normal, healthy person more than capable of doing what needs doing without any assistance.
They don't see the side of you that struggles. And even after explaining to them your difficulties, they still seem to dismiss you because they just don't see the other side of things.

I'm going through this right now with some professionals I'm working with...and I'm just wondering if anyone else experiences anything like this.

((((((((((((((MOM))))))))))))))
I'll always fondly remember.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
allesandro1 (04-16-18), DeClutter (04-16-18), Fuzzy12 (04-12-18), Greyhound1 (04-12-18), Kaia.S (04-13-18), kwalk (04-15-18), Lunacie (04-12-18), madmax988 (04-16-18), namazu (04-12-18), PoppnNSailinMan (04-13-18), stef (04-12-18), ToneTone (04-13-18)
Old 04-12-18, 04:30 PM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,729 Times in 12,986 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you feel dismissed because you can seem so normal?

YES, every single day.
And there are a couple of things I can do very well at work so people just think i'm a little spacey or whatever but no, I can't process Voices Giving Instructions and sometimes I can't even see right in front of me, the static in my head is so bad.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
DeClutter (04-16-18), Kaia.S (04-13-18), kwalk (04-15-18), Lunacie (04-12-18), PoppnNSailinMan (04-13-18), psychopathetic (04-12-18)
Old 04-12-18, 04:58 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 21,435 Times in 12,633 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

yes and nobody sees my struggles because nobody wants to see.
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
kwalk (04-15-18), Lunacie (04-12-18), madmax988 (04-16-18), psychopathetic (04-12-18), stef (04-12-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-18, 06:36 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,007 Times in 11,616 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

When we try to explain, others say "But I do that too."

They can't seem to understand the difference between locking your keys in the
car once a year and locking the keys in the car once a month along with your
cell phone and purse/wallet.

The more I've had to rely on walking with canes, using a walker, and using an
electric cart for shopping, the more I see people being kind, rushing to help me.
But the adhd / autism / bipolar / etc. is invisible and no one thinks about what
they can do to help us.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
DeClutter (04-16-18), kwalk (04-15-18), psychopathetic (04-12-18), stef (04-12-18)
Old 04-12-18, 07:54 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 13,930 Times in 6,681 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

I don’t feel recognition or dismissed. Almost everyone, I meet and work with have their own problems or issues and could care less about mine. I don’t share my struggles with them because most really don’t want to hear it.

I work extra hard to hide my struggles with ADHD at work. In the past it has only gotten me judged and questioned by owner of the company.

He asked me how it was going to effect my performance at work when he heard I had been diagnosed. I happily told him, I was born with it, had it when he hired me and the whole time I’ve worked there. My performance had never been questioned before and I have an outstanding track record. Treatment has only made it better.

The good thing is what I lack in ability, I usually make up for with tenacity at work. I use many props to help me seem normal, proficient and super conscientious. Some are good things like notes everywhere, cheat sheets etc. and some are bad like obsessive thoughts and overly concerned.

I just try my best to fake it and make it though each day.

Last edited by Greyhound1; 04-15-18 at 04:56 PM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
kwalk (04-15-18), Little Missy (04-12-18), PoppnNSailinMan (04-13-18), psychopathetic (04-12-18), stef (04-12-18)
Old 04-12-18, 09:59 PM

Thanked 1,484 Times in 813 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

No, but that is only because nobody knows. Those of you that let people know are far emotionally healthier than I am.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (04-12-18), stef (04-12-18)
Old 04-12-18, 10:27 PM

Thanked 25,007 Times in 11,616 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by finallyfound10 View Post
No, but that is only because nobody knows. Those of you that let people know are far emotionally healthier than I am.
Long before I had a diagnosis, long before I even had an idea what the problem is,
I knew there was a problem. But others said I was being whiny, being a baby,
trying to manipulate them.

I tried to explain the struggle, to get someone to see it was real. But without
the diagnosis I was faking or lazy. Or manipulative. The struggle was dismissed.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
kwalk (04-15-18), psychopathetic (04-12-18), stef (04-12-18)
Old 04-13-18, 12:28 AM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,729 Times in 12,986 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

OMG yes, the "I do that too"... and I of course will only tell people I like and trust ( Ive told a few colleagues), and naturally they are kind and interested, but their reaction is usually the rather puzzled, "everyone does that".

It really is very difficult to explain. the next one i'm going to try is: "you know that feeling you get when you walk into a room and forgot what you went there to get? That is the permanent state of my mind because my brain does not process information correctly".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (04-13-18), psychopathetic (04-13-18)
Old 04-13-18, 12:50 AM

psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef View Post
I of course will only tell people I like and trust ( Ive told a few colleagues)
Yeah, I've become more and more guarded on who I tell anymore. The professionals I'm working with that I mentioned above...are mental health professionals (case managers and therapist).

Quote:
their reaction is usually the rather puzzled, "everyone does that"
Yeah, this is another thing I've been experiencing.
I had to get a new therapist recently (like 6 months ago)...and I kid you not, right after I explained a few things about me and my adhd to her in our first session...she giggled and said "You know? I think I must have a little bit of ADHD too."

lol
I sure wish I only had a "little bit" of it.

Also I'm in a new therapy group...and I told them about adhd in one of the sessions...but before I began, I made it very clear to them that everyone has these symptoms, but those with adhd have them to such an extreme that they can absolutely be a disability to them, effecting every aspect of their lives over their entire life span. That they don't just have these symptoms once in awhile like everyone else...but they have them frequently, consistently over long stretches of time.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
kwalk (04-15-18), Lunacie (04-13-18)
Old 04-13-18, 04:36 AM
ADDvanced Member

Kaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to all

My friends don't take it very serious, because:

- i've been getting by 'just fine' without the diagnose and treatment, so it's more like a 'luxury' to have it
- they keep on asking me: i do this and that, could i also have adhd?
- some even see taking the medication as a weakness: me being dependant on something and i can feel them thinking 'it's not really necessary'. One of my friends is going through a depression, but she doesn't want to seek professional help because 'she doesn't believe in that'. She thinks a relationship would be her solution, i didn't agree and then she compared me taking medication with her need for a man in her life... au that was painful, and also raising doubt in me: could that be true? If so: i 'm having a good relationship with Concerta, he brings out the best of me
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kaia.S For This Useful Post:
kwalk (04-15-18), Lunacie (04-13-18), psychopathetic (04-13-18)
Old 04-13-18, 05:21 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 30,817 Times in 14,114 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Not dismissed but downplayed or...invalidated sometimes. I do not talk often with anyone about my issues unless I am very close with them or the subject pops up. I try not to because I do not want to be that person who only talks about whats wrong with them-even though I wouldnt mind some ideas or help from other people.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Kaia.S (04-13-18), psychopathetic (04-13-18)
Old 04-13-18, 05:21 AM
Jr Member

unomie has a spectacular aura aboutunomie has a spectacular aura about

On the contrary, I told one of my pals I was getting diagnosed next week and he said 'it's about ******* time'

...How did everyone see this but me? and why did no one tell me :/ - being nicknamed 'spaceman' for the past 12 years should've been a hint I guess...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to unomie For This Useful Post:
kwalk (04-15-18), psychopathetic (04-13-18)
Old 04-13-18, 06:39 AM

For what it's worth Kaja, I think you and Concerta make a lovely couple!

(((Kaja)))

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Kaia.S (04-13-18), Lunacie (04-13-18)
Old 04-13-18, 09:31 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,151 Times in 653 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Hi Psych, I find they do. Most have no perspective for such things. TBH I am "hardwired" to not discuss these type of things except w/ close friends and on an as-needed basis. If I needed to give perspective I would draw talking points from a list of symptoms (for lack of a better word) and examples of real-life impacts. FWIW I think you can see from your post yesterday and the responses that your struggles in this area seem to be pretty common and not fully addressed by all (including me). -LN

Still doing things because you want to do them?
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (04-13-18)
Old 04-14-18, 02:28 AM

PoppnNSailinMan is a name known to allPoppnNSailinMan is a name known to allPoppnNSailinMan is a name known to allPoppnNSailinMan is a name known to allPoppnNSailinMan is a name known to allPoppnNSailinMan is a name known to allPoppnNSailinMan is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
Do you ever feel like people dismiss your struggles and your need for help because you seem so normal?
Last year, I had an appointment with a psychiatric nurse practitioner to find out about the possibility of seeing a therapist and after he found out that I had been to college, he told me that I was "too functional" to need to see a therapist.

This was, in my opinion, a ridiculous thing for him to say. Although they might not all want to admit it, almost everyone has some issues that crop up in their life from time to time and could benefit from seeing a therapist. I don't think anyone is "too functional" in this regard.

Then more recently, another professional referred to me as "high-functioning." The first thing that crossed my mind was, if I'm so "high-functioning," why have I struggled so much of my life to do a lot of fairly basic things? And if I'm "high-functioning," would a person who doesn't have ADHD or some other disorder be considered "super-high-functioning"?

I looked this term up and discovered that this is part of the lingo that mental health professionals use, for example, to describe people with Autism, dividing them up into low-, medium- or high-functioning individuals. And even people with depression or Bipolar Disorder or other mental conditions can sometimes be divided into low-functioning and high-functioning individuals.

Compared to someone who has severe ADHD or severe Autism, I agree that I'm probably more functional overall. And on an intellectual level, I might consider myself "high functioning". But when it comes to things like keeping my house clean, making sure I have clean clothes to wear, preparing food for myself and making sure I eat regularly, staying socially connected, making sure my bills get paid, being able to finish things in a timely manner or finish them at all, etc., I'm more towards the "low functioning" end. Most of my life, I've lived with someone, either my parents or a partner, who did a lot of those things for me or reminded me to do them.

So, instead of "high-functioning," maybe "medium-functioning" would have been a more accurate description for me.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
daveddd (04-14-18), DeClutter (04-16-18), kwalk (04-15-18), Lunacie (04-14-18), psychopathetic (04-14-18)