ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD A forum to discuss Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Simple Phobias, and Social Anxiety Disorder

Old 10-02-17, 04:21 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,477 Times in 3,092 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Life crushing anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
Then go for the better place
You're assuming it will be better. If it's any worse then it will be the end of me and there's every chance that it could be.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-02-17), hutchie0109 (10-02-17)
Old 10-02-17, 04:46 PM

Thanked 14,556 Times in 6,500 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
I know some people are like immune to ever experiencing the worst effects. But how many people are really that lucky?
I’m not...there are three psychiatric medications that immediately presented as toxic to me:
  • Effexor (venlafaxine) - debilitating nausea, feeling of about to vomit, constantly watering mouth, lasted 5 days until I bailed
  • Lexapro (escitalopram) - constant gagging and retching, inability to eat any solid food, lasted 72 hours until I bailed
  • Zoloft (sertraline) - made me so spacey it was unsafe to drive, zero short-term memory, depersonalization, derealization, stopped after 2nd dose
Quote:
It seems that most people seem to hit a brickwall at some point and find themselves in a worse place than they were to begin with.
Could you be more specific or give me an example of what you mean?

Quote:
I couldn't imagine being in a worse place than I am right now.
I thought that same thing the other day, so I decided to do something about it. I realized that untreated, it would eventually lead to my undoing, with grave consequences, including the potential of my own death.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (10-14-17), Greyhound1 (10-02-17)
Old 10-02-17, 09:41 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Thanked 1,231 Times in 520 Posts
WhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud of

I don't like medications, either. I don't even like taking them for headaches or illnesses. It wasn't easy putting my kids on meds and I do worry a little about them being on them longterm, and starting them myself, but I've realized it's worth the risks. What other choice is there, go through the rest of your life being miserable? When there are options to make things better for you? You don't know what will happen if you take meds, but you know you will continue to be miserable without them, right? I hope you at least try them and see how much it helps you! Where do you get the idea most people end up worse off?
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOwl For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-14-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-17, 03:11 PM

Thanked 3,939 Times in 2,027 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Quote:
I know some people are like immune to ever experiencing the worst effects. But how many people are really that lucky?
Seems like most people who have tried the anti-anxiety pills here did get good results without serious long term side effects. I've read some complaints on depression meds but I haven't really seen as many on anti-anxiety meds.

My mom has been taking a benzo for a couple years now. Man alive has it made a difference. She did get a side effect. Can't remember what it was but it wasn't that big a deal and the dr. just lowered her med a bit and shes fine again.

I was afraid of the side effects for her too. But then my sisters pointed out the side effect for her not taking the meds is that she might end up having a stroke. It was when she had a mini-stroke we were able to convince her to start taking the meds. Her mini-stroke was timed at a very high stress point in her life so we are pretty sure anxiety had a lot to do with her stroke.

My sisters have had a friend die in his 30s from a heart attack. They think his extreme work stress contributed to it - he never took anxiety meds. I myself have gotten stomach erosion, high blood pressure, all from stress (well, bp is genetic too) which isn't even as severe as I'm sure your anxiety is.

The side effects of not taking meds can sometimes be much, much greater than the meds you do take. You're still young so maybe high bp, ulcers, heart attacks, strokes haven't come into play yet but if you don't treat your anxiety, the odds are they will someday affect you too - before you know it. Listening to how severe your side effect of not taking meds is, I suspect you will have a more painful and short life without meds than with - even if the meds do end up causing some pain and shortening your life somewhat.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-14-17), Fuzzy12 (10-14-17), WhiteOwl (10-14-17)
Old 12-14-17, 08:02 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

C15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to all

Fraser,

if you look at my signature you find something that fights anxiety effective without any side effects.

CBD-votary
Old 12-14-17, 08:07 PM

Thanked 21,417 Times in 11,485 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by C15H25N3O View Post
Fraser,

if you look at my signature you find something that fights anxiety effective without any side effects.
It is illegal.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-14-17)
Old 12-14-17, 09:14 PM

Thanked 14,556 Times in 6,500 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Absent an Ativan or Xanax, a single cocktail works wonders.

Can't really recommend it, is a crap long-term strategy, and it's harder on the body than a benzo, but any port in a storm, as they say.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 07-15-18, 10:05 PM

unverified is on a distinguished road

I know how you feel dude, you have a legit condition and yet are treated as if you're just being lazy or unmotivated. It also sounds like you're depressed, most likely from having to deal with this.

Call your doc and get something, it may not work now but you'll feel better for just even being proactive about it. You can't help that you have this condition, but you can do something to find the relief that you need AND deserve. If you need to talk or just blow off some steam, you can always message me