ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-14, 11:57 PM
Jr Member

Dopaminergic is on a distinguished road
Anyone focus better with the lights off?

I've noticed that when I'm in complete darkness, I can think better and feel more in touch with myself. As soon as the lights go on, or I start looking at a computer monitor, I zone out and have difficulty thinking. I tested my cognitive abilities with the lights on and off by doing two things. I played episodes of jeopardy with the lights on, and with the lights off. When the lights were off and I just listened to the questions, I felt like I could think about the questions much better before answering. I actually tended to get a lot more right when the lights were off. The second thing that I did was listen music and figure out how to play the songs by ear on guitar. It was so much easier with the lights out. Also, I was prescribed ritalin for adhd about a month ago. It makes me feel more focused, but I have a really hard time thinking clearly when on it. I did my light test after taking it, and I suddenly could think clearly. Even clearer than I did in the dark while not on Ritalin. I'm confused..
The Following User Says Thank You to Dopaminergic For This Useful Post:
Hyperman87 (04-23-14)
Old 04-18-14, 02:14 AM
Mrs dvdnvwls

Thanked 18,904 Times in 9,304 Posts
BellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anyone focus better with the lights off?

Yeah, I think better in the dark too. Think it gets rid of many visual distractions.

Also I'm a bit sensitive to light so that in itself is a distraction for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to BellaVita For This Useful Post:
Hyperman87 (04-23-14)
Old 04-18-14, 02:38 AM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,968 Times in 9,011 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

I definitely think better in the dark, unless (obviously) I have to read.

I agree that simply removing the distraction of seeing everything is probably the main reason.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
Hyperman87 (04-23-14)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-14, 02:38 AM
Contributor

Dopes1 has much to be proud ofDopes1 has much to be proud ofDopes1 has much to be proud ofDopes1 has much to be proud ofDopes1 has much to be proud ofDopes1 has much to be proud ofDopes1 has much to be proud ofDopes1 has much to be proud of

Personally, no.

I prefer a well lit room so I can see what I'm doing.

In terms of focus? I get a headache looking at a computer screen being the sole light source in a dimly lit room.
Old 04-18-14, 02:46 AM
Mrs dvdnvwls

Thanked 18,904 Times in 9,304 Posts
BellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
I definitely think better in the dark, unless (obviously) I have to read.

I agree that simply removing the distraction of seeing everything is probably the main reason.
I said that because you've told me that before
The Following User Says Thank You to BellaVita For This Useful Post:
Hyperman87 (04-23-14)
Old 04-18-14, 03:15 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,110 Times in 13,166 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Yes!!! well not in the dark, but I hate too much artificial light. I think it's really cozy to watch TV at night with dim lighting in the room.
Fortunately at work, we can adjust the lighting. Too bright, makes me edgy.
I often turn on the light in the hallway rather than in the bedroom, it looks less messy that way.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (04-18-14), Hyperman87 (04-23-14)
Old 04-18-14, 06:05 AM

Thanked 30,370 Times in 13,993 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

No I hate badly lit rooms. Light helps me focus and keeps me awake.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Hyperman87 (04-23-14)
Old 04-23-14, 12:16 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,316 Times in 642 Posts
Hyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant future

I love low light areas( I'm an ADHD'er w/ Migraine) plus low light means less chance of seeing my tremoring (Parkinsonian) left arm Yes I think better when I'm in the Dark!
Old 04-23-14, 02:48 AM

Thanked 1,912 Times in 958 Posts
Nicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant future

I think best in the dark. Especially if she is ugly! Hey-oh!

I find that it is easier to meditate with my eyes closed rather than opened.
Hyperman87 (04-27-14)