ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD A forum to discuss Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Simple Phobias, and Social Anxiety Disorder

Old 04-14-17, 10:58 AM

AGameOfChance is on a distinguished road
When is it ADHD and when is it dissociation?

I've been searching the web about this question but I can't seem to find a simple answer anywhere. Maybe that's because such a simple answer doesn't exist. But I'll try my hand here anyway.

When is it ADHD, and when is it dissociation?
Old 04-14-17, 04:13 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,968 Times in 9,011 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute
Re: When is it ADHD and when is it dissociation?

When is what dissociation? What happens that makes you wonder?
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
Old 04-14-17, 05:15 PM

AGameOfChance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
When is what dissociation? What happens that makes you wonder?
My question is how do I tell between attention and dissociation. I don't know if there's anything that happens to make me wonder, I just know that I've had a traumatic childhood and that CPTSD dissociation and ADHD inattention are easily confused for each other. So how do I tell the difference?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-17, 05:29 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,968 Times in 9,011 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, thanks, now I think I understand your question. I don't know the answer.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
Old 04-14-17, 05:44 PM

VoxPopuli has a spectacular aura aboutVoxPopuli has a spectacular aura about

I think that's a question for a professional. Many of us here have likely suffered with traumatic stress associated with our ADHD (especially those of us with the hyperactivity component), that have led to behaviors stemming from constant ridicule of our peers, anger & frustration from those in authority (i.e., teachers/family members/bosses, etc.), friends who interpret our lack of ability to maintain interest/be punctual/remember to pick them up from practice/movies/school, etc., is proof we don't care about our relationship(s) - no doubt its led to childhood onset of (secondary) PTSD in some of us.

I just think it would take a professional to determine whether CPTSD disassociation is due to a specific event - or whether it is a learned behavior from an underlying AD(H)D diagnosis.

You've come to the right place - hopefully someone with experience in this specific area can comment?

Good luck, don't stop searching - at least you're asking the right questions and trying to find help!
EYEgor: Abby... Normal. Yes that's it, Abby Normal!
The Following User Says Thank You to VoxPopuli For This Useful Post:
namazu (04-14-17)
Old 04-25-17, 07:17 AM

samilia is on a distinguished road

Dissociation often feels like you are in a "dream".
Your brain becomes cloudy.
Google derealisation, thats a dissociative state in which the world around you looks weird almost like you are stoned, your surroundings dont feel/look right when looking around, sort of dreamlike, surreal, not real. Almost impossible to describe. I had Dissociative derealization for 5 years after i watched my mum die and take her last breath. It came on with PTSD.

I also have ADD, but ive had that ever since i was a small child. The feelings of add like inattention may make you make careless mistakes, forget stuff, alwayd late etc, but it doest make you feel/or see in a dream like haze Dissociative derealization does. That is just one type of dissociation btw. There are a few times of dissociative feelings and behaviors and disorders. Does this answer your question?
Old 04-29-17, 07:26 AM

VoxPopuli has a spectacular aura aboutVoxPopuli has a spectacular aura about

I can attest to feeling different from everyone else, especially when I discovered that not everyone forgives you for "messing up". This has led to dissociative feelings, but it's not deep/profound - just an abiding feeling that I'm not like everyone else.

Are your dissociative feelings like the ones I've described, or are they more profound?
EYEgor: Abby... Normal. Yes that's it, Abby Normal!
Old 11-18-17, 05:05 PM
ADDvanced Member

allesandro1 has a spectacular aura aboutallesandro1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGameOfChance View Post
I've been searching the web about this question but I can't seem to find a simple answer anywhere. Maybe that's because such a simple answer doesn't exist. But I'll try my hand here anyway.

When is it ADHD, and when is it dissociation?
It's always dissociation. The issue is whether or not the dissociation is the result of the reticular system looping out as in ADD or whether the disassociation is the result of trauma, or a combination of both