ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD A forum to discuss Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Simple Phobias, and Social Anxiety Disorder

View Poll Results: Have you had traumatic events in childhood
YES, I 've had really harsh moments I don't wanna for my children 15 65.22%
MAYBE, but not sure if a unique experience worth elaborating 2 8.70%
I DON'T THINK SO, a regular childhood 2 8.70%
DEFINITELY NOT. It's been a happy time that I miss 4 17.39%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-07-17, 10:24 AM
ADDvanced Member

userguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the rough
PTSD vs ADHD poll

A recent post of Elanes reminded me of the blurred line between PTSD and ADHD

Hence the question:

Was your childhood traumatic ? I mean events that left you alone and helpless, and it's not a community-wide experience like floods, fire, war, etc.
Old 06-07-17, 10:56 PM

Thanked 34,110 Times in 15,441 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: PTSD vs ADHD poll

i had traumatic events in childhood, but i don't have PTSD.

enduring trauma is a necessary, but not a sufficient, criterion for such a diagnosis.

as well, one can, and many do, develop PTSD as adults.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
aeon (06-14-17), Andi (06-09-17), Little Missy (06-07-17), someothertime (06-07-17), userguide (06-08-17)
Old 06-07-17, 11:31 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 15,327 Times in 7,382 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by userguide View Post
A recent post of Elanes reminded me of the blurred line between PTSD and ADHD

Hence the question:

Was your childhood traumatic ? I mean events that left you alone and helpless, and it's not a community-wide experience like floods, fire, war, etc.
I think this is a tricky and difficult question. Having ADHD has given me emotional dysfunctions and lots of things were traumatic for me. My emotions from certain events are what traumatize me. They still traumatize me 40 + years later. I can still remember all those feelings at the time.

ADHD has caused me the most trauma in how overly sensitive and self-perpetuating my emotions are. I've been making mountains out of mole hills for a long time.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
aeon (06-14-17), Andi (06-09-17), BouCoupDinkyDau (08-08-17), Gypsy Willow (06-08-17), Little Missy (06-08-17), poppetx (10-14-17), someothertime (06-08-17), stef (06-09-17), userguide (06-08-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-17, 04:23 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,626 Times in 15,109 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I do not see adhd and trauma in the same light. I think having adhd can make some children more prone to abuse which would cause trauma, but I dont see the two as closely linked.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Andi (06-09-17), BouCoupDinkyDau (08-08-17), ginniebean (06-15-17), Gypsy Willow (06-12-17), userguide (06-08-17)
Old 06-08-17, 12:21 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I do not see adhd and trauma in the same light. I think having adhd can make some children more prone to abuse which would cause trauma, but I dont see the two as closely linked.
ADHD can cause emotional dysfunction which I believe is where my trauma stems from. Things that aren't traumatic for others such as my non-Adhd brother have caused me plenty of trauma. It's all in our perception.

Article on trauma and link to ADHD.
http://drellenlittman.com/adhdtraumaconnection.pdf
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
aeon (06-14-17), Andi (06-09-17), userguide (06-10-17)
Old 06-09-17, 09:00 AM
Forummarm

Thanked 8,058 Times in 2,504 Posts
Andi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond repute

Before my Bipolar dx, I was having regular meltdowns and PTSD flashes. Now that I'm somewhat stable (after my last surgery my meds aren't working as well and adjusting hasn't helped much) I haven't had a meltdown in years. Do I think some of it was part of my childhood abuse due to ADHD? Family has reported that when the meltdowns would happen I would rage and vile, hateful things just rolled off the tongue and then I would crash and sob curled up in a ball and if you tried to touch me, I would beg to not be hit. Sooo...is PTSD and ADHD linked or blurred...does this tie to my ADHD? I don't think that applies to me. I was abused; I have PTSD tied to that trauma and I also crash due to BP. I don't think my ADHD had anything to do with the abuse. All three of us kids had various issues and conditions, eldest brother and I (youngest) were beaten often. We could never do anything right for mom and dad. Also I really don't remember doing anything bad but standing close and wham. The middle brother was mom's favorite and never touched by her (he almost died as a toddler so mom took a shine to the kid she almost lost) however dad couldn't stand him, thought he was weak and odd (still feels this way today). All three were abused. All three have been abusive to others. We have all had PTSD and rage related incidents but I don't think any of it was due to our ADHD.

Mom is bipolar and she had rage and meltdowns of her own (her mother was bipolar as well and she may have been hit often by her, gram had a horrible Irish temper and would go from gentle and kind to rage). However I still feel that for mom, my older brother and I were just an easy target; two undesirable, unwanted children (we were both accidental pregnancies). She would look for us or call for us so she could hit. Not just a spanking...welts on the backside where you couldn't sit down, backhands across the face, leave a bruise, bust a lip...hit.

Also, I felt she believed I was her competition...maternal grandparents adored me and showered me with love and affection, something I never got from her and I think she was jealous...single child that she was.

Dad was abused as a child and initially didn't want kids and both were stuck in an unhappy marriage because of us...so, take it out on the kids.

All that said; I have Bipolar, I have ADHD, I am OCD and I have had PTSD moments...I think they're all their own individual part of who I am, I don't see ADHD and PTSD as a blurred line. I don't think the bipolar or ADHD caused the abuse. I think my parent's demons and conditions were the source of the abuse. Because of my abuse I think my OCD (I must control things and put things in order to stop the spiral) and PTSD (too late, she's gone off the rails) are the outcome. So, harsh moments, I had no intention of inflicting on my children but I am aware that I failed doing so before I was dx'd.

Everything I write is fully substantiated by my personal opinion.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Andi For This Useful Post:
aeon (06-14-17), ginniebean (06-15-17), Greyhound1 (06-11-17), Lunacie (06-10-17), Roxx1980 (06-30-17), userguide (06-10-17)
Old 06-09-17, 09:39 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,519 Times in 11,543 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

I almost wish I had some type pf trauma growing up because not having any trauma from my parents, not having any dysfunction in childhood, having parents that loved each other and me and my bother equally and being rather sheltered sure showed me what trauma is when they died.

It was terribly traumatic when my dad died, but when I lost my mum 6 years later, it was too much for a long time.

It does get easier as time goes on but it will never go away.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (06-14-17), Greyhound1 (06-11-17), Lunacie (06-10-17), userguide (06-10-17)
Old 06-10-17, 03:37 PM
ADDvanced Member

userguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the rough

I haven't voted yet myself.

By today's standars, I should vote 1.

By my parents' generation standards - 2 or 3

By my grands generation standards (2ww), my childhood was almost a paradise.

Maybe poor memory isn't such a bad thing afterall.
The Following User Says Thank You to userguide For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (06-11-17)
Old 06-10-17, 05:04 PM

Thanked 1,241 Times in 937 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

While acute and episodic distresses associated with PTSD can definitely make things worse, throughout life.

In general, i think impairment associated with AD(H)D is more due to abnormal chronic distressful circumstances experienced daily over a period of time during early infancy/toddlerhood/childhood, due to inheriting a more sensitive emotional temperament.

(In turn, in early life we got chronically distressed easier and more often, interfering with normal development.)

There are also other possible individual circumstances, in addition, to possibly being born with a more emotionally sensitive temperament, that may be contributing factors in individuals born with more sensitive emotional temperaments (or not), that may result in being abnormally chronically distressed, in early life.

But in this thread, I would like to focus on any possible common genetic factor (temperament) many of us may have been born with, that may have resulted in being abnormally chronically distressed, in early development.

m

Last edited by mildadhd; 06-10-17 at 05:33 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
userguide (06-12-17)
Old 06-11-17, 04:25 PM

An example of the kind of abnormal chronic distresses I am focusing on could be the year(s) before parents get a divorce.

The distresses do not begin from the divorce, the distressed family could occur for a length of time before the decision to divorce, etc.

(Even possibly before we are where born)

m
userguide (06-12-17)
Old 06-11-17, 04:53 PM

The more I learn about abnormal chronic distress, I realize that there are treatment options.

But sometimes there are doctors that are not aware of the fact and do nothing to help their patients, explore best treatment options.

Instead, the patient gets worse, and becomes more distressed from untreated distresses.

There seem to be some doctors that openly acknowledge that the parents can
become chronically abnormally distressed because their children have ADHD, but seem blind to the fact that children, especially children born with a more emotionally sensitive temperament, can become abnormally chronically distressed by the parents.

Those doctors seems to be interested in lessening distresses on the parents, but not interested in lessening the distresses on the children.

I am not saying this is intentional, but the doctor seems to have old social untrue ideology that young children are immune to distresses, which science has now shown to be untrue.

And that abnormally chronic distresses occurring during the early years of life can have an enormous negative impact on children's development that can have a negative impact throughout life, especially if the distresses are ignored and untreated.

M
userguide (06-12-17)
Old 06-11-17, 06:30 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

I think ADHD and it's emotional dysfunctions can greatly lower one's threshold for trauma. I feel my threshold and perceptions were more dysfunctional than those of most others. Things that traumatized me wouldn't and didn't traumatize others like my brother.

He received even more punishment than I did because he didn't care. Parents would spank him and he would say "that didn't hurt" and get hit harder. He would never cry or even be upset by it. I screamed bloody murder and thought I was going to die. I dwelled on it for weeks and he never gave it a second thought.

I was scared to death of my parents and learned to be very sneaky, whereas he was carefree and blatantly defiant.

My parents were shocked when I was much older and mentioned I had been traumatized. They really loved us and raised us the best way they knew how. They had no clue or desire for their methods to be traumatizing for me. They feel bad now and have asked if they were bad parents. They weren't. They followed the normal parent protocol for that time period but I was the one that was different.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
aeon (06-14-17), Gypsy Willow (06-12-17), Little Missy (06-11-17), userguide (06-12-17)
Old 06-11-17, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound1 View Post
I think ADHD and it's emotional dysfunctions can greatly lower one's threshold for trauma. I feel my threshold and perceptions were more dysfunctional than those of most others. Things that traumatized me wouldn't and didn't traumatize others like my brother...

Greyhound

I got to ask if you agree?

What is the difference between what you wrote in your quote above and what I wrote in post #9 below?

In my opinion what we are writing are very similar to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
..In general, i think impairment associated with AD(H)D is more due to abnormal chronic distressful circumstances experienced daily over a period of time during early infancy/toddlerhood/childhood, due to inheriting a more sensitive emotional temperament.

(In turn, in early life we got chronically distressed easier and more often, interfering with normal development.)..

m
userguide (06-12-17)
Old 06-11-17, 07:34 PM

Hyperactivity, inattention and impulsiveness are all normal in early life.

Nobody is born with the ability to self regulate

How could we be born with ADHD?

The younger the child the more environmental influences development.

Abnormal distresses in early life from birth to the age of 4 can interfere with development from birth to the age of 4.

Especially if the child is born with a more emotionally hypersensitive temperament.

The emotionally hypersensitive temperament is what is genetically inherited, not ADHD.

ADHD is the result of abnormal distresses experienced by children born with more emotionally hypersentive temperaments.

Why don't people think this is extremely important in regards too lessening distresses, before biology involved becomes moderately to severely impaired?

Why do people not feel guilty about ignoring the fact that we are born more emotionally sensitive?

I do not think anyone should feel guilty, I am trying to raise awareness, my point is that we are not focusing on all the facts, for some unknown reason to me.

Feeling quilty instead of addressing the issues is not going to help, and will only make things worse in the long run.

Everyone deserves the help we need, instead of covering up the facts.

m
userguide (06-12-17)
Old 06-11-17, 07:47 PM

"Emotional dysfunctions" do not begin at age 4.

Emotional dysfunctions are present from birth.

ADHD is present between the age of 4-7 give or take.

m
userguide (06-12-17)