ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD A forum to discuss Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Simple Phobias, and Social Anxiety Disorder

View Poll Results: Have you had traumatic events in childhood
YES, I 've had really harsh moments I don't wanna for my children 15 65.22%
MAYBE, but not sure if a unique experience worth elaborating 2 8.70%
I DON'T THINK SO, a regular childhood 2 8.70%
DEFINITELY NOT. It's been a happy time that I miss 4 17.39%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-11-17, 07:52 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,241 Times in 937 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation
Re: PTSD vs ADHD poll

I recommend everyone ask there doctors about the work of Dr. Peter Levine, as part of your ADHD treatment, the Dr. Barkley only approach is not enough.

Quote:
Bio
Peter A. Levine, Ph.D. is the originator and developer of Somatic Experiencing® and the Director of The Somatic Experiencing Trauma Institute.
Peter holds doctorate degrees in Medical Biophysics and in Psychology and during his thirty five-year study of stress and trauma, has contributed to a variety of scientific and popular publications.
Among his many accomplishments…
Peter has been stress consultant for NASA in the development of the first Space Shuttle; he’s been a member of the Institute of World Affairs Task Force with Psychologists for Social Responsibility and has also served on the APA initiative for response to large scale disaster and Ethno-political warfare. He is on the ‘distinguished faculty’ of Santa Barbara Graduate Institute and is a Senior Fellow at The Meadows Addiction and Trauma Treatment Center in Wickenburg, Arizona.
Peter is the author of the best selling book Waking the Tiger – Healing Trauma,(published in twenty languages) as well as four audio learning series for Sounds Trueincluding the book CD, Healing Trauma, a Pioneering Program in Restoring the Wisdom of Our Bodies; and Sexual Healing, Transforming the Sacred Wound.
He is the co-author of Trauma through a Child’s Eyes, Awakening the Ordinary Miracle of Healing. And Trauma-Proofing Your Kids, A Parents Guide for Instilling Confidence, Joy and Resilience.

The Quote
Trauma is a fact of life but it doesn’t have to be a life sentence.
Peter Levine, PhD

Last edited by namazu; 06-11-17 at 08:10 PM.. Reason: removed link: commercial websites are not permitted
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
userguide (06-12-17)
Old 06-11-17, 08:12 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,769 Times in 10,448 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Moderator note:
The question asked in the OP was:
Quote:
Originally Posted by userguide
Was your childhood traumatic? I mean events that left you alone and helpless, and it's not a community-wide experience like floods, fire, war, etc.
Please stay on topic. Posts that stray too much from this topic may be removed. Thanks.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
aeon (06-14-17), Fortune (06-14-17), mildadhd (06-11-17), userguide (06-12-17)
Old 06-11-17, 08:51 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,968 Times in 9,011 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think there's any blur at all between PTSD and ADHD. I think it's always easy to tell which is which. Some people do have both of them at once, though, and that could raise a few questions about individual symptoms.

I had a nice happy childhood.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
userguide (06-12-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-17, 09:15 PM

I was a very pleasant happy kid.

But that does not mean I did not experience obvious prenatal and postnatal abnormal chronic distresses of the my adoption

Especially if I was born with a more emotionally sensitive temperament.

The combination of emotionally hypersensitive temperament and adoption distresses could have impaired my pre and post natal development, and still be a happy kid.

Many people mention that having ADHD gets harder as the negative social impact of the impairment becomes more as we age, certainly true in my experience.

People who have experienced event that lead to PTSD could have experienced less acute but still abnormally chronic distresses before PTSD.

(While I appreciate the opening posters attempt to discuss the topics) I have not voted on the poll because the answers to the question are not always so cut and dry.

How could most of us even explicitly remember the first couple of years of our lives to accurately know how to vote, in regard to causation of impairment?

(Without asking parents of their experiences during our early lives)

I have been consciously trying to understand these topics for over ten years now, and along with other people who have been considering abnormal chronic distresses as partial factors, many people are who are less interested in the subject, are not considering the differences between abnormal chronic distresses and witnessing acute distresses.

And not considering the combination of abnormal chronic distresses, along with being born with a more emotionally hypersensitive temperament.

I have been considering and observing the combination along with peoples discussing personal family expereinces here at ADDFourms and it is very possible in my opinion.

m

Last edited by mildadhd; 06-11-17 at 09:40 PM..
userguide (06-12-17)
Old 06-12-17, 10:08 AM
ADDvanced Member

Gypsy Willow has a spectacular aura aboutGypsy Willow has a spectacular aura about

This is a good thread. I had a very happy childhood but was the "sensitive" child. My two sisters were hellions and things didn't seem to upset them as it would me. But perhaps it did...one ended up being an alcoholic and the other one is very unemotional and passive/aggressive. I was the good one; respected authority and loved spending time in my room listening to music and playing with my barbies. Very creative and imaginative. It makes sense I had/have Intattentive ADD.

But being ADD/sensitive....I am not afraid to express myself and say what I'm feeling. That to me, is a perk. We deal with things instead of burying them.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gypsy Willow For This Useful Post:
aeon (06-14-17), mildadhd (06-13-17), userguide (06-12-17)
Old 06-12-17, 05:00 PM
ADDvanced Member

userguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the rough

I haven't heard much of the concept of "abnormal chronic distress" in the ADHD context,
thanks for bringing it up mildadhd.

I think I know exactly what you're trying to say here, but at the same time it's hard
to put it into the frameset I already have.

That's why I maybe didn't think to include it in the poll. The option would have to read
"Did you feel your life sucked for more than 2 weeks? " .

How does abnormal chronic distress relate to "complex PTSD" ?

And does it have any diagnostic -> therapeutic use ?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to userguide For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (06-14-17), mildadhd (06-13-17)
Old 06-13-17, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by userguide View Post
I haven't heard much of the concept of "abnormal chronic distress" in the ADHD context,
thanks for bringing it up mildadhd.

I think I know exactly what you're trying to say here, but at the same time it's hard
to put it into the frameset I already have.

That's why I maybe didn't think to include it in the poll. The option would have to read
"Did you feel your life sucked for more than 2 weeks? " .
Thanks

I have attempted to create many polls, and after posting and receiving input from members, I have almost always realized it is very hard to represent all the possible circumstances in the poll options.

Although I have always learned from the members inputs' on all the possible poll options I did consider and the poll options did not consider.

I am happy to say, I've been happier with my choices of possible poll options in my more recent polls.

Working off your poll option idea quoted above, because there is always more than one factor involved, I wonder..

"Were you born more sensitive and did you and your family experience any types of unintentional distresses during your early infancy/toddlerhood/childhood, for more than two weeks"?

Thoughts?

m

Last edited by mildadhd; 06-13-17 at 12:58 AM..
userguide (06-14-17)
Old 06-13-17, 12:54 AM

Quote:
How does abnormal chronic distress relate to "complex PTSD" ?

And does it have any diagnostic -> therapeutic use ?

I am feeling tired.

But I wanted to say I really like these questions and am learning as I consider the discussion.

I would like to get back to you, when I do not feel as tired.

m

Last edited by mildadhd; 06-13-17 at 01:05 AM..
userguide (06-14-17)
Old 06-14-17, 06:33 PM
ADDvanced Member

userguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
Thanks

(...)

Working off your poll option idea quoted above, because there is always more than one factor involved, I wonder..

"Were you born more sensitive and did you and your family experience any types of unintentional distresses during your early infancy/toddlerhood/childhood, for more than two weeks"?

Thoughts?

m

This is good, but I had to read it 3 times to comprehend
I wouldn't know what "unintentional distress" is, neither for me as an infant, nor for my parents.

How about this: "Were you the most sensitive child in your class? "
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to userguide For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (06-14-17), mildadhd (06-15-17)
Old 06-14-17, 07:23 PM

Thanked 14,557 Times in 6,500 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

I would vote "1," but I have fathered no children.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
userguide (06-19-17)
Old 06-14-17, 08:08 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 15,331 Times in 7,385 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

I think there is probably a link between being overly sensitive and PTSD. Being overly sensitive sets us up for Traumatic stress. Having a much lower threshold to feel hurt, pain, abuse, anger, disappointment and the rest of our sensitive emotions seems to me to relate in a much lower threshold for PTSD.

Mountains out of molehills is our nature. I still have flashback of the anger and disappointment when I was 5 y/o and was told the truth about Santa, Easter bunny & Tooth fairy. I was devastated. I felt angry, betrayed and that all adults were liars. I wondered what else they had lied about. The world changed for me on that day. I even had to repeat kindergarten that same year.

Still remember vividly the mental and physical trauma of getting my *** and legs beat over and over with an old school metal tv antenna by my father. Getting beat with a huge paddle by a giant mean teacher right in front of everyone while classes changed out in the hallway, I was in Jr. high at age 13 and it still haunts me too.

Sorry, got off track. I need to stop before any more of my PTSD skeletons jump out.

Last edited by Greyhound1; 06-14-17 at 08:48 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
aeon (06-14-17), Little Missy (06-14-17), userguide (06-19-17)
Old 06-15-17, 02:47 AM

Quote:
This is good, but I had to read it 3 times to comprehend
I wouldn't know what "unintentional distress" is, neither for me as an infant, nor for my parents.

How about this: "Were you the most sensitive child in your class? "

What about: "Were you the most sensitive child in kindergarten class?"

I was so sensitive I didn't make it to kindergarten.

edit: Maybe your idea is better.

"Were you the most sensitive child in your class" might be easier for everyone to explicitly remember?

I am not sure.

I would like to see the focus on as early in development as possible from a prevention and lessening of severity perspective.

"Were you the most sensitive child in kindergarten class?"

But maybe your original idea, "Were you the most sensitive child in your class" would be understood by everyone better?

Thoughts?

m

Last edited by mildadhd; 06-15-17 at 03:10 AM..
userguide (06-22-17)
Old 06-21-17, 04:13 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
I would vote "1," but I have fathered no children.

Cheers,
Ian
I haven't either - I thought the children thing will separate seriously traumatic events from less seriously traumatic events () , like in movies where the bad guy says "if you're so tough, let's stab this big red hot knife in the kid's eye" and the tough guy gives in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound1 View Post
I think there is probably a link between being overly sensitive and PTSD. Being overly sensitive sets us up for Traumatic stress. Having a much lower threshold to feel hurt, pain, abuse, anger, disappointment and the rest of our sensitive emotions seems to me to relate in a much lower threshold for PTSD.

Mountains out of molehills is our nature. I still have flashback of the anger and disappointment when I was 5 y/o and was told the truth about Santa, Easter bunny & Tooth fairy. I was devastated. I felt angry, betrayed and that all adults were liars. I wondered what else they had lied about. The world changed for me on that day. I even had to repeat kindergarten that same year.

Still remember vividly the mental and physical trauma of getting my *** and legs beat over and over with an old school metal tv antenna by my father. Getting beat with a huge paddle by a giant mean teacher right in front of everyone while classes changed out in the hallway, I was in Jr. high at age 13 and it still haunts me too.

Sorry, got off track. I need to stop before any more of my PTSD skeletons jump out.
That's sad. In my school teachers didn't dare to beat anyone (at least not me), but they used to humiliate children, especially those poorer/dumber/less popular/etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post

What about: "Were you the most sensitive child in kindergarten class?"

I was so sensitive I didn't make it to kindergarten.

edit: Maybe your idea is better.

"Were you the most sensitive child in your class" might be easier for everyone to explicitly remember?

I am not sure.

I would like to see the focus on as early in development as possible from a prevention and lessening of severity perspective.

"Were you the most sensitive child in kindergarten class?"

But maybe your original idea, "Were you the most sensitive child in your class" would be understood by everyone better?

Thoughts?

m
As early as possible would be in the womb
I see your point, but what a therapist would say to the direction you're heading ?

I didn't make it to the kindergarten either.
Kindergarten is the very first time a child gets separated from his/her family for longer
and so this might generate a lot of stress for most children.

So let them chill and ask them later maybe
The Following User Says Thank You to userguide For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (06-27-17)
Old 06-21-17, 06:27 AM

Thanked 30,370 Times in 13,993 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Willow View Post
This is a good thread. I had a very happy childhood but was the "sensitive" child. My two sisters were hellions and things didn't seem to upset them as it would me. But perhaps it did...one ended up being an alcoholic and the other one is very unemotional and passive/aggressive. I was the good one; respected authority and loved spending time in my room listening to music and playing with my barbies. Very creative and imaginative. It makes sense I had/have Intattentive ADD.

But being ADD/sensitive....I am not afraid to express myself and say what I'm feeling. That to me, is a perk. We deal with things instead of burying them.
This was exactly my experience as well. I was quiet and well behaved and loved just playing by myself with teddies other figures. When I wasn't reading I spent hours creating and playing out stories. I had long storylines going.

Very uneventful childhood with very loving and caring parents but I was so sensitive that I still spent a lot of time being unhappy.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Gypsy Willow (07-07-17), stef (06-21-17), userguide (06-22-17)
Old 07-07-17, 01:27 PM
ADDvanced Member

Gypsy Willow has a spectacular aura aboutGypsy Willow has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
This was exactly my experience as well. I was quiet and well behaved and loved just playing by myself with teddies other figures. When I wasn't reading I spent hours creating and playing out stories. I had long storylines going.

Very uneventful childhood with very loving and caring parents but I was so sensitive that I still spent a lot of time being unhappy.
^^^ Totally relate. I would escape through creativity.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gypsy Willow For This Useful Post:
userguide (07-07-17)