ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 11-10-17, 02:44 AM

Arthos is a jewel in the roughArthos is a jewel in the roughArthos is a jewel in the rough
No report cards to bring

Since I don't have any written report cards to bring to my assessment, I was wondering what else could be useful to bring instead.

I have some notebooks from when I was 12-13. Would that be any use at all?
Old 11-10-17, 03:41 AM
ADDvanced Member

CharlesH is a jewel in the roughCharlesH is a jewel in the roughCharlesH is a jewel in the rough
Re: No report cards to bring

Do you have people (siblings, parents, childhood friends, family friends, etc) who can be witnesses for your childhood behaviors?
Old 11-10-17, 05:42 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,283 Times in 13,270 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Who told you you need to bring a written record for a diagnosis?

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-17, 06:32 AM
Jr Member

Cat Noir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
It says on my test/ diagnose paper that if you still have old school reports where it’s written or commented by teachers about your focus and concentration. My therapist even ask me if still had some if not to ask my family members how I was as child. I was lucky to find one but it was at the age of 15/16 years old but it says that I need to focus and concentrate on my school work.
Old 11-10-17, 07:19 AM

OyVeyKitty is a splendid one to beholdOyVeyKitty is a splendid one to beholdOyVeyKitty is a splendid one to beholdOyVeyKitty is a splendid one to beholdOyVeyKitty is a splendid one to beholdOyVeyKitty is a splendid one to beholdOyVeyKitty is a splendid one to beholdOyVeyKitty is a splendid one to behold

I'm not sure your notebooks would be very useful unless they really show you struggling in school somehow. I think CharlesH's idea about having people who knew you as a child give some sort of testimony is best if you can't bring any report cards. In addition to my report cards I wrote down a whole bunch of ways ADD has affected my life, that way I wouldn't forget to mention most of it. I still forgot a bunch, but at least I had the major things down on paper.

If you can't do that, I would think it's fine to go in without. I tried to look up NHS's policies for diagnosing ADHD in adults but didn't really come up with much. Did someone from there specifically ask you to bring your school records or is it something you just heard could be beneficial?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I barely graduated primary school with a GPA of 1.5 and wasn't accepted into high school with such poor grades. I was strongly advised (by others who have gone through the process, not the GP) to bring my graduation report card to my pre-assessment with a GP and it did help. I will be bringing it to my actual assessment as well.

Here in Europe they place a lot of emphasis on the idea that ADD should have hindered you all your life, in which case your report cards should show it. I don't agree with this, because some people are better able to adapt to school despite ADD than others. Some may also have had parents, siblings or friends who could have helped them learn in a more ADD-friendly way etc. A decent GPA doesn't mean they didn't have an immensely tough time and lots of external help achieving it.

There's also the old and damaging but still lingering idea that ADD is only really a thing in your childhood. In fact, here in Finland, it's only recently (I think the last 2 years) that our national health insurance started covering ADD meds for people over age 25, because it was viewed as a kid's disorder.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OyVeyKitty For This Useful Post:
Cat Noir (11-10-17), namazu (11-10-17)
Old 11-10-17, 07:26 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,283 Times in 13,270 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that it can be immensely helpful but it shouldnt be a requirement because many of us do not have things like report cards and even if we have parents that kept them some of us do not have parents that we want involved in our medical stuff or in the diagnosis process.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyVeyKitty View Post
I'm not sure your notebooks would be very useful unless they really show you struggling in school somehow. I think CharlesH's idea about having people who knew you as a child give some sort of testimony is best if you can't bring any report cards. In addition to my report cards I wrote down a whole bunch of ways ADD has affected my life, that way I wouldn't forget to mention most of it. I still forgot a bunch, but at least I had the major things down on paper.

If you can't do that, I would think it's fine to go in without. I tried to look up NHS's policies for diagnosing ADHD in adults but didn't really come up with much. Did someone from there specifically ask you to bring your school records or is it something you just heard could be beneficial?

I barely graduated primary school with a GPA of 1.5 and wasn't accepted into high school with such poor grades. I was strongly advised (by others who have gone through the process, not the GP) to bring my graduation report card to my pre-assessment with a GP and it did help. I will be bringing it to my actual assessment as well.

Here in Europe they place a lot of emphasis on the idea that ADD should have hindered you all your life, in which case your report cards should show it. I don't agree with this, because some people are better able to adapt to school despite ADD than others. Some may also have had parents, siblings or friends who could have helped them learn in a more ADD-friendly way etc. A decent GPA doesn't mean they didn't have an immensely tough time and lots of external help achieving it.

There's also the old and damaging but still lingering idea that ADD is only really a thing in your childhood. In fact, here in Finland, it's only recently (I think the last 2 years) that our national health insurance started covering ADD meds for people over age 25, because it was viewed as a kid's disorder.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 11-10-17, 10:44 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 19,291 Times in 10,254 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Your prior schools always have report cards. Sometimes the secretary has to microfiche them, but they are always there.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 11-10-17, 01:51 PM

Arthos is a jewel in the roughArthos is a jewel in the roughArthos is a jewel in the rough

A friend of mine who get assessed by the same mental health team was asked to bring report cards if they had them. Haven't received my letter yet, but chances are I will be asked the same.

I do have report cards up to age 11, but they are just a list of numbers that don't even mean anything to anyone because they are from abroad. There are no written comments on the report cards.

My parents still live abroad, so I can't bring them. Not that they would be any help since they think that everything that I do is normal even when it is objectively not.

The notebooks are not that insightful either, I guess. I only used a couple of pages in each. They start off in the first week with actual homework that's done, in the second week I have written "logic" to all questions that I knew how to answer but couldn't be bothered to, and in the third week I stopped writing anything at all
Old 11-10-17, 01:56 PM

The mental health team often assesses students who have made it to a pretty decent university, so I am not too worried about people dismissing me on my grades. Especially because it will be an extensive interview and all that in which I can explain how those grades came into existence in the first place
Old 11-10-17, 03:45 PM

PoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
Your prior schools always have report cards. Sometimes the secretary has to microfiche them, but they are always there.
More important than the grades themselves are teachers' comments. The ones on many of my old report cards are hand written, so I doubt that those have been saved at the schools I attended.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following User Says Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
Arthos (11-10-17)
Old 11-11-17, 08:31 PM

Just got the letter about the initial assessment. It says
Quote:
Can you also enclose any copies of school reports and ensure that any corroborative information from your parents/guardian is included. If you do not have access to this information, please contact us to discuss whether alternative information might be available.
Call me a wuss but I detest calling people, so I am still hoping to sort this out without calling them. I have already contacted some people who were assessed by the same team, so hopefully that yields something useful.

I was stupid enough to not bring my notebooks after all. Or report cards. And my parents are still useless, so ...

Any brilliant ideas?
Old 11-18-17, 04:04 PM

In the end I managed to find:
- An end of primary school assessment
- A letter of recommendation from my high school class tutor that was not strictly a letter of recommendation (as it mentions the selective nature of my attention)

This will have to do. Sent it all in the post today along with a questionnaire that they requested. Now it's the waiting game for the appointment letter.

Oddly proud of myself that I managed to get this all done. Sadly it will probably be at least 3 months before the appointment.