ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 03-01-09, 11:27 PM

rdjohnson is on a distinguished road
8 year old - changing meds????

My son was diagnosed with adhd one year ago. His pediatrician recommended vyvanse and when he had MAJOR rebound added prozac. After about 3 months he upped it and for the next two we had battles at home every night with horrible language, anger, aggressiveness, etc. Then it started at school. We decided to see a child psychiatrist and he switched us to Focalin extended in the morning and 5mg at 3:00. He began to eat (gained 5 pounds in 3 weeks), sleep, and was our sweet boy again. The teacher noticed a wearing off around 2:00 and we noticed at about 5. Still we were happy that at least it was extreme hyperness like running around the table 30 times and not meanness. For 3 weeks he did not lash out or say one bad word. At our 2nd visit the doctor suggested 2 things for the wearing off time - another extended dose at lunch or straterra to boost the focalin overall. We are trying a lunchtime dose. Now we are back to cussing every other word, yelling, totally disobeying, almost like it was on the vyvanse. Swearing to crying to laughing to running. It seems he just isn't handling too much of the stimulant. Please help me with suggestions or ideas. I understand the need to keep trying to see what med works best but that scares me as a mom. I am willing but just want to do the right thing. I think dad is about to go off the deep end and we just need advice and support. I am sorry this is such a long post but I will take any direction, links, other posts, etc. Thank you!