ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Misc Treatments and Approaches
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-09, 01:08 PM

lockedmyselfout will become famous soon enough
Re: non-drug treatment success stories please!

hey worriedmom1,
i went through the same thng your son went through and we are the same age. i started off o medication, but have leaned towards more natural ways since medication does more bad for the body then good. it definately helped but it just didnt feel right for my body. i stopped medication and went onto some supplements and an everyday mutivitamin. do some research on the following supplements and decide whether they are right for your son.
my regimen:
i set an alarm 30 minutes before i want to wake up and take 1 multivitamin, 1 DMAE, 1 L-tyrosine, 1 L-theanine, B-complex vitamin.
i wake up feeling refreshed and clear headed. (no brain fog)
the l theanine is for mild anxiety and it works amazingly
the dmae crosses the blood brain barrier and is said to increase blood flow to the frontal cortex (one of the reasons add occurs), and produces acetylcholine. the b complex is needed for the tyrosine and dmae to be effective since pantothenic acid(b5) is needed for acetylcholine to be produced and vitamins b6 and b12 allow for tyrosine to be transformed into dopamine. i was skeptical at first and after many different supplements i find that these are the ones that work out best.
i am innattentive add with mild anxiety and found that this with meditation and exercise works best for me. also if your son smokes marijuana, it is best to stop. i found research somewhere that says it agrivates anxiety and it surely can't be good for short term memory associated with add. good luck and im going to look into this neurofeedback as it sounds effective
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lockedmyselfout For This Useful Post:
Beset (03-23-13), CK302 (10-29-09)
Old 12-02-09, 06:21 PM
Jr Member

Hetwoman is on a distinguished road

Has anyone else had experience of being able to motivate children with adhd with eco projects and working with animals - i have found this works where coping in the classroom can create hypersensitive reactions - it seems like being outdoors makes a big difference.... anyone else found this?
Old 10-14-10, 02:03 PM
Banned

steven d will become famous soon enough

Please see my signature for a new treatment for adhd!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-11, 03:44 PM

VickieH is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: non-drug treatment success stories please!

My son was diagnosed officially when he was 10, he is now 31. Since April of this year.. he has a new lease on life thanks to a product that he takes daily. It is called Renu IQ. It has changed our lives so much that we now are distributors with the company. I'm not sure if it is allowed to post your own link so if you want the link to read more about it, please feel free to PM me. I will be happy to tell you more about what it is and what exactly it has done for us.

After 20 years of searching and trying tons of things that did nothing... I feel like this is a huge blessing!

Last edited by TygerSan; 10-14-14 at 02:42 PM.. Reason: Remove email address from post
Old 09-30-11, 12:13 AM

CindyLouWho will become famous soon enough

Hi Vickie,

I realize that I'm responding to a post that is a few months old but I was curious as to what specific improvements your son experienced on the Renu IQ? The reason I ask is because I noticed that one of it's main ingredients is Bacopa. I originally began researching Bacopa quite some time ago for another totally unrelated condition and found it quite intriguing.

My 13 year old son was diagnosed ADD this week. He's been taking Bacopa (single herb formulation) for several weeks (though really only the past 3 with any sort of regularity). I believe I am noticing a difference....though it is oddly difficult to articulate exactly what those changes are. Obviously I can't advocate its use for anyone else, but it does seem to be doing something.

This week we added MindCare Jr which also contains Bacopa along with several other herbs. I've upgraded his multi and fish oil as well to ones that reportedly have better bioavailability. We shall see....
Old 12-19-12, 09:26 PM

jasonwebb is on a distinguished road

Its surely a great and motivational thread and will positively affect a lot of people and all the credit goes to admins.Thumbs up
Old 12-20-12, 09:54 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,107 Times in 15,356 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I have 3 kids with adhd. Son is 16 and yaken them foe 15 years. Decided one day he didn't want them. Hes almost an adult so I have to k
Gut the cord abut. My my daughters could not tolerate any med so we do our besy with health eatingga member ccomm51 has some good info tryi pm'ing her.

I carried a watermelon?

Last edited by sarahsweets; 12-20-12 at 10:23 AM..
Old 02-04-13, 05:08 PM

diesel1 is on a distinguished road

is this by crystal star?
Old 03-22-13, 03:50 PM

Drmdm55 is on a distinguished road

Hi, I am a retired special education teacher who spent years teaching children with ADHD without meds to learn. Major key is to create neural patterns....make as many tasks and routines a habit.....through repetition. life skills such as getting up and taking a bath and put the directions to music. NO drugs just attacking household daily stress in a fun funky way.

Last edited by BR549; 03-22-13 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: commercial link
Old 10-01-13, 04:12 PM
Jr Member

EllyBont is on a distinguished road

I am so glad this thread has started! My five year old has ADHD. We didn't dismiss the meds but went for the alternative method of brainwave tech. After much discussion (arguments) with family and friends I am so glad we did. We're using play attention with total success. We didn't have to homeschool and he is doing great in school and has lots of friends. He even has sleep overs and goes fishing, something I never knew about him, where were we? Lost in everyone except for recognizing him. The program is based on NASA's brainwave technology and yes, WE CAN CHANGE OUR MINDS. Cheers, what a vote a confidence this has given to our family and I'm sure will be past forward.
Old 10-03-14, 12:43 AM

Rockwell has a spectacular aura aboutRockwell has a spectacular aura about

Please read this article regarding supplements. It is well written and makes a ton of sense after reading. ADDers lack dopamine and norepinephrine, so find supplements that promotes dop/nor in our brains. It's all in the article written by an MD in a reputable ADD website.
Old 10-14-14, 07:48 AM
Jr Member

nelle1992 is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure if someone has already posted this as my computer isn't letting me scroll through the pages, but check out the book by Sue Dengate titled "Fed Up". It's all about how different foods affect your kids. I focuses on additives and processed ingredients and it's spot on!
I'm quite sensitive to additives, as is my brother, and many of the after-effects of eating crappy food will enhance my 'negative' ADHD traits and I can imagine would cause false diagnosis in many kids!
Old 10-22-15, 10:02 AM

Wouter1986 is on a distinguished road

For me (i've got ADD, believe me...) Acetyl l Carnitine did the trick because it increases acetylcholine levels, acetylcholine is a neurotransmittor that is very important for a good attention and memory. But acetyl-l-carnitine is not enough, when i combine it wil Huperzine A it's GOLD.

Huperzine A temporarily blocks an enzyme that breaks down your freshly supplemented acetylcholine. After like 5 hours it stops blocking the enzyme and i take another Huperzine A (100mcg).

So i take Acetyl-l-Carnitine (500mg) --> every 2hours and 50 minutes
And Huperzine A (100 mcg) --> every 5 hours

My complaints have practically disappeared so i quess i have a lack of acetylcholine which i have to supplement constantly or my ADD comes back.
Old 10-22-15, 12:25 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,107 Times in 15,356 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Always always always consult and work with a doctor when using any supplements.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Khamy25 (12-11-15)
Old 12-11-15, 08:22 AM

Khamy25 is just really niceKhamy25 is just really niceKhamy25 is just really niceKhamy25 is just really nice

Hi,

You're right! I plan to do a blood draw first for my son to check any deficiency before giving any supplement and I will consult the doctor first. Supplements can be dangerous we need to be careful.

I apologize for my weird writing I'm French .