ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 05-05-17, 06:41 PM

heythere999 will become famous soon enough
Should I feel guilty about asking for double the dose? My life has improved 100-fold.

Hey guys, so for most of my life I have felt like I was a lot slower than other people. Though I've had my fair share of times in my life where my grades were actually pretty good, for the most part, they've been volatile. I didn't realize until much later that I was pretty depressed. I remember early on in high school that I was convinced that I had "mild mental retardation" despite being a normal functioning member of society.

It really started getting to me when I began working after high school. In my first job, my bosses absolutely despised me and wanted me gone because I was slow, couldn't understand instructions, had to have things repeated to me a bunch of times, I made many careless mistakes, etc. etc.

My other coworkers constantly commented on how slow I was and some of my coworkers' patience with me wore thin. They didn't know that I was trying my best.

I got another job at a much faster-paced restaurant. Here, I really did try my absolute best. Before work I would guzzle down coffee to make sure I had energy. I made it a priority in my life so that I could be of some use. Though there were some times where my coworkers told me that I was "insanely fast," everyone agreed that I was wildly inconsistent. I would blank out often, make many careless mistakes, you name it. At one point one of my managers pulled me aside and had a talk with me and I cried my eyes out stating that I'm trying my best, and she told me that until I cried she thought I didn't care due to the amount of mistakes I would make. Again, she didn't know that I was seriously trying my best. I cared. A lot.

I also had ridiculously low self-confidence. I seriously thought I was too dumb to drive. I didn't drive on my own until I was forced to, at age 21. Most people who live around where I do start driving at age 17. 18 is the absolute max. It was incredibly embarrassing.

There were semesters in college where I started off with 15 units... ended with 3. I repeated numerous courses. I would forget to drop classes on time. I would sleep in class probably 90% of the time. The 10% of the time I was awake I would be on my phone a majority of the time.

I would lose EVERYTHING, CONSTANTLY. It wasn't uncommon for me to leave my phone, wallet, keys, backpack, etc. in the bathroom of my workplace. To leave my house without my work uniform. To have no idea where I placed pretty much anything.

I would also constantly binge eat, I was very overweight, I had pretty poor hygiene, I constantly drank and smoke. The insane depression I felt from feeling worthless was really, REALLY getting to me. I smoked 1-3 hours a day alone. That's right; hours. I would get drunk 1-2 times a week.

Then I finally took life into my own hands and got an Adderall prescription...

1. I went from smoking 1-3 hours a day.... to 0. I quit smoking.
2. I used to get drunk 1-2 times a week.... past 6 months, I've drank twice. Only got drunk one of those two times.
3. Grades went up considerably.
4. I finally started driving on my own. I actually enjoy driving. Driving for over an hour at a time is a regular thing for me.
5. I lost a lot of weight. I can manage my money. Take care of myself.

Simply put.... to say that my life has improved since I've taken Adderall is a gigantic understatement. Though I'm still insanely disorganized and I still experience brain fog, it is helping me not be a total embarrassment. It is helping me in every aspect of my life.

I have a psychiatrist that prescribed it to me. I went to a psychologist that put me through certain tests and told me that I have very severe inattention and some hyperactivity and that I should go to my school for further testing since it'll be free.

The thing is my psychiatrist only prescribes me enough to last me 4 hours a day.... I honestly would like to take it twice a day. Though I don't take it every single day or for every single occasion, I do want to take it more often, as I find myself being more akin to my old self (though slightly better) when I haven't taken it yet that day.

Should I feel guilty? What do you guys make of this?

Thanks!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to heythere999 For This Useful Post:
coolbanana (05-20-17), Greyhound1 (05-05-17), namazu (05-05-17), psychopathetic (05-06-17)
Old 05-05-17, 07:28 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 16,431 Times in 7,858 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should I feel guilty about asking for double the dose? My life has improved 100-f

Welcome to the forum!

It is normal protocol for Dr's to begin Adderall and stimulants in general at low doses. They usually will titrate up until they find the proper dose. This usually consists of trial and error until you find what works best. My Dr. has changed my doses and stimulants multiple times searching for the best efficacy.

You shouldn't feel guilty in the least. Adjusting doses is quite common and it's also difficult sometimes and takes time to determine the proper dose. If you are only getting coverage for 4 hours a day then I would certainly bring that up with your Dr.

Are you taking Extended release(capsule) or Instant release(tablet)?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
namazu (05-05-17), psychopathetic (05-06-17)
Old 05-05-17, 07:30 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,030 Times in 12,616 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should I feel guilty about asking for double the dose? My life has improved 100-f

That's certainly something to talk to the doctor about as long as you've been
taking Adderall for at least a month and side effects are at a minimum.

With some doctors, it works better tell them that the med is only lasting 4
hours and ask what the doc thinks the next step would be.

If you've got a good doc you can simply ask about taking a second dose to
cover the second half of the day.

But it would be better to ask for a second dose or booster dose than ask to
"double the dose."

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
namazu (05-05-17), psychopathetic (05-06-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-17, 08:38 PM

The side effects I experience with Adderall do not bug me at all. If I have insomnia it's often because I take it way too late for whatever reason (such as studying/cramming). I initially had a problem with grinding my teeth but it is no longer a problem. That's pretty much it.

And he gave me Instant Release. I really do think I need it twice a day; I just don't want to seem like I'm an addict.
The Following User Says Thank You to heythere999 For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (05-06-17)
Old 05-06-17, 06:15 AM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 16,095 Times in 7,986 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Holy crap...reading your post is like reading a direct reflection of the experiences I've had. I relate with everything but the drinking, losing things (luckily not an issue I've ever had to deal with like a lot of you guys out there) and the driving.

Heck, I even quit smoking just like you, and used to have HORRIBLE hygene issues (god how I don't miss those issues!).

I'd absolutely talk to your doc and ask for a dose adjustment. Tell him/her just how much adderall helps you but explain to them that you're only getting about 4 hours of effectiveness.
How miserable

I'm currently take some extended release adderall in the mornings and an instant release in the mid-later afternoon as needed.
I've always really liked the extended release (even though it only works for 5 or 6 hours for me, even though my pill doc swears it should work for at least 8 hours.../grrr). It's smoother than the instant release and my come downs aren't nearly as drastic. Extended is like taking 2 doses of adderall, only 1 of those doses works immediately and the other dose doesn't kick in until several hours later. So in other words, if you take 40mg of extended release adderall...it'd be the same as taking a 20mg instant release adderall now...then taking another 20mg 3 or 4 hours later.

Anyhow, thanks for posting. It's crazy how much of it I relate to.
Man, I thought for so long (until I found these forums a few years ago) that I'd never find anyone I could ever relate to. Who could ever possibly understand me. It still shocks me when I find people like you that have so many of the junk I've been through. I always thought I was so absolutely alone in my struggles.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

Old 05-06-17, 06:19 AM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 16,095 Times in 7,986 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by heythere999 View Post
I just don't want to seem like I'm an addict.
I've been on my adderall for something like 3 years now...have established a trusting relationship with my pill doc, and have proven to myself MANY times over that I'm no where near a drug seeker or addict...
And yet, to this very day, it's still something I worry a great deal about.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

Old 05-07-17, 07:32 PM

So how should I go about it with my psychiatrist?

I started off with 10 mg, then 20 mg, then 25 mg, now 30 mg. I feel like until I got further opinions from a psychologist, he was skeptical, but after last time he was very friendly and even said "don't waste money coming here if you need a refill just call me."

Anyways, some updates.

So this weekend I saw some friends I hadn't seen for months. One of them said stuff like "when did you get so smart? No offense" and "you act kind of different now." And another funny thing; I remember last year she called me an "average-looking guy" and last night when it was just me, her, and a couple other people in the room, she said "guys, isn't (my name) cute as ****? I would **** him right now" lol. Feels kind of good I guess since my ability to lose weight, have a better control over my diet, and increasing my exercise and energy level I guess led to stuff like looking better.

And can anyone else give perhaps provide some more reassuring messages as to not feel bad about Adderall use? I mean, it's legitimate, it's helping me, and there's nothing to be ashamed of right? In my opinion everyone has deficiencies, and obviously some more than others. I happened to have ADHD and I'm lucky enough to have a solution. Right? I'm just worried that it'll "rot my brain."
The Following User Says Thank You to heythere999 For This Useful Post:
l_ruth_ (05-07-17)
Old 05-08-17, 12:51 AM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,972 Times in 9,012 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

If you get into a constant pattern of more more more, and you're ignoring your doctor, your brain will eventually rot. Otherwise you are absolutely fine.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (05-08-17)
Old 05-08-17, 04:27 AM

The thing is, I'm pretty careful about my use. I know better than to, say, pop 493489384 pills at once. I stick to my dosage.

But seriously though, does anyone know how to figure out the right dosage? I feel like at 30 mg it's pretty good, though it could be just a tad stronger. Because, like I said, I still experience stuff like brain fog at 30 mg.
Old 05-08-17, 09:43 PM

PaulCamR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The thing is, I'm pretty careful about my use. I know better than to, say, pop 493489384 pills at once. I stick to my dosage.

But seriously though, does anyone know how to figure out the right dosage? I feel like at 30 mg it's pretty good, though it could be just a tad stronger. Because, like I said, I still experience stuff like brain fog at 30 mg.
"Could be a bit stronger" is something you might have to get past. Remember, Adderall doesn't make you perfect, it just helps balance you out. People who don't have ADHD can't focus all the time either.
Old 05-08-17, 10:38 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 16,431 Times in 7,858 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

And he gave me Instant Release. I really do think I need it twice a day; I just don't want to seem like I'm an addict.
It is very common for people on IR to take 2 doses a day. Usually, one in the morning and one about 4-5 hours later. IR is not intended to last all day. Needing coverage all day is normal and reasonable request. I wouldn't worry about that making you seem like an addict. You sound like someone who really benefits but for only half the amount of time necessary.

I would go with an open mind and not go in having preconceived ideas what doses you should be on. Trust your Dr. to make the right decision after you give him all the facts. I would probably avoid suggesting doses or that he double your dose but reiterate the need for help in the afternoon.

Good luck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (05-09-17), psychopathetic (05-08-17)
Old 05-23-17, 12:00 AM

When should I contact my psychiatrist to ask him to up it to 2 times a day?

Since, yeah, IR once a day means I only get benefits around 3-6 hours in a day. Until I take my Adderall, I'm extremely unproductive and get nothing done.

The other day, I had to wake up at 5 am, watch a 2 hour documentary, write an essay, go to the mall, buy a suit as fast as possible, go home quickly, drive an hour to school to turn in an essay then drive home, get ready, then go to an event with very little time to spare. Without Adderall I definitely would not have been able to that. Typically, without Adderall, when I have multiple things on my "to-do" list for that week; let's say, 5, I'll end up probably only getting 2 or 3 of those things done, as opposed to all 5.

But yeah in general without it in my system, I am extremely unproductive most of the time. Ideally, I'd like to take it within the first 30 minutes of waking up, and then again any time from 3-5 PM.

Would it be acceptable to contact my psychiatrist when it's been nearly a month since my last refill? This is supposed to last me 2 months, but for the most part I've been taking it twice a day the past few weeks... I REALLY don't want to run out.
Old 05-23-17, 01:06 AM

Also, can someone please calm me down about using Adderall? Every time I take it now, I have some anxiety because I'm constantly thinking "my brain is going to rot" "I'm going to have a stroke". Pls give some helpful commentary I want to be comfortable on this thing.
Old 05-23-17, 04:29 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,115 Times in 15,360 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

IMO, if you have given the IR once a day a week or two just to try it, I would contact my doctor asap and make an appt or leave a message requesting a call back. If someone were in pain and given pain medicine but it wasnt working, they would call or go in to find something that worked.
If you have a doctor that is knowledgeable about adhd, they should know that IR lasts about 4 hours and that you will need more than one dose. I see know benefit in waiting some alloted period of time to call. This is your life we are talking about here.

Quote:
When should I contact my psychiatrist to ask him to up it to 2 times a day?

Since, yeah, IR once a day means I only get benefits around 3-6 hours in a day. Until I take my Adderall, I'm extremely unproductive and get nothing done.

The other day, I had to wake up at 5 am, watch a 2 hour documentary, write an essay, go to the mall, buy a suit as fast as possible, go home quickly, drive an hour to school to turn in an essay then drive home, get ready, then go to an event with very little time to spare. Without Adderall I definitely would not have been able to that. Typically, without Adderall, when I have multiple things on my "to-do" list for that week; let's say, 5, I'll end up probably only getting 2 or 3 of those things done, as opposed to all 5.

But yeah in general without it in my system, I am extremely unproductive most of the time. Ideally, I'd like to take it within the first 30 minutes of waking up, and then again any time from 3-5 PM.

Would it be acceptable to contact my psychiatrist when it's been nearly a month since my last refill? This is supposed to last me 2 months, but for the most part I've been taking it twice a day the past few weeks... I REALLY don't want to run out.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (05-23-17)
Old 05-23-17, 04:32 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,115 Times in 15,360 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Also, can someone please calm me down about using Adderall? Every time I take it now, I have some anxiety because I'm constantly thinking "my brain is going to rot" "I'm going to have a stroke". Pls give some helpful commentary I want to be comfortable on this thing.
What makes you worry about this? Have you read or heard something like this to make you think it will happen? There is always misinformation out there about stimulants. It seems like you either hear really great things or horrible things. You have to always look at the sources and motivations behind every horror story.
You need to read something scientific about how these meds work and you will see that the science backs up the fact that they are a first line treatment for adhd.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (05-23-17)