ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Depression
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-17, 05:25 PM

be_an_adult is on a distinguished road
Where to go from here: ADHD Dx, Failed therapy for Depression

Diagnosed ADHD in the last year, started stimulant therapy 11 months ago. Before that treatment, I started developing some pretty nasty symptoms of depression, which have been coming and going since. I tried therapy through my college starting 8 months ago and stopped that 6 months ago due to it simply not helping, I only sat for one true session and the semester ended, the therapy itself was so much more a stressor than many of my exams... essentially I failed therapy. Now that I have even more symptoms of continuing depression which have not gone away despite mindfulness techniques, what do I do. I have not told my physician (the one who prescribes stimulant therapy) that I have been depressed, mainly because it feels odd to talk to her about it. Should I talk to her about it? If so, how do I frame the conversation?
Old 11-02-17, 07:33 PM
Contributor

Location: ny upstate where there are cows and trees and stuff.
DJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to all
Re: Where to go from here: ADHD Dx, Failed therapy for Depression

Tell her just like you told us. I'm sure she will have questions for you about it and be very interested in your mental state. Don't be afraid, it's what they do! By the way, we all feel odd. Don't let that stop ya.

There are several meds that help both conditions......you just have to find what works for you. It's rare to get the meds right the first time and often it takes several tries to hit the magic one for you and dosage.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJ Bill For This Useful Post:
be_an_adult (11-03-17), Little Missy (11-02-17)
Old 11-03-17, 12:34 AM

I'm probably going to do that, but by the time I can actually get to meet with her and get a prescription, I'll be back at College, which is 3 hours away (hard to keep a close eye on the loading phase/adjusting dosage at that distance). Not to mention that asking for a medication just feels wrong to me (also work in an ER so I both have experience in researching medicines properly and with drug seekers). It has gotten bad in the past, I had a particularly nasty episode last month where I had about a week of SH. What I've been researching are SSRIs, which seem like they'd be indicated, but have a possible risk of serotonin syndrome.

TL;DR: I'll talk to her, I don't want to feel like a drug seeker, close follow-up will be slightly difficult.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-17, 04:55 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,235 Times in 13,244 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

How many sessions did you have?

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 11-03-17, 09:47 AM

I met with someone once weekly for almost 2 months, but most of that was intake or "we're still trying to find you placement in the community just wait another week for actual help", had one actual therapy session where we didn't address the real problem of why I was there, we went over something that happened once (anxiety attack instead of the long-term depression), then the therapist's hours were terrible (if I can't wake up on time because of depression and ADHD for my classes what makes you think I can get up for therapy), and they kept having to cancel due to their own life things. Understandable, but it simply didn't work out for me. So eventually I said "forget this", took out that source of stress, and have since had a low opinion of the College's counselling center.