ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-18, 07:47 PM

jonsonville is on a distinguished road
Forum noob

Hey what's up,

My name is Jonny and I'm new to this forum. I'm 35, diagnosed with ADD when I was in middle school. Took Ritalin for a little while although it seemed to steal my personality, so I stopped. My younger brother was diagnosed ADHD from a very young age, and was on 60mg of Ritalin a day at 5 years old, which blows my mind. He went through many different meds, and when I went to college my mother gifted me with his old meds (I left the Ritalin, just kept the Adderall and dexedrine) and I would use them really only when I hadn't been to class for a while and needed to read the whole textbook in 3 days for a final. This actually worked out ok as far as grades are concerned, but information retention was thrown out the window. I haven't seen a doctor for my ADD since middle school, and since I was always extremely interested in the ways different drugs affected the mind/brain/body, I've pretty much just self-medicated and developed personal strategies for coping. Some worked some didn't. One resulted in my becoming an opiate addict. When I am in CONSTANT supply of opiates, I have absolutely no problems with concentration, motivation, anxiety, depression, social interaction, or really anything. But of course, growing opium isn't legal these days so keeping a supply had many of it's own consequences, so now I'm back where I started, an adult with ADD who has to juggle a million coping mechanisms because the one that works for me is too expensive and unavailable.

Wow, that's a lot more than I planned to say in an intro. See ya around,

Jonny