ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-18, 09:21 PM
Jr Member

CaptainSheridan is on a distinguished road
Just diagnosed this week.

As you read in the title. I was just diagnosed with ADD this week and I started my first dose of medication. I was surprised to find how calm and focused it made me. It is weird getting diagnosed with this at the age of 26. I have been living my whole life in a state of unfocused chaos and now everything makes sense as to why. I'm still trying to come to terms with the fact that I have this disorder though. Its a difficult thing knowing that I have this issue that I will have to deal with for the rest of my life, and I have almost slipped into a state of denial a couple times. I have noticed that the medication I'm taking does make me a bit uncomfortable when it starts wearing off. I find myself staring and it feels like i'm even less focused than I was before hand. I also noticed that last night I didn't seem to sleep very well, and i'm hoping that side effect eventually goes away. I have a few questions for you guys that are more experienced and versed in dealing with ADD.

How did you come to terms with the fact that you have ADD?

How did you start applying better habits to your life after starting medication?

How do you get a good night's sleep when taking ADD medication?

Do you ever have days where you don't take your meds just to return to baseline?

How do you deal with the negative side effects present when your medication starts wearing off?

and last but not least.

What other tips and advice do you have for someone that was diagnosed in adulthood?

Thanks for reading this, and thank you for having me on the ADDforums!
Old 03-04-18, 03:00 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all
Re: Just diagnosed this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSheridan View Post

How did you start applying better habits to your life after starting medication?
I always knew that I had ADHD growing up, but I was getting high grades due to my intelligence, so I was never flagged for ADHD testing. I wasn't treated medically for ADHD until my early 20s. For me, it was a lot of confusing and conflicting feelings and questions. How come I wasn't diagnosed earlier? I could have achieved more if I have been on medicine earlier! Oh no, will I need to take this for the rest of my life?

For me, I still have anxiety that leads me to procrastinate. If I could only start working on my tasks, the ADD meds would help me focus more. Even when I'm not doing anything productive, the ADD meds make me less restless/hyperactive.

Quote:

At night times, if the brain is both tired and hyperactive, then a small dose of stimulant can lower the hyperactivity, and allow the tired brain to fall asleep. A large dose of stimulant would simply wake up the entire brain!

Quote:

Do you ever have days where you don't take your meds just to return to baseline?
You should follow the doctor's instructions. I don't think that tolerance is much of an issue with stimulates. Once the optimal dose is found, it stays pretty stable over years. That being said, stimulates can provide a wide range of initial effects that wear off over time (for instance, euphoria, energy, motivation, etc). Don't try to chase these initial effects. It won't work, and it'll misrepresent that actual dosage that your need, and

Quote:

How do you deal with the negative side effects present when your medication starts wearing off?
It's common to add a booster dose to pick off from when the original medication has worn out. Ex. Adderall XR in morning, Adderall IR early evening

Quote:

What other tips and advice do you have for someone that was diagnosed in adulthood?
As an adult, you are in the drivers seat. Surround yourself with allies who will support you through your ADHD struggles. For people who lecture about how ADHD isn't real, you don't need to engage with them. Offer them some educational materials (Russell Barkley), and invite to truly understand the disorder before they ignorantly try to lecture you again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
CaptainSheridan (03-04-18), Kaia.S (03-04-18)
Old 03-04-18, 10:58 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,275 Times in 14,937 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I have been living my whole life in a state of unfocused chaos and now everything makes sense as to why. I'm still trying to come to terms with the fact that I have this disorder though. Its a difficult thing knowing that I have this issue that I will have to deal with for the rest of my life, and I have almost slipped into a state of denial a couple times.
Do not feel bad about not getting diagnosed earlier. Its sort of like wasting your energy from your energy bank- and there isnt unlimited amount of energy there.

Quote:
I had always known that I wasnt "normal" and knowing that there was a reason for it was a good thing.

Quote:
I'd love to tell you that its easy but for me its not. I have to work really hard to have habits that make sense. It takes me forever to have something stick- and its like practice- the more I do it, the easier it gets.

Quote:
For me, the medication helps me sleep better. I tend to take my booster dose late in the day and have no problems but I credit that to my sleep training that I went through and now sleep is like clockwork for me.

Quote:
Never. What is baseline? Uncontrollable symptoms that impair my life? The medication is prescribed for daily use (take xxx twice a day) not as needed right? I have found that consistency is key with meds.

Quote:
I dont have any but I dont know if that is normal. I do not get irritable but I also make sure that all the stuff I wanted to do is done and all I have to do is watch tv or have a nice dinner and am in for the night. I am an alcoholic and attend meetings so it really helps that I take a booster dose.

Quote:
Let go of the shame and guilt. Do not wonder about why adhd was missed or why you were not diagnosed earlier. Keep that energy bank full and use it wisely.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
CaptainSheridan (03-04-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-18, 11:04 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,275 Times in 14,937 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post

You should follow the doctor's instructions. I don't think that tolerance is much of an issue with stimulates. Once the optimal dose is found, it stays pretty stable over years. That being said, stimulates can provide a wide range of initial effects that wear off over time (for instance, euphoria, energy, motivation, etc). Don't try to chase these initial effects. It won't work, and it'll misrepresent that actual dosage that your need,
I agree.
Tolerance is like the big scary boogie man that people unnecessarily worry about. Yes, it happens but ime its rare, and only an issue after years of stimulant use. Plus, when taken at theraputic doses its not as common.

Quote:
As an adult, you are in the drivers seat. Surround yourself with allies who will support you through your ADHD struggles. For people who lecture about how ADHD isn't real, you don't need to engage with them. Offer them some educational materials (Russell Barkley), and invite to truly understand the disorder before they ignorantly try to lecture you again.
IMO it doesnt matter if you have people that understand adhd or not. Its none of their business.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
CaptainSheridan (03-04-18)
Old 03-04-18, 12:14 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
IMO it doesnt matter if you have people that understand adhd or not. Its none of their business.
Fair point!
Old 03-05-18, 12:42 AM
Jr Member

CaptainSheridan is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all of the great responses everyone. I will take all of this advice and knowledge to heart. Its been three days of medication now and its been working out great for me, except for slight bouts of anxiety and light sleeping (I'm actually not sure if I'm sleeping light, sleeping great, or just laying in bed with my eyes closed) but i have been functional when waking up so I guess it doesn't matter too much at this point.

I'm grateful for this support forum. Its helping me get through this scary time of my life.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainSheridan For This Useful Post:
CharlesH (03-05-18)