ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-18, 03:34 PM

Urobouros is on a distinguished road
43 and finally getting help

Howdy y'all! I stumbled onto the forum having only just recently acknowledged my ADD. My story is similar to a lot I've read. As a kid I was the class clown but did well enough everyone just thought I didn't care. I agreed for the most part but I think it was the beginning of my defenses. I developed a hearty ego propped up by my success in acting and with girls. Confidence goes a long way in both arenas and mine was absolutely unshakable! I've managed to graduate college with a math degree, get married, have a child and work my way up from the lowest admin to a full time broker but it's a struggle. When my wife & I went to counselling, our therapist suggested I have ADD but I didn't really look into it. We still have some doozy fights and I've noticed the severity and frequency of my symptoms picked up last year when I stopped drinking coffee. I finally got a couple books and did some real research. Now it seems sooo many of problems relate back to ADD. I'm sure I'm not the only who feels those online surveys were written based on their lives but dang I track so closely to them!! I'm still struggling with the grief a bit but at least the uncontrolled crying stopped Seriously though, I developed a Ritalin addiction while I was in college so I'm a bit nervous about medication. That's likely part of why I haven't been more proactive. I'm really looking forward to addressing my ADD head on with a professional but the knowledge so far has already helped stop some arguments.
The Following User Says Thank You to Urobouros For This Useful Post:
ToneTone (03-20-18)
Old 03-20-18, 03:47 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 22,820 Times in 13,485 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 43 and finally getting help

Hello and welcome
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

Old 03-20-18, 06:09 PM
ADDvanced Member

DeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to behold

Welcome Uro!

I am 46 and the realisation of having ADD grew over the past year too. It seems these conditions have a certain formula as to how they make our lives unfold, so i recognize a lot in your story :-)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-18, 09:23 PM

Pinkyswear is on a distinguished road

Welcome! I started me treatment at 42.
Old 03-20-18, 09:49 PM

The thing that has surprised me the most is how quickly my well crafted and long honed defenses have started to fall away. I've always struggled with confidence internally but all of a sudden I'm standing naked and not looking like Adonis! I admit there are times that I miss the blissful ignorance vs feeling all the guilt and remorse. But the upside is realizing how close I came to ruining my marriage without actually going over the falls!
Old 03-21-18, 01:31 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urobouros View Post
The thing that has surprised me the most is how quickly my well crafted and long honed defenses have started to fall away. I've always struggled with confidence internally but all of a sudden I'm standing naked and not looking like Adonis! I admit there are times that I miss the blissful ignorance vs feeling all the guilt and remorse. But the upside is realizing how close I came to ruining my marriage without actually going over the falls!
It's really common for everyone in the family but the ADHDer to notice how obvious the ADHD is!

Could you clarify a bit what you meant by your college ritalin addiction? What purpose was the ritalin serving for you? Were you able to self control your intake of ritalin?

I ask because I think people can move past their previous mistakes. Stimulants are the most effective treatment for ADHD, and if you're now at a point in life were you can take the meds responsibly, then I don't see why you shouldn't!

If you or your doctor are concerned about your past history, perhaps your wife could volunteer to dispense the medicine to you daily. Just a suggestion!
Old 03-21-18, 12:55 PM

I was never prescribed Ritalin. While I was home on a long weekend I snorted it with a friend and then went to an arcade. I ended up more than doubling my previous record in Galaga and had the best time. He gave me a couple pills to take back to school and, as if my fate, I ended up with a solid connection. I was burning through 1-2 grams per day by the end of sophomore year. I was doing well in my philosophy class but was emotionally unavailable so my acting classes suffered. I lost my connection at the end of the school year so went through a lovely week of withdrawal and that was it.

My first appt is still a couple weeks away but we've talked about this before. I'm quite confident I can take meds without a problem given the severely negative association I have with addiction. I've been around coke a couple times since beating that one and it's almost a clockwork orange response. That said, my denial was a rather powerful defense before to the extent that I fabricate memories to justify my anger. I'm struggling a bit with both the guilt/shame of such a long period of denial along with the fear that what I'm thinking/feeling at the moment isn't real. I went through an LSD period too and it was pretty easy to ignore the hallucinations because I was always aware that's what they were. Some of the feelings of being attacked when it's really just minor and/or legitimate criticisms are as real as the computer in front me so I'm second guessing everything. Then when I relax and am not on guard, I only realize I'm ten feet down the rabbit hole and yelling at my wife like a loon.

Honestly, I used to think ADD was over diagnosed so there's more than a hint of irony in my current predicament. Thankfully, I'm still a reasonably upbeat person and that's exactly the kind of thought that makes me giggle