ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-09, 12:54 PM

BFGuru is on a distinguished road
Do noises drive you crazy?

Or is this just a me thing? My kids start to play one starts to fuss and in the chaos of just being kids I become so completely overwhelmed I can't function. It stops my thinking if I'm working on something a I simply want to throw things in frustration.

I eventually end up yelling at them and then feel horrible, but I also noticed when more than one person is speaking at work or the noises of the restaraunt start kicking in (alarms for fryers and food that has timed out) I literally have to ask customers repeatedly what they are ordering because I simply can not focus on what they are saying, or worse yet hear because all I hear is the insistant beeping from the kitchen.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BFGuru For This Useful Post:
βĩο₱Ħعℓĩ (07-27-10), bp77 (09-03-09), Elandruss (09-30-09), firstdesserts (07-27-10), Paksenarrion (08-24-09), Pensosa (02-24-10), peripatetic (08-18-09)
Old 08-18-09, 02:30 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,368 Times in 1,290 Posts
mADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do noises drive you crazy?

You might want to check out the forum here on sensory issues. Yes, noises bother me, and if I haven't had enough sleep, it gets many times worse.

My whole life, I thought I was a freak because the sound of people eating, especially when manners are lacking, makes me want to murder someone. Seriously, it is as though every sound made is magnified and echoes in my head and it is all I can hear. Then I noticed a post in that forum here that showed me I'm not a freak, or at least not alone in being one, lol.

It is a common thing for ADDers to have issues with noise and their reactions to it.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mADD mike For This Useful Post:
βĩο₱Ħعℓĩ (07-27-10), ADHDTigger (08-22-09), Elandruss (09-30-09), kaileyb (11-20-09), Paksenarrion (08-24-09), peripatetic (08-18-09), shysmile (08-19-09)
Old 08-18-09, 08:33 PM
ADDvanced Member

tash11 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFGuru View Post
Or is this just a me thing? My kids start to play one starts to fuss and in the chaos of just being kids I become so completely overwhelmed I can't function. It stops my thinking if I'm working on something a I simply want to throw things in frustration.

I eventually end up yelling at them and then feel horrible, but I also noticed when more than one person is speaking at work or the noises of the restaraunt start kicking in (alarms for fryers and food that has timed out) I literally have to ask customers repeatedly what they are ordering because I simply can not focus on what they are saying, or worse yet hear because all I hear is the insistant beeping from the kitchen.
I used to brake the beeper for the fryers at work (I was the cook) so they wouldn't beep. I never set them but others would and it drove me nuts so I would brake them. :evil:

with kids I just can't ignore my kids. I think that is an instinct. We need to pay attention to them for their survival. But I can't hear anything at all when my kids are crying.

but I might have a sensory thing. I really hate the sound of the vacuum and lawn mowers. I use the heavy duty ear covers when I vacuum.

I also can't stand the sound of having a car window open. especially if it is just one. two can balance it out. but ac works better anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to tash11 For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (08-18-09)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-09, 09:23 AM

Thanked 3,048 Times in 1,382 Posts
shysmile has a reputation beyond reputeshysmile has a reputation beyond reputeshysmile has a reputation beyond reputeshysmile has a reputation beyond reputeshysmile has a reputation beyond reputeshysmile has a reputation beyond reputeshysmile has a reputation beyond reputeshysmile has a reputation beyond reputeshysmile has a reputation beyond reputeshysmile has a reputation beyond reputeshysmile has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mADD mike View Post
My whole life, I thought I was a freak because the sound of people eating, especially when manners are lacking, makes me want to murder someone. Seriously, it is as though every sound made is magnified and echoes in my head and it is all I can hear. Then I noticed a post in that forum here that showed me I'm not a freak, or at least not alone in being one, lol.
Oh my gosh!!!!!!!!! This drives me crazy too! I thought I was the only one, wow. Yeah I can't stand eating noises. I always felt like a freak growing up, and my parents could never understand why I sometimes randomly squirmed and shuddered for no apparent reason at the dinner table, lol.

I am sensitive to noise in general. If I come home from a long walk and my mom is vacuuming or my brother is playing piano it's like a nightmare. I like quiet after a long workout so I can recharge.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shysmile For This Useful Post:
Fortune (07-27-10), mADD mike (08-19-09), Paksenarrion (08-24-09)
Old 08-19-09, 11:59 AM
Jr Member

AlfromGA is on a distinguished road

Although I have issues with loud noises too, I think the thing that irritates me the most is hearing a clock ticking. Sitting in a relatively quiet room and hearing the tick tick tick is almost unbearable.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AlfromGA For This Useful Post:
A1A5KA (08-20-09), humandefault (07-27-10), Paksenarrion (08-24-09), tinywiney (10-09-09)
Old 08-19-09, 03:11 PM
Forum ADDvocate

sarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of light

I have a lot of issues with noises.
Chewing, breathing, clocks, fuzzy noises, the ones that I CAN'T control... they bug the hell outta me. I sometimes feel like strangling the person who's doing it. (lol@me.)

I am who I am, and sweetie, your approval isn't needed, no matter how much you think it is!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarey For This Useful Post:
kattsqueen (09-02-09), Paksenarrion (08-24-09), tinywiney (10-09-09)
Old 08-19-09, 07:42 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Marspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond repute

I hate ticking clocks, I've had to wake up at 3am and stuff my clock inside the drawer so I don't have to scream. And what about mysterious deep hums? I hear low level sounds all the time. I think it must be a transformer station or something. But I often hear a hum almost like the deep rumble a standing truck makes. I live in Bristol, there's supposed to be something called the Bristol Hum. But I hear weird noises everywhere I am.
I don't like the rum rum sound of Harleys. URgh.
I can hear that annoying pitched sound that only teenagers are supposed to hear, I'm 29. It's horrible.
And on certain occasions, I have heard sounds that sound like submarine clicks. I believe they are bats.
I hear all these sounds, and I can't understand human speech

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarey View Post
I have a lot of issues with noises.
Chewing, breathing, clocks, fuzzy noises, the ones that I CAN'T control... they bug the hell outta me. I sometimes feel like strangling the person who's doing it. (lol@me.)
The Following User Says Thank You to Marspider For This Useful Post:
Paksenarrion (08-24-09)
Old 08-20-09, 04:45 AM
ADDvanced Member

phEight is a glorious beacon of lightphEight is a glorious beacon of lightphEight is a glorious beacon of lightphEight is a glorious beacon of lightphEight is a glorious beacon of lightphEight is a glorious beacon of light

Haha this is funny. I hate eating sounds. My god, truly it almost feels like I need to punch something or scream (I am not the screaming type lol, mostly a very calm person). I remember once I was sitting at the table eating with family, my grandfather as well when he was alive, and basically 2-3 people at least were chewing loud... there was no conversation going on but I guess I couldn't take it.. and I'm not sure how to describe my reaction... I guess shudder is the proper word? I'm not sure, but kinda made that sound as if someone is in pain lol, and everyone was like wat? And I was embarrased cause I couldn't believe how I had just reacted, me being usually the calm one it was pretty out of the ordinary. Point is, some noises bother me a lot. It's like I become hyperfocused on them.

In school it's really bad. In the library I have to move around SO much. Sometimes people think it's okay to whisper in a quiet study area, and that can really bug me too. Foot tapping, page flipping, sticking-hands-in-a-bag-of-chips-constantly, people tapping their foot quietly but are wearing wind breaker type pants that make sounds... wow the list goes on. I spend a lot of time just trying to find a quiet spot in a 5 story library. Usually have to move around a good few times.

I just remembered in my biochem class, somehow in the lecture hall I would end up sitting in this spot, and this kid behind me would be clicking his damn pen like every 2 minutes. It was freakin aggravating, just thinking about it makes me feel ill haha. Heavy breathers... yea, definitely another one. All these noises bother me even during exams. It's pretty terrible, actually. Started wearing ear plugs after a bit and those helped a bunch.
Old 08-20-09, 10:30 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

JollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to all

People chewing gum loudly. . .not a closed-mouth chew, but a *pop* *snap* *chomp-chomp* *inhale* *slurp* kind of chew.

That's probably my biggest one.

Drives me abso-flipping-loootly nuts!!

Regardless of what other people say,
my tendency to overreact
and lose all perspective makes me a
theatrically interesting person.

Old 08-20-09, 12:36 PM
ADDvanced Member

A1A5KA has a spectacular aura aboutA1A5KA has a spectacular aura about

BFGuru: Me too! The other day, one of my neighbors had their carpets steam-cleaned. The noise nearly drove me batty! It was like my mind latched onto that one sound and I couldn't concentrate on or think about anything else. And I hear you about concentrating with a lot of noise around, too. Sometimes when I am trying to talk to someone in a busy place like a restaurant, I try to supplement what my ears are missing by watching people's mouths as they speak. Usually between my ears and my eyes, I figure out what they are saying. I think situations like this illustrate why "Attention DEFICIT Disorder" is a misnomer. If anything, those of us with ADHD have TOO MUCH, rather than TOO LITTLE attention. I like the way it's described in the book You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid, or Crazy?: Attention is like a radio. For those without ADHD, they set the dial on scan and one station comes through loudest and clearest. So they can devote their entire attention to that. If another station gets clearer, their "radio" switches to that, until it fades back and they return to the first station. Those of us with ADHD also have our radios set on scan. The problem is that, for us, all the stations come through with the same volume and clarity. This means that unless we turn off the scan and focus on just one station (ie: Hyperfocus), then we are left in chaos as our "radio" switches stations every few seconds!

Amy

Current medications: 40 mg Lexapro & 20 mg Vyvanse

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours."
- Thoreau
Old 08-20-09, 12:42 PM

hsoJ is on a distinguished road

Yes to eating/chewing/crunching sounds... and the sounds of people typing or texting. And breathing, be it my own or someone else -- awake or asleep. I keep the tv and fan on all night to drown out most of the other stuff. But now my tv has developed this buzzing static drone sounds that absolutely drives me batty.

So in other words; welcome to the family.
The Following User Says Thank You to hsoJ For This Useful Post:
arrested_truth (08-24-09)
Old 08-20-09, 05:21 PM

Thanked 27,038 Times in 12,619 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

*waves my hand*

I'm a member of this club too. I may have founded it 'cause I'm probably older than all the rest of you. Been making my family crazy for years because the noise absolutely makes me insane and I end up screaming.

OhMyGods how can you possibly work in a fast food place with this kind of sensitivity to noise? I can't eat in certain fast food places because of the buzzers and alarms.

I just took part in a discussion about this on a different forum earlier this week - especially about the noise that subwoofers make when the neighbors play their music too loud or someone drives by in a car with the music too loud. It actually makes some of feel physical pain and starts an anxiety reaction.

I can stand the sound of the vacumn sweeper if I'm running it, but not if someone else is. Can't stand the sound a blender or food processor makes. Don't even want to think about the sound of a dentist's drill (I pay extra for nitrous oxide/laughing gas) when I'm in the dentist's chair. I have to have the electric fan running at night to mask all the other noises so I can sleep, but if a fan isn't correctly balanced or squeaks it makes me nuts and I want to throw it across the room. How did I live with a snorer for so many years without murdering him?

I certainly understand about how too much noise totally makes your brain stop working - mine too. Also, I can't differentiate between sounds, like on tv or movies if there is music playing I can't tell what the speaker is saying. If two or more people speak at the same time (tv, movies or real life) I can't tell what either/any of them are saying. Of course I don't go to parties. Even restuarants are difficult and I generally sit there and smile at everyone because I don't have any idea what they're talking about.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 08-21-09, 09:55 PM

Thanked 1,995 Times in 1,112 Posts
Crazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond repute

YES YES and YES!!!!
Old 08-21-09, 11:24 PM
ADDvanced Member

eminorsoul has a spectacular aura abouteminorsoul has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFGuru View Post
I also noticed when more than one person is speaking at work or the noises of the restaraunt start kicking in (alarms for fryers and food that has timed out) I literally have to ask customers repeatedly what they are ordering because I simply can not focus on what they are saying, or worse yet hear because all I hear is the insistant beeping from the kitchen.
Shoot -- I wish I could remember what it was called -- my dad has an actual, diagnosed condition separate from ADHD concerning his inability to distinguish background noise from noise he intends to pay attention to. If someone speaks to him, and the radio's on, he has to turn it off, even if it's very quiet compared to the speaker's volume.
Old 08-21-09, 11:38 PM

Thanked 1,016 Times in 671 Posts
pADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to all

only sudden unexpected loud noises ...or senseless chatter around me...

but I actually concentrate better especially at the cat scan control panel with loud music...of my choice of course... blocks out distractions for me