ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sensory
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-17, 02:01 PM

wooddeb is on a distinguished road
noises bother me

I've just recently been diagnosed with ADD. Noises (chewing gum, clicking pens, clipping finger nails, loud talking) bother me. When I go out to a sporting event, church, etc, I almost immediately look around to see if anyone is chewing gum or making noises. At work I sit in a cubicle on a very busy hallway. It bothers me when people come by clicking their pens or talking loudly. I've tried using ear phones and listening to music, at work, but I'm in a job that involves being interrupted and up and down a lot.
I'm just wondering if anyone else has issues with noises and what can I do to get this out of my head and be able to concentrate.
The Following User Says Thank You to wooddeb For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (03-22-17)
Old 03-01-17, 05:57 PM
Jumping.. In slow motion

David is a name known to allDavid is a name known to allDavid is a name known to allDavid is a name known to allDavid is a name known to allDavid is a name known to all
Re: noises bother me

First, welcome to the community!

I don't think I'm as sensitive as you but extranious noises can drive me nuts too! I absolutely love my woman and we rarely have any issues, but occasionally, while watching TV or a movie, she twitches, flicks her nails, etc.. I can't recall how many little spats we've gotten into over this. The thing is, she's not always like that, but when she is... I have a hard time ignoring it.. Sometimes so much that I'll move across the sofa, or if at a movie and she's starts doing it, I'll sometimes move a seat over.. She claims that is is because of taking some heavy meds she used to take when she was mis-diagnosed as bipolar. (I believe it was actually situational depression) While that may be true to some extent, I would think if someone had been damaged by meds that it would be like that all the time.
Ok, I rambled on...
At least with me, my "situational awareness" (I call it radar) is almost always on high-alert. Noises as you describe break my concentration to pay attention to them. That's a fairly common trait for someone with ADD, and thus we often find them much more annoying than people without it would.
Old 03-01-17, 09:07 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 22,837 Times in 10,525 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

My granddaughter and I are both like this, although different things bother us.

She can't stand chewing noises and often eats alone in her room. I don't even
hear them most of the time.

I can't stand the sound of high heels on a hard surface floor. Ugh! Or the sound
of a two-stroke motorcycle engine. Or the tinkle of an ice cream truck music.

I'm also oversensitive to light and smells and touch. There have been a few
threads here about some of us having to wear soft comfy clothing.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
unstableAngel (03-08-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-17, 09:24 AM
Suspended Account

Wuvmy3kitties will become famous soon enough

Noises bother me too. Ever since I was a little, loud noises bothered or scared me.
My mom told me how, when I was very young (3 or 4), she would give me a bath and wash my hair in the tub with the water running. That water was SO LOUD it terrified me and I would keep saying, "are you done yet?" I felt so bad later on for my mom.

During car trips, if I got out of line my mom would literally scream and yell at me, going on and on....I plugged my ears because her voice was so shrill and loud.

Nowadays, I have to put earplugs or ear buds in to drown out noises. I ride public transit, and when someone plays with their gum, I have to sit as far back as possible so the constant snapping, clicking, cracking and popping isn't so bothersome. We also get some teens who ride to and from school and they can be loud with their constant joking and laughing. Wearing ear buds has been a great help in dealing with this. I also wear sunglasses so people will not accuse me of staring at them, or see my eyes. I have a problem with tending to look too long at someone or some thing, and I'm trying to break it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wuvmy3kitties For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (03-08-17)
Old 03-09-17, 10:26 AM

MissAnnThrope has a spectacular aura aboutMissAnnThrope has a spectacular aura about

I think there is even a term for it: "misophonia."

Leaf blowers are my trigger sound. (Thank heaven for white noise machines!). As are crying babies. (I know most people hate this sound, it is encoded in our evolutionary genes to respond to it. ). But I seem to bubble over beyond mere irritation and have to leave the room or store or whatever ....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissAnnThrope For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (03-09-17), tearsong (04-09-17), Wuvmy3kitties (03-09-17)
Old 03-09-17, 12:35 PM
Suspended Account

Wuvmy3kitties will become famous soon enough

OH yes crying or screaming kids and babies really get on my nerves. I ride public transit and if someone has such a child with them, I either try to block it out with my ear buds, or get off the bus. Yes, it bugs me *that* much.
Old 03-22-17, 01:17 PM

~kaka~ is on a distinguished road

I recently have been experiences the same issue too, any loud noise in the quite environment had been border me, I had to always put earphone whenever I'm taking public transport, walking on street or someone even at home. Sometime just a dropping of rain outside the window border me and creating many pressures, I would feel so stress and sometime until the stage that I cry. !
Old 03-22-17, 05:29 PM

Thanked 5,033 Times in 2,490 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

My neighbour is once again playing his music and TV too loudly and at inappropriate times of the day/week. He clearly doesn't have a day job, or any day time commitments. All I can think about are different ways to hurt him.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (03-22-17)
Old 04-01-17, 02:13 PM

Lostime is on a distinguished road

oh my god that is SO me. I can't stand noises. When I'm around people who chew with theirs mouths open I get so annoyed, not just because it's loud but because it's really rude and you're supposed to chew with your mouth closed. That's the noise that bothers me the most and I always find myself snapping at my family members for chewing like freaking cows. Another thing is my mom has verbal ticks and when she starts doing those nosies, I get so annoyed and frustrated that I either put on my headphones and blast the music or if I just go to the other room. It's so annoying. What I found helps is to try and ignore it or distract myself with something else and it doesn't bother me as much. Glad to know I'm not the only one who feels this way. Thanks for your post!
Old 04-01-17, 03:47 PM
Contributor

Location: ny upstate where there are cows and trees and stuff.
DJ Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDJ Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDJ Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDJ Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDJ Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDJ Bill is a glorious beacon of light

Slamming doors and sudden loud noises make me jump and go on high alert. I'm fine with thunder, etc, if I know it is coming by seeing the flash first.
Old 04-03-17, 09:49 PM

dormammau2008 has disabled reputation

all noise bothers me also I hear the tube in back the tv drives me nuts ....
Old 04-04-17, 09:33 AM
Contributor

Location: ny upstate where there are cows and trees and stuff.
DJ Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDJ Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDJ Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDJ Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDJ Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDJ Bill is a glorious beacon of light

Any background noise that makes it hard to hear speech is starting to bug me more and more. I can't make out what is being said when there is also a music track playing, usually at a volume greater or close to the speaker.

I also have noticed I can't stand the sound of anything running while I am working on a project, like yesterday my bud and I were putting the engine back in his old pickup truck and he likes to leave the tractor running. It was really getting me uptight, as I couldn't hear what I was doing. It is like closing the windows on a car going down the interstate, how I feel when he finally shuts it off. I don't know what was up yesterday but by the end of the day the add stuff just flat out kicked my tail. I was exhausted. And I still can't find the keys I let myself into the house with. or anything else that disappeared yesterday. I really wonder about me sometimes.

My hearing seems better than it has in ages due to the congestion finally leaving...I wonder if that's why it is bothering me more and more.
Old 05-09-17, 07:23 AM

mayhaps is on a distinguished road

Hey! I have misophonia and relate to this. I cant stand it. I avoid eating at the dinner table and have to have me earphones in. If i dont have earphones I have to leave, or I make repetitive sounds to mask the sound or wring my hands. Sometimes I have t punch my legs and if no one sees me I hit my head. It's incredibly overwhelming. I dont really know how to cope with it either. It just makes me upset and have intrusive thoughts. I suppose yu can try to ask folks politely to stop because it's distressing you instead of using a word like irritating or annoying. I undestand if you'd rather not do that, though. But you're not alone on this. Hang in there!